Hello!

Options
I’m 55 years old 5’3” and I have 100 pounds to lose. I have high blood pressure and I’ m pre-diabetic. I also have a bad back because of the weight. so for now I can only lose this weight by calorie deficit. Hopefully the exercise will come later. I also have a genetic heart condition.

I need friends on this app- I need to see other peoples experiences and I need accountability. If you’re interested in that please friend me and I’ll friend you back

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty sub-par MFP friend (more of a Community gal, I guess), but I wanted to stop by your thread to say hi, and welcome!

For me, just weight loss got rid of my high blood pressure, and it's been solidly normal for almost 7 years since (still in a healthy weight range, after 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity). Ditto for my high cholesterol/triglycerides. That all happened when I was age 59-60, and I didn't increase exercise to do it. (I was already reasonably active, but I don't think that's essential for weight loss.) I was lucky enough not to have blood sugar issues, but I was and am severely hypothyroid (treated with meds).

What I didn't predict was the quality of life improvement - in so many ways - from being at a healthy weight, with good health markers. Now age 66, I feel great. I can do things I couldn't begin to do in my 40s, and I think I actually feel "younger" now, in health and vitality terms.

I'd encourage you to stay active in the Community here, maybe check out some of the challenges or motivation groups in those parts of the Community. This can work, and age for sure isn't a barrier.

Wishing you an excellent outcome!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @Winnieboo2021 I was in the same boat as you when I started with many of the health issues you mentioned. All of them except for the heart condition. I also started 100+ lbs overweight and I woke up every morning with a very painful lower back. When I first started I could barely last 5 minutes walking slowly around my house. I have an open floor plan so it didn't seem like I was just walking in circles. I added a minute of walking every day until eventually I was walking 30 minutes twice a day. And you know what my back pain disappeared somewhere along the line. I attribute this to both the weight loss and moving more. To date I have lost 80 lbs and feel so much better. I have more energy and move so much better, easier. By the way, I am 69 years old. The community forums have been so helpful. You can get a lot of great advice and support here. You can do this!
  • Winnieboo2021
    Winnieboo2021 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you to both of you for your inspiring stories. ❤️❤️