how often do you have a "cheat" day/meal?

Options

Replies

• canuckgurrl
    canuckgurrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I cheat usually once a week. Saturday. I go to the gym on Sunday morning. I still make healthy choice we eat out
    once a week.
  • Trishintraining
    Options
    I use Saturday as my cheat day. It's really easy to stay on track Monday through Friday, because I'm the one making my meals, and they're just for me. On the weekends, my husband is home, and he's not too happy with my smaller portions and healthier meals. So every Saturday we have a date night, and go out to eat, and I just don't stress about it. I usually end up eating a couple hundred extra calories on Sundays, because we'll have a family meal with my parents or his, but then I'm back on track the rest of the week. It's been working out pretty great so far, I'll usually do an extra workout on Monday to ease my conscience about any extra calories on Sunday :P
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't look at it like cheating! Look at the big picture... you eat well and exercise most of the time: is one high calorie meal going to undo all that? NO! I don't plan for those days, I just roll with it when it comes. If I happen to be out all day and can't prepare my food, a family function, holiday, a craving, whatever! Enjoy the meal and get right back on track!

^^
    This. Just last night, I tried Smashburger for the first time. I hadn't had fries or a burger in a few weeks. I totally enjoyed it without guilt. I guess I must have been in a decent calorie range earlier in the day, since I weighed the same today as I did yesterday.

I will occasionally indulge on the weekends too. If the scale moves up a pound or two, I just get back on track Monday & the pounds come off within a few days. I don't eat like that all the time, but I like that I can eat those goodies and not totally deprive myself.
  • CraigG75
    CraigG75 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do it maybe once per week or every other week.. On the week I cheated I lost 2.2 lbs go figure
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I used to allow myself a cheat day or meal but now if I see something that I want I eat it. i don't deprive myself and I eat in moderation. Its not an everyday thing, or once a week, or once a month but I dont deprive myself or force myself to wait til that special day either. Do what works for you

^^This is what I do, also. I log my calories and make sure I get my fruits and veggies every day. Other than that, I eat what I want to. We have burgers every week and eat out several times a week. I also have popcorn at the movies and ice cream just about every day. I don't really feel a need to "cheat". :)
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was having a "free" day every week, which would sometimes become one or two days. My husband and I had a come-to-Jesus meeting about it. It just wasn't working for us, we didn't feel that those days were worth the calories. It doesn't mean we'll never eat greasy pizza again, it just means we don't need it every single weekend. We make KILLER homemade pizzas anyways :-)
    On the days when I do eat crap, I log it. There is nothing like a side of guilt to get me back on track. I have had "free" weekends where I miraculously dropped weight - but I've also had free weekends where I gained.
    So for the time being, there is no crazy "cheating" (I really don't feel deprived), but save those days for actual special occasions (birthdays/holidays), not just because it's Saturday.
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    This is a funny topic... I cheat at least once a week but if I do cheat then I do try to work out or just cut the calories earlier in the day so I don't go over waayyyy tooo much.. I usually know when I am going to cheat but I still try to make healthier choices than I would if I were eating badly again.
  • naturallynikki
    Options
    :wink:
    This is a funny topic... I cheat at least once a week but if I do cheat then I do try to work out or just cut the calories earlier in the day so I don't go over waayyyy tooo much.. I usually know when I am going to cheat but I still try to make healthier choices than I would if I were eating badly again.

^ ^ ^ What she said!
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    About once a week. Sometimes it's small enough that I manage to stay under calories, and sometimes I indulge a little more and get right back to it the next day. I'd say I have my more indulgent days every couple of weeks, and my smaller treats in between so that I never feel deprived. And like others have mentioned I find it helps to keep the cravings at bay, keep me in it for the long haul, and break plateau's when they come.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    If by "cheat" you mean go over my allotted calories for the day, I think once in 2 months. If you mean eat crap but stay within my calories, then probably once a week I'll have a few slices of pizza and/or a Diet Coke.

I've had a few times that I've eaten a crap dinner that went over my calories for the day, and I jumped on the elliptical or went for a long walk until I burned off enough to cover it, lol.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    daily
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I never plan to cheat. On a Thanksgiving, I probably would plan on cheating. Other than that, no. My suggestion is that even if you do decide that on certain days you'll eat more than allowed, that you enter everything you eat into MFP. Then at least you'll know how much you're eating. You may decide you don't want to have cheat days if you learn, for example, that each cheat day undoes a week of tough weight loss. I believe we need to get around the idea that pigging out is an enjoyable experience. Eating should be fun; eating to excess should not be enjoyable. We should continue to eat an occasional unhealthy dessert if doing so makes us happy and we're able to stay within our daily calories.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    We usually go out to dinner once a week so that is my cheat meal...we are foodies so have to enjoy those dinners! But I don't go crazy, I just try to eat smaller portions.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier for me personally to eat something "crappy" but stay within my allotted calories. That way, I don't feel guilty and still get to enjoy a lil treat here and there. EX--I had a cupcake on Saturday, but I counted it into my daily calories. Or, if you know you're going out to dinner, have a light breakfast/lunch and save up your calories so you can splurge more at dinner...
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not really sure how to answer. I "try" to have one once a week, as it said in some written information from my trainer. But I usually end up finding a way to fit it in to my daily calories, either by eating less throughout the day or exercising more. I frequently have days where I go over my daily go but never over maintenance calories. And only one day recently where I went completely over both by 1000 calories (I really enjoyed that day and didn't feel guilty one bit!)
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I cheat almost every Sunday. Football and Nachos..lol.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I try to eat light all day up to the point or after the point of the "cheat" because I don't want to undo the week of hard work I did.
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't look at it like cheating! Look at the big picture... you eat well and exercise most of the time: is one high calorie meal going to undo all that? NO! I don't plan for those days, I just roll with it when it comes. If I happen to be out all day and can't prepare my food, a family function, holiday, a craving, whatever! Enjoy the meal and get right back on track!

This!

I am not on a 'diet' ...i'm changing my lifestyle. And just like anything else, life happens. You can enjoy any of the foods you like, in moderation.
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Every 2weeks on my week end off work i take a day off from logging. That day i eat what i want but i focus on my hunger and really try to not over eat... I plan to have more day off like that as i get closer to my goal so i really learn to listen to my body! Im looking for a life change but i dont think i want to log my food all my life... Better start learning now!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    my husband has encouraged me to have a "cheat" day or cheat meal about once per month, and so far since Aug 1 when i started my new fitness plan, i have had one cheat meal. (James Coney Island, chili cheese dog + fries + double cheeseburger + coke) i am planning another meal for the beginning of Oct. does anyone have cheat days/meals, and if so, how often do you allow yourself to have an indulgent meal? thanks for sharing :smile:

I no longer have any cheat meals at all. The meal turns into a day and the day turns into a week...........you see the snow ball effect.

The way I eat many will find decadent, rich and indulgent so there is no need to eat anything less.