Question...do I keep going?

Options

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Girl! You look fantastic! And you don't look underweight.

Congratulations on such a fantastic victory!

I don't know how much your body lift will affect the weight on the scale, but the more important factors are how you feel about yourself and if you feel that you are where you need to be to maintain mental, physical and emotional health.

It may be worth have a body fat measurement to see if you fall within the healthy range at this point or if you have a little 'hidden' work yet to go!

As far as diet sabotage... I think diet is a dirty word. Using the term seems to give people some 'official' right to comment on your food choices. When someone offers something not in my meal plan for the day that I am not WILLING to rearrange my meal plan for, I simply say thank you for offering but No. I offer no explanations and give no room for comment. NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm all about being the healthiest I can be, so if 180 is the ideal weight for your height and build, I say keep going! You may also want to ask your doctor for their opinion. If you need a new support network, add some new MFP friends! Feel free to add me. :-)
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yes!!! people get uncomfortable when others succeed in such successes they wish they could do. be proud. keep strong!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! I think people don't realize what the scale is telling you versus how you are carrying your weight. Also, there may be a slight bit of jealousy. When a person is successful in losing so much weight, those around them may start to feel less of themselves and bad that they don't have enough will power to lose the small amount that they carry around with them. Keep going until you feel you are where you want to be. It is your life and the only one that needs to be happy is yourself.

Congratulations!!!! :happy:
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You do look great and I can see why people might be saying that you should stop, but I think your stated goal sounds reasonable for your height, so it's not like you're trying to starve yourself to death. As long as you keep eating healthy stuff and exercise in a healthy way--you should go for your goal. People may feel threatened by your weight loss--you've been so very successful, so you might reassure them both that you goal is good health and that you continue to value their support and friendship. Your success is an inspiration to me!
  • Just_Bethy
    Options
    If you are hungry then you need to look at what you are eating...no one should be hungry!!! That makes anyone miserable!!! Do you eat frequently..? Balancing your fats carbs and prots...Check your intake for your height and weight...Lose slowly and steadily rather than rushing it....Hate to think anyone is hungry :(
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Haven't been through a loss that big but was going to suggest maybe maintaining for a month to let people get their headspaces adjusted to your new size then getting back into it. However, with your December deadline I can understand that may not be viable and, as long as you're doing resistance training, the numbers you're aiming for aren't too low.
  • methetree
    Options
    Keep up the awesome work. You look simply amazing and what an inspiration.
    The goals you set for yourself are what matters. Don't feed into the negativity.

As long as you are healthy and happy, that is what matters.

I'd say keep going! Perhaps they are simply overwhelmed at your amazing transformation and can't figure out anything else to say.

You are fantastic!
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The people around you are probably comparing 'mental pictures', and the difference between before and now is so dramatic, it seems like too much. Or they could just be negative people. Who knows why people say things like that? If you are really doubting what your goal weight is, consult your physician. Other than that, do what you feel is right for you. Who cares what all the naysayers think?!

You Look GREAT!!!
  • CherryTop
    CherryTop Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keep going til your are in your BMI zone ... if you plan on living a long life you can not do it very well carrying around extra weight
  • Tia_Connelly
    Options
    Don't let anyone slow you down! You have clearly made life altering changes that have drastically improved your life and fitness levels. You've done great and we all know it wasn't easy. Congratulations on coming so far! If you feel like weighing less is in your best interest, don't let anyone else take that choice from you. Never underestimate the power of a quick physical either. You and your doctor know what's best. I say, GO FOR IT!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    LOL...YES! Miami! Lots of overweight people here. : )

Thank you so much for the support. I think I need to keep going too... just struggling today (SOOOO HUNGRY) and looking for positive reinforcement.

Good luck to you!

Your weight loss so far is amazing! And I say you should keep going until you are in a healthy weight range. Since you've lost so much weight, maybe it's time to change your weekly weight loss goals and increase you daily calories so that you're not so hungry (or - are you not eating your exercise calories)? If your goal is to be within what is considered a healthy range, no one should deter you from that.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You're gorgeous! Not too thin, but looking wonderful. WHAT an inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing! This encourages me to keep on plugging.

They may be jealous, they may just not be able to adjust to the "new" you yet and so are not at ease with it, they may worry that you'll suddenly become anorexic or something. Whatever, you set your goal knowing what you wanted and what is considered healthy for your height. I'd stick with that unless something other than naysayers make you reconsider. Future health (as well as feeling GREAT about yourself) is worth a lot more than the opinions of some misguided people, no matter how well intentioned they may be.
  • CherryTop
    CherryTop Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    DO NOT LISTEN TO THE SABOTAGERS
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Keep going for now, just don't drop out of the healthy range. I think people are instinctively and subconsciously alarmed when people they care about lose a lot of weight because they look less like themselves, and because for most of human history, weight loss was NOT a positive sign. People suffered substantial weight loses when they were ill or hungry or both. That's not the case here, so don't worry about it. They'll get used to the new you.
  • jpd10905
    Options
    If you are hungry then you need to look at what you are eating...no one should be hungry!!! That makes anyone miserable!!! Do you eat frequently..? Balancing your fats carbs and prots...Check your intake for your height and weight...Lose slowly and steadily rather than rushing it....Hate to think anyone is hungry :(

Hungry stinks : (

I am eating well and a very balanced plan. I eat every 3-4 hours, too. For some reason I've just been starving all day! LOL. Dinner was broiled tilapia and roasted veggies and just didn't cut it. I want peanut butter. ; ) But I'm going to a run/walk with the dog and tomorrow is a new day!

Thanks for the support. It helps!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Most people don't have an accurate idea of what XYZ pounds looks like on someone else. They hear you say "I want to be 170" and they think that's a really small number, so they imagine an exceptionally thin person. While they could be intentionally trying to sabotage you, I would give the a little more credit than that. Just write it off as them not knowing what a healthy weight looks like. Keep doing your thing.
  • jpd10905
    Options
    DO NOT LISTEN TO THE SABOTAGERS

I won't -- I'm listening to you all! You are fabuous!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Congratulations!! You've done a wonderful job and look absolutely fantastic!! Stay with it!!

I too have heard that I'm too thin and should weigh more - then when I tell them how much I weigh they don't believe me, claiming that I don't look like I weigh that much. But I'm happy where I'm at right now and so you too will know when you reach that comfy zone. :flowerforyou:
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is amazing and you look wonderful! I am only 5'2" and I weigh 133 which is also at the top of my healthy weight range. I want to be at about 120. I started at around 175 at my highest. My family knows me at this weight (133) and they do not say I am too skinny. They tell me I look good. The people who only know me as being heavy keep telling me I am too skinny and that I am soon going to disappear. I don't know if it is because they only know me as being fat or if I am making them feel bad about themselves. All I know is that I am still not happy with my body. I don't really care what my weight is anymore. I am more focused on toning and losing inches and hopefully the scale will go lower as well. As far as support, you will find plenty of it right here on this site. I know I have. Keep going and be in the best shape you can be! And let them make the comments, just don't let them bring you down! Once again, awesome job!