Why am I not losing weight

Options
so I weigh 99 kg. male 175 cm. I was 102 a week ago ..I just started weight loss from last week. eating one big meal a day making sure it's all tracked too. swimming alot daily. but my weight has been stuck at 99 since last friday. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. and also I'm kinda obese so isn't my weight supposed to be dropping alot in the first month? like alot of water weight. Because I know I'm eating in portions..working out daily etc.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    You just need to change your outlook. Weight loss is not linear, our bodies are comprised of much more than just our fat mass. Fluctuations of water weight and food waste in our system happen daily.
    You lost 3 kilos in a week, so your weight loss is not statief by any means. If you go 4 weeks without losing weight, then you can start to think about what might be wrong.

Just simply working out when you're not used to it can lead to water retention for muscle repair, masking fat loss on the scale.
    Depending on how many calories that 'one big meal' contains, you might also be undereating, which is also a stress factor and can lead to extra water weight weirdness.

Patience, just patience.
    To illustrate, this is my weight loss the past year. Up and down, but more down than up since the overall trend is clearly downwards.
    lbq9zk5mod5l.jpg

• sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ohh I see. Yeah that makes sense. I assume I eat more than 1200 but less than 1500. I stopped tracking calories . but also I'm kinda nervous now. I think I'll start tracking calories again in order to lose a kg a week. I have another question. Can I have one cheat meal a week if I eat enough for maintenance calories ? Or is it a bad practice
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Personally I don't believe in 'cheat meals':
    - the moral implications (who am I 'cheating'? My body 'counts' the calories regardless)
    - I eat foods I enjoy in portions appropriate for my goal looking at my average, but individual days vary depending on how much exercise I'm doing, my mood, circumstances.
    There are obviously higher calorie days and lower calorie days - as long as my average intake is on point, I don't stress about it.

I would caution about restrict-binge cycles (where people eat very low calorie for a time and then lose control by bingeing) but if you are make a conscious choice to eat more calories occasionally, I don't see a problem with that. You'll just need to take into account that it can cause a temporary uptick on the scale from extra food waste in your system and water weight (so don't worry about that uptick).

I'm more worried about your potentially low intake. As a 5ft5 woman starting at 94kg I ate more than you while losing weight! 1500 is generally considered on MFP to be the bare minimum for men to ensure adequate nutrition, and on top of that you're exercising too. Eating too little can lead to muscle loss and I would hope you're more interested in losing fat :smile:
  • sultank101
    Options
    yeah true . I didn't realize I was eating really low. I have one last question..so when I'm setting up my goals in the myfitness pal app..I put my weight and then my goal weight (70 kg). my goal is to lose a kg a week. but I'm confused about the activity level. I go swimming daily for an hour . some other days treadmill for an hour. what should I put for the activity level? light active or ? because it's showing here I have to eat 1600 kcal daily. or could you tell me how many calories should I start with
  • Lietchi
    Options
    sultank101 wrote: »
    yeah true . I didn't realize I was eating really low. I have one last question..so when I'm setting up my goals in the myfitness pal app..I put my weight and then my goal weight (70 kg). my goal is to lose a kg a week. but I'm confused about the activity level. I go swimming daily for an hour . some other days treadmill for an hour. what should I put for the activity level? light active or ? because it's showing here I have to eat 1600 kcal daily. or could you tell me how many calories should I start with

The way MFP works is:
    - your activity level should reflect how active you are in daily life excluding exercise. So that means: your job, commute, hobbies, chores, pets/people you take care of,...
    - you log your exercise on top of that, which increases your calorie goal for that day
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Your swimming and treadmill are absolutely nothing to do with the activity setting.
    It's just for your routine daily/weekly activity and excludes purposeful exercise which you log on the day you do it and get a higher calorie allowance on that day to keep your deficit at the level you selected.

Your job and all the bits and pieces of daily movement (child care, gardening, home maintenance etc.) are what you are capturing with the activity setting. e.g. when I joined I had a desk job but with all the walking and other movement built into my routine day I was easily Lightly Active. When I retired that activity level moved up another notch as I sit down less and move more.

BTW - I'm the same height as you and lost comfortably on 1800 + exercise calories.
  • sultank101
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

The way MFP works is:
    - your activity level should reflect how active you are in daily life excluding exercise. So that means: your job, commute, hobbies, chores, pets/people you take care of,...
    - you log your exercise on top of that, which increases your calorie goal for that day

but if I eat the calories I burned back..isn't that gonna be bad?
  • sijomial
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

The way MFP works is:

but if I eat the calories I burned back..isn't that gonna be bad?

Absolutely not!!
    The idea of calorie counting is to count (estimate) both calories in and calories out. Your exercise isn't taken into account until you actually do it.

You have picked the most aggressive, fastest weight loss allowed - 1kg a week means 1,100 calorie deficit a day. If you burn more that number goes up and that's a bad idea for both sticking to your diet long term and can also mean you lose far more lean mass (the good stuff!) than is ideal.

Think ahead to maintenance at goal weight - you MUST take your exercise into account then and it's a good habit you can and should start now.

Don't rush the process, think long term and build habits that will help you for life and not just a few months of dieting.
  • sultank101
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Your swimming and treadmill are absolutely nothing to do with the activity setting.
    It's just for your routine daily/weekly activity and excludes purposeful exercise which you log on the day you do it and get a higher calorie allowance on that day to keep your deficit at the level you selected.

Your job and all the bits and pieces of daily movement (child care, gardening, home maintenance etc.) are what you are capturing with the activity setting. e.g. when I joined I had a desk job but with all the walking and other movement built into my routine day I was easily Lightly Active. When I retired that activity level moved up another notch as I sit down less and move more.

BTW - I'm the same height as you and lost comfortably on 1800 + exercise calories.

what was your weight when you started your journey?
  • sijomial
    Options

90kg.
    Maintaining long term and currently around 76kg. I get to eat a lot to maintain as I exercise and lot and have a highly actvity level.
  • sultank101
    Options
    [

90kg.
    Maintaining long term and currently around 76kg. I get to eat a lot to maintain as I exercise and lot and have a highly actvity level.

Oh that's amazing. So youve been eating 1800 calories since the start. I wanted to ask if it's fine to set the goal to lose a kg a week rather than a pound. And if I just aim to burn 500 calories a day via treadmill or swimming along with eating 1800 calories ..its fine right? or I can maybe set at 2000. Also if you don't mind can I discuss this with you on ig or something? I need help a bit more
  • sijomial
    Options
    [

90kg.

Oh that's amazing. So youve been eating 1800 calories since the start. I wanted to ask if it's fine to set the goal to lose a kg a week rather than a pound. And if I just aim to burn 500 calories a day via treadmill or swimming along with eating 1800 calories ..its fine right? or I can maybe set at 2000. Also if you don't mind can I discuss this with you on ig or something? I need help a bit more

I started at 2000 + exercise calories but after a period of several weeks I wasn't quite making my goal of 1lb/week loss so reduced to 1800 + exercise calories.
    It's an experiement you have to run for yourself. My activity, exercise, food and exercise logging accuracy won't be the same as yours.
    You are heavy enough to lose weight faster than me at the start but do you really want to make a hard job even harder? Doing it right and doing it fast often aren't compatible.

Now mostly eating 3,000 - 4,000cals to maintain.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    so I weigh 99 kg. male 175 cm.
    I assume I eat more than 1200 but less than 1500. I stopped tracking calories .

1. you are a man of average-ish male height - you should be eating more than 1500 calories.(I lost weight on 1460 and I am a female, 12 cm shorter than you, 30kg lighter starting weight and almost certainly older than you)
    However assuming it won't work - you need to track and log at least reasonably accurately to know how much you are actually consuming.

2. it does not matter if you consume you calories as one meal a day or 20 mini snacks - it is the daily total that counts.

3. 1kg (2.2 lb) per week is too aggressive for almost everybody - and certainly for an average height man of 100 kg - that is certainly overweight (BMI 33) but not morbidly obese

4. weight loss is not linear and "since friday" is a very short time frame -if you lose 3 kg in 1 week it is likely there will be a little lull before next loss shows up.
  • sultank101
    Options
    [

90kg.

I started at 2000 + exercise calories but after a period of several weeks I wasn't quite making my goal of 1lb/week loss so reduced to 1800 + exercise calories.
    It's an experiement you have to run for yourself. My activity, exercise, food and exercise logging accuracy won't be the same as yours.
    You are heavy enough to lose weight faster than me at the start but do you really want to make a hard job even harder? Doing it right and doing it fast often aren't compatible.

so you ate the calories you burned from exercising right? and what excercises did you do?
  • sultank101
    Options

1. you are a man of average-ish male height - you should be eating more than 1500 calories.(I lost weight on 1460 and I am a female, 12 cm shorter than you, 30kg lighter starting weight and almost certainly older than you)
    However assuming it won't work - you need to track and log at least reasonably accurately to know how much you are actually consuming.

2. it does not matter if you consume you calories as one meal a day or 20 mini snacks - it is the daily total that counts.

3. 1kg (2.2 lb) per week is too aggressive for almost everybody - and certainly for an average height man of 100 kg - that is certainly overweight (BMI 33) but not morbidly obese

4. weight loss is not linear and "since friday" is a very short time frame -if you lose 3 kg in 1 week it is likely there will be a little lull before next loss shows up.

now I understand. I guess I have to be patient. i guess I'll increase it to 2000 . thanks alot.
  • sultank101
    Options
    [

90kg.

so you ate the calories you burned from exercising right? and what excercises did you do?

I'll do what you do. I'll increase my intake to 2000 and track it daily. but is it fine if I don't eat the calories I burned from working out ? and I'll burn 500 daily
  • sijomial
    Options
    [

90kg.

I'm a fairly serious cyclist and my calorie burns are both long duration and easy to estimate accurately.
    My other main exercise is strength training and the MFP database entry (in the CV part of the diary) is a pretty modest estimate.
    Because my exercise burns are very variable (from zero to thousands) the MFP way of accounting for exercise is far better than averaging it out for me.

But don't copy me, make your own path.
  • sultank101
    Options
    [

90kg.

I'm a fairly serious cyclist and my calorie burns are both long duration and easy to estimate accurately.
    My other main exercise is strength training and the MFP database entry (in the CV part of the diary) is a pretty modest estimate.
    Because my exercise burns are very variable (from zero to thousands) the MFP way of accounting for exercise is far better than averaging it out for me.

oh alright. so basically I should eat the calories I burned ..got it. And no haha I'm not copying but since you said you were the same height and around the same weight I figured even I should start with 2000
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    [

90kg.

oh alright. so basically I should eat the calories I burned ..got it. And no haha I'm not copying but since you said you were the same height and around the same weight I figured even I should start with 2000

Other people's experience is other people's experience. I'd lose weight slowly on 2000 total calories daily, as a 5'5" (165cm), 120-something pound (57ish kilogram), 66 y/o woman. I know of another woman about my height here (a bit younger, a bit heavier, lower body fat) who'd lose like a house afire on 2000 calories (around a kg loss per week, probably). Still other women who are my height, weight and age would gain weight on 2000 calories a day . . . some few of them would gain quite rapidly.

Believe MFP, and use the MFP approach (log and eat exercise calories). Or use a decent TDEE calculator (if your exercise is consistent and you don't want to log exercise when you do it) and believe that. The recommended calories those give you are basically the population average for people similar to you. That's a good starting point - much better than some other random person's experience.

Follow that recommended calorie level for 4-6 weeks, then compare your bodyweight results to the results you asked MFP or the calculator for (X kg per week). Then you'll know how close to average you are, and have an idea how to adjust your goal to get the results you want.

It can work. Best wishes!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options

now I understand. I guess I have to be patient. i guess I'll increase it to 2000 . thanks alot.

well, no - thats not what I am saying.

Don't randomly increase it to 2000 either.

Put yours stats in to MFP, choose a less aggressive rate than 1kg per week and then eat the amount it tells you to. logging as accurately as possible to make sure that is the amount you are really eating.

Log your exercise and eat back at least some of your exercise calories

and expect hiccups along the way - as long as the trend is downward over time, that is fine. it wont be a steady amount every weigh in.

If , after 1 month, it is not working - ie you havent lost weight since your starting point - then adjust accordingly.

and yes, patience.

A marathon, not a sprint.