Cardio - good or bad?

Options
kevymetal_
kevymetal_ Posts: 11 Member
edited August 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
I have had a very stressful year and through poor dietary choices and some excess drinking, I have put on about 35 lbs. I'm back to tracking calories, eating low cal, high volume and high protein and trying to maintain a 500-1000cal a day deficit.

I go to the gym almost daily, but find I really like cardio to help manage stress. I do eventually want to build up some muscle mass once I lose some excess fat, but for the time being, cardio is what's enjoyable. The problem is there is so much online about how lots of cardio can actually hinder your weight loss. Is there actual truth to this? I mean, the basic science is burn more than you consume and you will lose weight. So if I burn an extra 500-800cal in the morning on the spin bike or treadmill, and still stay on track with my calorie instake, how would that cardio be working against me. I know excessive cardio can burn muscle mass, so I do a little bit of weight training to try and counteract some of that, but at the end of the day, my primary goal is to slim down a bit.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,692 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't end up really hungry from the cardio, so that you eat more or start feeling deprived, doing cardio every day shouldn't be a problem. Eat back most of your exercise calories, but pay attention so you don't eat back more calories than you burn. I lost 50+ pounds walking every day and running 5 days a week and have maintained that loss for several years.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    I'm like you, cardio helps me manage my stress. (Mind you, it wasn't always that way!)

The important things to keep in mind are:
    - weight loss is a result of a calorie deficit
    - the higher the deficit, the more risk of muscle loss, so if you increase cardio, also increase intake of calories. Obviously, weight training is also a good idea to lower the likelihood of muscle loss. And the less weight you have to lose, the smaller the deficit you should aim for to prevent muscle loss. (I don't have enough info to judge if 500-1000 calorie deficit a day is reasonable or not for you)
    - frequency of cardio should, imho, be determined by preferences and goals and need for recovery

In and of itself I don't see how cardio can hinder weightloss. But:
    - exercise can cause water retention, masking fat loss on the scale (this really isn't a valid reason to exercise less, imho, just something to be mindful of when weighing in)
    - if you push your body past its limits (not enough recovery) you might be so tired that you become less active in daily life which can partially compensate for the extra calories you burned during your cardio and perhaps lead to slower than expected weight loss
    - some people find cardio makes them hungrier (disproportionately hungrier than the calorie burn of the exercise). But if you track your intake, that shouldn't be an issue unless the hunger is uncontrollable.

As long as you fuel yourself appropriately in accordance with your exercise frequency and duration, and you are mindful of your recovery, I don't see why doing cardio should be an issue for weight loss.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    For me, a lot of cardio makes me pretty ravenous and makes it pretty easy to out-eat my burn...but technically, you get more burn-per-minute doing most cardio than from weight training. Granted, more muscle mass ups your "metabolism" so you're burning more 24/7, but with where you are at - do what you enjoy and just be careful about accurate tracking.

A lot of cardio the calculated burn is rather high for most people (like twice what they actually are burning), so I know a lot of folks tend to count only half of their exercise. Personally I find that is generally not the case, but I also tend to really throw myself into whatever workout I'm doing.

For me I enjoy lifting a lot more, so I focus on that, and add in little cardio workouts in various ways during my workout and day rather than going and doing a "cardio" workout.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean about too much cardio burning muscle or hindering weight loss.

If you're in a smallish deficit of 10%-20%, so probably about 250-500 calories for you, and you're getting plenty of protein, you should minimize muscle loss however you choose to get that deficit, especially if you are also resistance training which is highly recommended.

Note that many cardio machines over-state calories burned *and* they likely report total calories burned, not net. Bear in mind you'd burn around 100 calories in an hour doing nothing. So be careful about using that number to add to your eating budget for the day.

Recent Athlean video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-RT3MvTY_8
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Cardio in and of itself doesn't hinder weight loss or burn muscle mass. Excessive calorie deficits which can be caused by excessive cardio and not fueling that activity adequately can burn muscle mass and can hinder weight loss in that large calorie deficits are a major stress on the body and jacks with hormones, increases cortisol levels, and exacerbates adaptive thermogenesis.

I used to do a lot of endurance cycling riding over 100 miles per week...lots of cardio. I didn't have any issues, but I also fed that activity adequately with more calories and good nutrition. As a general rule, most health bodies recommend 150 minutes of light to moderate cardiovascular exercise per week or 75 minutes of more strenuous cardiovascular exercise along with 2x per week of full body resistance training as a matter of maintaining good health.

Logically, people run marathons, ride centuries, do triathlons and iron man...they're fine, and their training is likely far beyond the cardio you're doing in the gym. Of course, most of them also properly fuel their training with a lot of food.
  • kevymetal_
    Options
    Everyone has provided lots of great insight here. I definitely don't rely on what the cardio machine is telling me for calories burned. I use a Garmin watch to log my heart rate, work outs, steps etc throughout the day and it's pretty accurate as far as I can tell.

As for feeling super hungry after, yes, I usually am. But I work out first thing in the morning, and then make a super high (50-60g) protein, 400-500cal breakfast and I'm usually good until lunchtime. On most days my total calorie burn for the day is 3500ish calories so I'm trying to consume 2500 in a day. Protein is usually over 200g/day and I'm careful about too many carbs (definitely not Keto or even "low carb") unless I'm doing lots of physical activity that day.

I feel like a lot of people hate cardio so it gets a bad rap. But I agree with what a lot of you have said, if it's working and enjoyable, then do it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing. Carry on.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    kevymetal_ wrote: »
    Everyone has provided lots of great insight here. I definitely don't rely on what the cardio machine is telling me for calories burned. I use a Garmin watch to log my heart rate, work outs, steps etc throughout the day and it's pretty accurate as far as I can tell.

As for feeling super hungry after, yes, I usually am. But I work out first thing in the morning, and then make a super high (50-60g) protein, 400-500cal breakfast and I'm usually good until lunchtime. On most days my total calorie burn for the day is 3500ish calories so I'm trying to consume 2500 in a day. Protein is usually over 200g/day and I'm careful about too many carbs (definitely not Keto or even "low carb") unless I'm doing lots of physical activity that day.

I feel like a lot of people hate cardio so it gets a bad rap. But I agree with what a lot of you have said, if it's working and enjoyable, then do it.
    It sounds like you're doing everything right, though I still have a couple of questions:

1. If you're actually on a 1K daily deficit that could equate to two pounds lost per week, and if you only have 35 pounds to lose that's rather aggressive. You will surely lose more muscle mass that way too, especially since you aren't doing resistance training.

2. Estimating 3500 burned per day sounds high to me. That's presumably 1K or more additional calories from high daily activity and exercise. Maybe you're doing a *lot* of cardio. If I'm on my recumbent bike for 30 minutes I log that as 300 calories. I couldn't burn an extra 1K every day for very long if I tried.

I guess the scale will tell in coming weeks, how your rate of actual weight loss compares to expected.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "I know excessive cardio can burn muscle mass"

No that's a horrible myth. An inadequate diet and an excessive deficit can mean muscle has to be used for fuel but that's a last resort.
    It's a very good reason not to rush your weight loss.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

For me I enjoy lifting a lot more, so I focus on that, and add in little cardio workouts in various ways during my workout and day rather than going and doing a "cardio" workout.

Samesies!

I'd much rather get in a filthy lifting session and then take el Doggo for a walkie than "do cardio" as an actual thing.

• kevymetal_
    Options

It sounds like you're doing everything right, though I still have a couple of questions:

1. If you're actually on a 1K daily deficit that could equate to two pounds lost per week, and if you only have 35 pounds to lose that's rather aggressive. You will surely lose more muscle mass that way too, especially since you aren't doing resistance training.

2. Estimating 3500 burned per day sounds high to me. That's presumably 1K or more additional calories from high daily activity and exercise. Maybe you're doing a *lot* of cardio. If I'm on my recumbent bike for 30 minutes I log that as 300 calories. I couldn't burn an extra 1K every day for very long if I tried.

I guess the scale will tell in coming weeks, how your rate of actual weight loss compares to expected.

I've read anything more than 2lbs/week lost is unhealthy, but 1-2lbs/week is fine. I expect to lose a little muscle mass, but as I said before, I still do some weight training to counteract that. Honestly, there's a lot more fat than muscle to lose at this point haha.

And 3500 cal burned is bang on with any TDEE calculator I've used for my age, weight, height and activity level. Aside from the gym, I work in construction, walk my dog twice a day and am often kayaking or mountain biking in my spare time. You're right though, at the end of the day, it's the progress that shows if the numbers are accurate.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I've read anything more than 2lbs/week lost is unhealthy, but 1-2lbs/week is fine. I expect to lose a little muscle mass, but as I said before, I still do some weight training to counteract that. Honestly, there's a lot more fat than muscle to lose at this point haha.

And 3500 cal burned is bang on with any TDEE calculator I've used for my age, weight, height and activity level. Aside from the gym, I work in construction, walk my dog twice a day and am often kayaking or mountain biking in my spare time. You're right though, at the end of the day, it's the progress that shows if the numbers are accurate.

To the bolded: That's not exactly what matters, IMU. Researchers estimate that there's a limited amount of body fat that we can metabolize per day per pound of body fat we're holding on our body. After that, the body will try to compensate either by burning lean tissue (such as muscle) or slowing things down (adaptive thermogenesis, perhaps subtle, reducing calorie expenditure in various ways including fatigue, lowered core body temp, slowed hair growth or thinning hair, reduced immune function, etc.).

Granted, most of us aren't going to get to the depth of deficit that will trigger the worst of those things, but those can happen **, and bad effects at the low end of the continuum are fairly common (such as hair thinning, after a few weeks; weakness; or fatigue). I experienced some of that, accidentally losing too fast at first when MFP materially underestimated my calorie needs (rare, but that can happen, too).

From what I've read, there's controversy about how many calories of fat loss per day per pound of body fat is the limit, but I've seen numbers in the 30s. Personally, I'd prefer not to even get close to that, because there will be individual variation around the mean. (Besides, for me as a li'l ol' lady, muscle (re-)gain is especially difficult and slow. YMMV on that aspect.)

To me, what makes sense is some of the rules of thumb seen among folks here (and on the more sensible web sites): Not to exceed 20% of TDEE as a deficit (counting both deficit from intake and extra exercise that isn't eaten back); or losing no more than 0.5-1% of current body weight per week (with a bias toward the lower end of that unless so obese that current weight is an acute health threat, and a strong bias to the 0.5% if other parts of life are stressful - even if "good stress" - because deficit is a stress, and all-source stress is cumulative).

Just my understandings and opinions, though.

** https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1

As far as "cardio burns up muscles", I think high-level athletes in my sport are a reasonable counter-example. They aren't bodybuilders (by far) because that level of mass would be dysfunctional for performance. Maybe it's just me, but this woman doesn't look totally burned up to me - more like lean and strong - and I'll guarantee that at the time she did more hours of cardio on an average ho-hum training day than most of us regular folks do in a week, maybe even month. Yeah, generally rowers lift, too. Waaay more hours of cardio, though. (It's Megan Musnicki, BTW, at the time a US National Team rower.) Elite cyclists don't tend to have tiny thighs, either, do they?

musnicki03.jpg
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Just to add to what Ann said above (and what others have said), cardio, if you're working on a 1 RM (powerlifting) can potentially hinder that, but it certainly doesn't hinder muscle.

I remember a few years ago, at the World Cross Fit Games, they surprised the competitors with a Marathon row event. They were not happy about it. But the guy who won did the row in a ridiculous time (well under a 2:00 pace, which is absurd). Now, CrossFitters aren't even the strongest rowers, but if you think that guy did a Marathon row without ever training in cardio, there's no way he could have. And those guys are shredded.