Calorie intake

Options
What’s everyone’s intake? Me personally I’m doing 1200 calories a day, but I don’t count fruit. So I may have a jar of fruit a day (strawberries, watermelon, grapes) or similar, but I don’t ever count it. If I search online it says I can technically eat up to 1500-1600 cal a day for weightloss. I feel like it’s to much for me. I also work out about an hour a day

Replies

• gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I eat slightly above 2000 calories. I would say you should probably count your fruit, since it can add up. But if several resources are telling you 1500-1600 is adequate for weight loss, experiment with that amount.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Why don't you count fruit? It's not super-high in calories, but it has enough calories that it shouldn't be unlimited.
  • dcatteberry2409
    dcatteberry2409 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don’t count it because I don’t know how.
    Now like I’ll count a banana . Or apple
    But grapes, watermelon, I’m not sure how to because idk the calories and weight for those and every time I search it there’s so many options so I assume I’m eating about z1500 a day with the fruit
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @dcatteberry2409 welcome to the fun of weighing things on MFP! To keep track of everything here accurately it is a good investment to buy a digital kitchen scale. Then you can cut off the amount of watermelon or bunches of grapes you intend to eat, place it on the scale and voila! It gives you a number in grams or ounces that you can then enter into the amt when calculating how much you eat. Usually the drop down menu will have an option for 1gram or 1oz - choose that option and then for servings enter the number of grams or ounces you are eating.
    You should do the same thing for bananas or apples because some are big and others are small. While it probably won’t make a huge difference, over time it does add up.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything! It’s a PITA initially but gets easier. My breakfast this morning was 1/2 cup oats, a sugar cube, 80 grams of black berries and 72 grams of blueberries! You’ll get good with the scale.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I exercise for 30 minutes most days and aim at a target of 1000 calories; but in reality eat about 1200-1600 daily. I often don't count fresh greens but always count fruit - especially bananas, grapes and melons. I can easily down 400 calories of grapes or watermelon in one sitting. I don't weigh every banana - but log each as 130 calories. In summer, I use my Yonanas machine to make fruit 'ice cream.' I don't weigh every fruit that goes into the machine, but guessimate the dessert at 200-300 calories - hoping to err on the side of overestimation.
    For sliced fruit I place the bowl on the scale before powering on the digital scale or use the tare function to zero the weight before adding the fruit. I use grams as the unit of measurement.
    You may have to search a few MFP listings before landing on one that lists calories per gram. There is a small arrow which opens a drop-down menu under 'How much?' which shows different units of measurement. You don't have to use the default unit displayed.
    If you only have a spring scale it will take a bit more math, but it might be helpful to list the weights of the empty dishes you use most often and simply subtract that number from the weight of the filled dish.
  • boberg1239
    boberg1239 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have set my maximum at 1600 calories a day with 50% coming from carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fats. Most days I eat about 1400 calories but am keeping my percentages about right. I also do not allow anything but water in my mouth after 7pm. This has helped with the cravings and calories.
  • dcatteberry2409
    dcatteberry2409 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thankyou guys ! I appreciate all the info. I got a scale today. And I’m thinking of doing a fast from 7pm to 10 am. No eating in between. Does anyone fast? I’m a diabetic so I have to watch it but night time is when I snack the most so it’s super hard to fight cravings at night. I’m going to start counting all my fruit
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've never thought of it as fasting, but I generally eat between ~10am and 6pm. I used to have very bad acid reflux - to the point of aspirating in my sleep. :o Since losing weight and not eating after 6pm, no more AR or reflux meds! I usually don't have any calories left after dinner anyway, so it works out just fine. At first I was hungry at night, but not anymore.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I eat anywhere between 1500-2000 calories. If you go to low like 1200 strictly your body is going to eventually get use to that and you plateau. I went through it. Don't go below 1500. It isn't good. You have to change your mind set on weight loss. It is hard cause you want to see quick results but fat loss is slow. As long as your in a deficit in some way you will lose weight slowly. I'll show you mine log I did for calorie intake. I guess im kind of zig zagging my calories. I'm not just strictly on 1200 cals. It's better this way to most likely a avoid a plateau. What I have learned though in my plateaus is regardless I'm still getting stronger when i keep up with my work outs and learning how to maintain. This is my lifestyle change. So I stopped harping on alot of things like scale number and I'm going with the flow.
    Also measure and count every thing including fruit. If you are on a calorie deficit you have too or else your most likely over eating..you can not only count half the time.
    Another thing as well you can eat any kind of junk when your craving. As long as your in your cal limit or at maintenance. It's okay to enjoy everything. There is no bad food. It is all about finding good balance with healthy food, junk and excercise. You don't have to be in a huge deficit to lose weight. I lost 42 pounds after my first baby and I'm down 23 after my second. 8 pounds to my goal.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited August 2022
    Options
    This is my calorie log and deficiency I add up every month. I know this is only right in theory I won't always lose the weight my calories add up too but it really helps me see it I'm on track
    TDEE- 2124 (144.8 pounds)
    Monday july 25-1710 cals deficiency 414
    Tuesday -1381 cals deficiency 743
    Wednesday -1661 cals deficiency 463
    Thursday -1563 cals deficiency 561
    Friday -1801 cals deficiency 323
    Saturday -1923 cals deficiency 201
    Sunday 1977 cals deficiency 147
    TCD(total cals deficit)= 2852 cals

Monday August 1-1421 cals 703 deficiency
    Tuesday August 2 -1746 cal deficiency 378
    Wednesday -1652 deficiency 472
    Thursday -1916 cals deficiency 208
    Friday -1602 cals deficiency 522
    Saturday -2483 cals (-359)
    Sunday 1596 cals 598 deficiency
    TCD= 2522 cals deficiency

Monday August 8-1422 cals deficiency 702
    Tuesday- 1496 cals deficiency 628
    Wednesday 1338 deficiency 787
    Thursday -1769 cals deficiency 355
    Friday-1661 cals deficiency 463
    Saturday-1766 cals deficiency 358
    Sunday
    TCD=

I'm going right to August 25th since i started this July 25 for a whole months view on my deficit each week. The lower deficit or couple times i went into negatives it is when I allowed more treats and that's okay. I still ended up in a deficit in the end for the week.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I should add. I'm almost 16 months postpartum (august 24 will be 16 mths pp) after having my second. I started cutting and working out more when my son was 2 months old. I'm averaging about 1.7 pounds a month. Which is indeed slower then I would like but i changed my mindset on weightloss. After my first (my daughter)I consistently lost 2-4 pounds a month but I was more overweight when I started after having her so I think that was why i lost it quicker. Im 5'5.5 in height..First baby 189 pounds end of pregnancy
    I was 178 pounds 6-7 months postpartum. Decided to give working out and eating healthier a try because I was indeed overweight
    I got down to 136 pounds August 2020 and found out I was unexpectedly pregnant JUST as I hit my goal lmao 🙈 but I thought it's okay I will do this all again it will be fine. And it is! I'm so close to my goal and look even more toned then my first weight loss journey because I'm doing more strength this time.
    Second baby I went up to 173 pounds , I lost almost nothing after having him..I only dropped to 167 before I picked back up with my work out routine and cal cutting 🙃 I'm now 144.2 pounds. Goal is 136...where I left off before I got pregnant the second time 😄

The point is it definitely is a slow process especially the second time around of having a baby (now I know what people say is true, weight loss after subsequent pregnancy is harder then the first).
  • Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don’t count veggies but I do count fruit ( except for berries). It’s the one thing I “took” from Weight Watchers that worked for me. I too counted 1200 calories. Not counting veggies incentives me to eat them. 75 pounds later this method worked for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    1850 plus exercise calories to maintain at 5'5", 120s pounds, female, age 66. Varies seasonally some, but eating around 2100-2200 calories most days. That's actually a little lower than true maintenance, because I bank a little to allow for occasional indulgences. I don't track as carefully now (in year 6+ of maintaining) as I did during loss and early maintenance, so I can't pin it down more precisely than that. I'm sedentary or near to it in daily life, before counting exercise.

When losing, 1200 + exercise was too low, got weak and fatigued, took a few weeks to recover even though I correctly quickly. I wouldn't do that again, personally.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Your calories sounds super low... I personally weigh everything. I like to see how much fiber am getting besides Kcal/CHo/F. Log it all. Its pretty easy to weigh/log once you get the hang of it. Also, like bottles you can set the whole bottle on the scale, zero scale out, squirt some on your food, then set back on the scale to see how much you've got on the plate. If you eat a jar/can of fruit a day, that can lead up to extra fructose in the syrup even if canned in water. Tip is to rinse it off before eating to get rid of some of that syrup. I love canned fruit but switched to frozen berries to (1) add more fiber and (2) less syrup-y. Fresh always got moldy fast. Frozen was easy-peasy.