Questions about High Intensity Circuit Training

Options
I'm a 57 year old female and I recently started going to a High Intensity Circuit Training class on a regular basis (going on about 3 weeks now). I feel very frustrated with it, and I think it's because I am used to doing separate cardio and weight lifting (though not recently). I want to use very good form, to avoid injuries, and in trying to use good form and do these exercises quickly, I don't feel as though I'm accomplishing much. Yes, I sweat. But will I ever really do a push-up? Or a real burpee? Or a real chin-up? I guess it's hard for me to see how I will every improve on the individual activities/circuit exercises, and that I'm essentially flailing around with no real objective or means of improving. Sure, I get some sort of workout, but overall, I'm frustrated. Any feedback?
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a modality that's ideal, for a variety of reasons. Some people find it particularly fun or motivating, so it may be perfect for those people despite not being (IMO) the A #1 theoretically ideal route to overall fitness . . . but it doesn't sound like you're finding it fun or motivating.

I agree with you that as a generality, fast-paced resistance-type circuit training has higher injury risk than slower movements emphasizing good form on every rep, especially as fatigue sets in. It's simply harder to maintain good form when going fast.

From a fitness development perspective, I'd observe that high-intensity fast-paced circuit training is not a modality that elite athletes do boatloads of, in order to initially develop or later improve their elite capabilities. That makes me question why it would be the ideal way to develop fitness in us regular Janes and Joes.

I usually suggest that people trying a new class commit to a full set of sessions (often these things come in semester-like chunks), and give the new thing time so they get past the "newbie blues" stage where almost any semi-complicated thing can seem impossible to do well. At 3 weeks in, you may be reaching a stage where you've given it a fair chance, though.

I have a strong bias that exercise should ideally be fun, or at least tolerable - that way, we actively want to do it, and will keep going with it longer term, rather than procrastinating or skipping it at the slightest excuse. Right now, it doesn't sound like you're having fun.

Just my opinions/observations, though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Sweating isn't a fitness goal.... :)
    Often getting too hot can compromise your workout.

If your exercise choice doesn't match your goals (it really doesn't seem to....) and you aren't enjoying it then do something else.

I far prefer to do my cardio and strength training separately so I can fully focus on the activity and do them to the best of my ability and without compromise.

Some people like the huffing and puffing, constant movement and flitting from thing to thing of circuit training and simply want to feel they are working hard.
    There's another group of people that (some) circuit training suits their specific fitness goals.
    But you don't seem to fit in either of those groups.

PS - Cynical me also feels circuit training is promoted far too much as it's a good earner for personal trainers face-to-face in classes and online irrespective of people's capabilities or goals.
  • exp01020sr
    exp01020sr Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 and sijomial - Thanks for your feedback!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    That's a tough class. I did those. I would go at your own pace and make sure you are getting proper form. If the whole class is doing a gazillion burpee's and you're able to get a few in, great. If everyone else is pounding out the pushups and you're doing just a few, even on your "knees", then great. Keep your proper form and your head up. Eventually you will get better at it.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of this style class and I enjoy them, but....
    I concentrate on doing the exercises properly rather than just throwing myself around. Luckily my PT is also the class instructor, we've worked a lot on form and she also prefers me to do fewer reps correctly than flail about like a lot of the other participants do.
    Sometimes it feels unfair that she is so hard on me when it comes to form compared to everyone else. But she knows that I can do them right and that's what I pay her for. I'm sure I get a lot more out of the classes than some of the people who race through doing half the exercise.
    Also I have got quicker over the years, (and stronger although I also do separate cardio and strength work), I regularly do fit tests, and can do 80+ sit ups in 2min (proper.sit ups, hands against chest), and 60+ press ups in 2min. My squats may be slower than some but I'm going atg and am quicker than I was even a year ago.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A little late to the game but...... these purportedly HIIT / Crossfit type classes are very fashionable at the moment but IMO are largely a recipe for injuries. My vote would be returning to what you were doing previously, separate cardio & strength and focusing on good form & slow but steady gains.
  • michael6186
    michael6186 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Also late but...

I think there's a time and a place for (almost) everything but everything also comes at a price.

HIIT workouts often aren't "HIIT" as they should be to help you progress. They serve to make you tired and burn calories in the now practiced style and your very experience is pretty much the sad reality of most people's experience with these style of workouts.

I have nothing against HIIT when done properly but I also understand from a time and business viewpoint why it's done the way it is. Doesn't make it right but when there's a market for it...

I would recommend finding something that fits your goals a little better. It sounds like your goals don't align with the methods you're using.