The_Fat_Optimist – This Time weight loss is a side effect

Options
AIP4ever
AIP4ever Posts: 58 Member
40.8 lbs down. I am proud of myself but I also realize there is much more where that came from. Too much maybe? Whenever I get too excited, I sit down and look at myself in the mirror. It pulls me back down to earth. I am still all belly, triple chin, no neck, lots of extra fat on my back, almost like a hump.

I am super heavy. 363 lbs start weight December 2021 and now, as of today, 322.2 lbs. I am hoping to see a ‘2’ in front of the number by the end of the year. I am not a size, just a row of X's, four to be exact but the shirts are getting loose now and longer. It took me eight months, but to be honest, I wasn’t really serious until May this year. Something clicked and all by myself, I started to get serious.

This time it’s different. I am sticking to the AIP (Autoimmune-diet) to get healthier. I am so busy eating right, that weight loss has become a side effect. Sometimes I feel hungry, especially in the mornings and I am not surprised. My body is used to 1,750 calorie-breakfasts. Does McDonald's miss me?

I don’t focus on the weight, all my concentration goes on my meals. I plan, I order, I measure and cook what I am allowed to eat. Fruits (very limited because I am borderline diabetic) Veggies, the whole rainbow, but no beans.

No gluten, no alcohol, no caffeine, no dairy, no eggs, no nightshades (sweet potatoes are allowed) no artificial sugar, and no processed food. First I thought it would leave me with nothing to eat, but I was wrong. Organic meats and fish, grilled, smoked, boiled and baked. So many vegetables I have never tried (I like most of them). I feel like I am detoxing and my body thanks me.

I have a food scale now and measure my portions. I realize how out of control my eating habits were. I can live comfortably with 4-6 oz of fish and two cups of vegetables. I am quicker full now. That surprises me too. I step on the scale every day with excitement even if it shows the same number. Not gaining is a win.

I am strict. When your health is at stake there is no cheating. I feel better, so much better. My doctor is proud of me. She thanked me for trying and wishes that all her obese autoimmune patients would at least try. She makes me feel good. I love to send her updates now, she always responds.

Overall I am feeling so much better. I could taper down on the Prednisone. Now I take 17.5 mg instead of 30 mg/day just four months ago. My pain is down (on a scale from 0-10 from a 6 or 7 to a 1 or 2) with no more pain pills. I am thinking about slow-dancing in my living room soon. My husband bought me flowers when I hit 35 lbs. Red roses, he is happy and proud of me. He was worried when I started to get that big but too kind to say something drastic.

Walking and moving will be tough. Are there even exercises for obese people like me or do I have to invent my own? I have stayed in my house for too long -now I want out and mingle again. I am dreaming of a future when my autoimmune disorder will be in remission. I hope for mobility and a normal weight. Bye-bye electric scooter? Soon I will dance through the grocery store. I dare myself!

Sorry for the long post. I am on my way to better health, and while weight loss is just a side effect, I am still in awe about all of it. I am thinking of taking pictures of me and perhaps update here regularly if that’s alright?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this wonderful read. Its a breath of fresh air. Its a wonderful feeling when you know deep down, you have nothing to loose but the pain caused by the autoimmunity. Keep going, I'm willing you along your way to better health.

I wonder what your husband will do to mark your goal, Roses for 35 lost is brilliant. May be hearing him say a deeply sincere, I love you, meaning for who you are and all your efforts because he knows how much being healthy means to you, will be what he comes up with.

I know you will get there. Wishing you both long lives and happiness.
  • walkintofit
    walkintofit Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes!!! U Can!!! take pictures, not for us for U!! your health is what matters, Ditching meds that way is AWESOME! Keep it up and Keep on moving!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude and motto: weight loss is a side effect. You are rocking this! Keep it up!
  • snpatt
    snpatt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your journey! I'm dealing with trying to eat just a portion (harder than it seems) and exercise with regularity. I happened across this fitness instructor on FB and it sounds like you might like her "Chair to Fit" exercises that she offers for free on her FB page: https://www.facebook.com/FitnessbyJulie. She shows how to take baby steps to exercise, by starting with doing them from a chair, which seems like a less intimidating place to start if you have limited mobility or some pain.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don’t use the word “lovely” very often, but your post was that: lovely. I hope you post routinely on your progress. Love it.
  • AIP4ever
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Thank you, to each and every one of you, who took the time to reply to my post. It feels good knowing that I am not alone and it looks like I am not the only 'Fat Optimist' either.
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Thank you for this wonderful read. It's a breath of fresh air. It's a wonderful feeling when you know deep down, you have nothing to lose but the pain caused by the autoimmunity. Keep going, I'm willing you along your way to better health.

"Nothing to lose other than pain" I love that so much, it's so true. What better motivation could I ask for?

• AIP4ever
    Options
    I think our best bet is put on some music that makes us feel good, and just do the "Steppin' Side-to-Side Dance" for awhile. Do a song, then two, then three, etc. Then do the "Steppin' Side-to-Side-and-Front-and-Back Dance". Keep adding moves.

To be honest, just walking from the house to the back of the yard is exercise, or going up the stairs. I love the side-to-side dance. I found a chair workout routine to get my balance back and I might try that. Thank you for all your advice.
  • AIP4ever
    Options
    I don’t use the word “lovely” very often, but your post was that: lovely. I hope you post routinely on your progress. Love it.

"Lovely" is not a word that people use when they see me, so I feel extra special right now. Thank you for that.
  • AIP4ever
    Options
    snpatt wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your journey! I'm dealing with trying to eat just a portion (harder than it seems) and exercise with regularity.

I appreciate the thought, but will not spend money on a Facebook exercise video.
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get too excited, I sit down and look at myself in the mirror. It pulls me back down to earth. I am still all belly, triple chin, no neck, lots of extra fat on my back, almost like a hump.

I think you're absolutely amazing, and I'm so happy for you! But if this is you reminding yourself you haven't done enough, please don't. You're doing WONDERFULLY and I don't want you beating yourself up. So that's on orders from some stranger on the internet. (also, that flab will hang out a while--it melts DOWN and sags around you before it goes AWAY)

For the record, I'm at 220, but I also have an almost hump that is just fat. you're gonna lose yours, and i'm going to lose mine!
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Your post is everything! What matters most is our health and it seems that you are taking it well in hand.

When I started trying to exercise in January I discovered that there are quite a few seated exercise videos posted on YouTube. Just do what you can do. That is how I started out on my exercise regimen. They are really quite good and they are free. Just search for "seated exercise".
    Or just send me a message if you would like me to send you links to the ones that I used.

You are doing so great!!
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You've done an amazing job already and I admire your dedication
  • kjratliff55
    kjratliff55 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great start. Make this a life style Not A Diet. Cutting those calories down works every time and MFP will help keep you honest with yourself. As for exercise; I did not even a regular walking habit till I was under 275 or 250. One added note....cutting food intake can of course cut needed vitamin intake. A good Multi -Vitamin and perhaps a few suppliments can help alot. A "plug" for a suppliment my wife uses - Nomorbidity - it helps her.

All best,
    Kelley
    (315lbs in 2016 155lbs today)
  • AIP4ever
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Great start. Make this a life style Not A Diet. Cutting those calories down works every time and MFP will help keep you honest with yourself. As for exercise; I did not even a regular walking habit till I was under 275 or 250. One added note....cutting food intake can of course cut needed vitamin intake. A good Multi -Vitamin and perhaps a few suppliments can help alot. A "plug" for a suppliment my wife uses - Nomorbidity - it helps her.

All best,
    Kelley
    (315lbs in 2016 155lbs today)

What you suggest is an appetite controller without any vitamins. I appreciate the thought, but 'No' I think I can control my appetite now but I need to get more vitamins. That part makes sense! Thank you
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight lost so far; you're doing great!! I love that it's a "side effect" of your healthy way of life.

"Are there even exercises for obese people like me or do I have to invent my own?"
    I felt this comment. You autoimmune disorder and constant pain make your battle so much harder than mine, but I have struggled with how all the fitness classes at my gym are not built for obese people. Anyway, it's great that we live in the age of the internet; other people mentioned it but I think if you just search on YouTube, there are probably a lot of options out there! I hope you find some that you love.
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I started walking in my backyard doing laps with my dogs in close pursuit. 10 minutes at a time is a lot less mental space than 30 minutes. Put on some favorite tunes!
  • TicTacToo
    TicTacToo Posts: 76 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress! If you want to dance in your living room, with or without your husband, then the websites GoNoodle and Just Dance are heaps of fun, even for those of us with two left feet :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!