2»

Replies

• MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    rek0qpoz96i0.jpg

d0vcm59t4q1b.jpg

azagnnznkxlf.jpg

Blitzed everything together then poured into a Creami pint container, prepared 13 g of sea salt dark chocolate for mix-in, froze both separately, processed the pint, then ran the mix-in cycle. Topped with additional cherry (33 g) and chocolate bits (4 g).

Family gave this a thumbs-up. Nutrition info is for the full recipe, less the mix-in and toppings. I had 1/3 of the pint, with toppings and mix-in, it came out to 181 kcal with 17 g protein.

Going to try this again but switching up two components on Saturday... we'll do salted caramel syrup and chocolate protein powder.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    Cherry sorbet

d3gftmus1d1z.jpg

5zs3yivj3nd6.jpg

Blitzed all the ingredients together in my blender.

x2a17ewku367.jpg

I think the syrup could probably be doubled and the Swerve omitted, will be trying that in the future.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    "Great-Grandma's Homemade Ice Cream"
    (More of a gelato, based on recipes I've seen, but definitely tasty either way. Recipe is unaltered by me, and it's a whopper for calories per batch, rolling in around at an estimated 2,618.)

2 cups of milk
    2 cups of heavy cream
    3/4 cup sugar divided into 1/4 c & 1/2 c
    five large egg yolks
    a pinch of salt
    2 tsp of vanilla extract
    vanilla bean halved & seeds scraped out (optional)

In sauce pan over low heat whisk the milk, cream, optional vanilla bean, 1/2 c sugar & salt and slowly bring the mix just to the boiling point, do not boil.

While that is heating up using a mixer or blender wand whip the egg yolks adding slowly the 1/4 c sugar until the yolks are a very light pale yellow.

Temper the egg mix by slowly adding the hot mix and then pour back into the pan & continue cooking over low heat until the mix thickens slightly, just enough to leave a thin coating on the back of a wooden spoon, do not let it come to a boil, this should only take a few minutes.

Pour the mix through a strainer & then add the 2 tsp vanilla & let cool to room temp then place in fridge for at least 4 hrs, overnight is best.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Not an ice cream recipe but a dessert based on ice cream which makes it sympathetic to following an asian meal. I first ate this at a yakitori restaurant and needed to recreate it at home. Vanilla ice cream topped with a drizzle of miso caramel sauce
    https://food52.com/recipes/18618-miso-caramel
    dehydrated (or deep fried) spiralized sweet potato for crunch, toasted sesame seeds and finely diced candied ginger. My version used dehydrated sweet potato. Served here with a fortune cookie.
    58p8wbz63e18.jpeg

• MelodiousMermaid
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Vanilla Ice Milk

So I tried to do a calorie- and finance-friendly ice cream. Here's what I used:

4 c whole milk (960 g)
    1/2 c allulose (100 g), split
    5 large egg yolks (came out in the low 80s for grams)
    2 t vanilla (10 g)
    2 g salt

I essentially followed the recipe two posts up for prep (my Great-Grandma's recipe).

I call it ice milk because while it was scoopable after processing, it didn't have the creamy texture that her recipe came out with. I knew that it was coming though, since I cut out all the cream. It was passable, even delicious in a sundae with fresh strawberries and Walden Farms caramel. Everything in the picture came out to 401 kcal. Without the dark chocolate it would have been only 246.

Will try another vanilla ice cream next weekend and report back.

kwojwtwi5yk2.jpg
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    "Regular" Vanilla Ice Cream

This was a calorie reduction attempt based off of my Great-Grandma's recipe. I used the same instructions, but changed the amounts of some of the recipe components.

vwnwli8ouf8q.jpg

The result was about 900 less calories per batch, which makes about 4.5 servings by my guesstimate. Here is the information for an approximate one cup serving (note the grams, as this is what I use to measure):

0yvd33l1vn0d.jpg

The result was pretty darn tasty. I think this might be somewhat scoopable without processing through a Creami/ice cream maker, as I was able to spoon some from one container to another, but it was far more pliable with processing. Not quite as creamy as the traditional recipe, but was very good on its own. Serve reasonably quickly, though, as it does melt a bit quickly, though slower than the ice milk recipe.

p9tzg5af4z0z.jpg
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I’ve had several requests for this recipe after putting the oic on my feed, so here ya go:

Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

~3.5c skyr (350gr)
    ~3.5’ish c water or enough to bring recipe to 7 total cups (next time I’m going to try coconut water, which will add 17c/serving but I think it’s worth it, though not necessary)
    ~65 gr sugar free dry instant chocolate pudding mix (Kroger/Albertsons has very good sugar free puddings, cheap)
    ~Tsp coconut extract (3-5gr)
    ~1.5oz Jordan’s Coconut Skinny Syrup

Entire recipe is 554 calories (makes six servings at 93 each)

I use the ninja Creami. This fills the three cups to just above the fill mark, so slightly more than 3 pints. Freeze overnight (or follow your own ice cream maker instructions. This should work in a Donvier type, too. )

Mix on “lite” setting and then again on “remix”. Volume will increase with mixing until it completely fills the tub and has the same texture as a DQ type
    soft-serve.

Top with spray whip cream (10-15 cal per serving, depending on brand). Maraschino cherries are 5 each, Hershey’s Sugar Free chocolate syrup is 5 for a generous serving, and I also used three gr freeze dried coconut chips I whacked with a rolling
    pin to crumble. This added about 65, so grand total 159 for a large cereal bowl full of evening goodness.
    l0pkls3774hf.jpeg
    81qcu5ocp4b6.jpeg
  • springlering62
    Options
    Have been making chocolate with peanut butter powder, but discovered actual peanut butter tasted better and gave creamier results. A serving of peanut butter divided over six servings of ice cream only adds 30 calories each, so is acceptable.

Had been making the chocolate with a pinch of cayenne mixednin. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Husband requested a blueberry ice cream which sounded disgusting to me but ended up being probably the best we’ve had so far.

We were out of skyr and low fat yogurt, so I used plain whole milk Greek yogurt and low fat cottage cheese, vanilla pudding mix, a dash of Jordan’s Simple Syrup, and a 140gr serving of blueberries, topped off with water to reach the full lines of the three tubs. It was absolutely amazing and super creamy. I’m going to experiment more with whole milk yogurt. Divided by six servings it’s only about 15 calories more, and the difference in texture was noticeable.
  • springlering62
    edited December 2023
    Options
    This pomegranate ice cream was delicate, different, and delicious:

Per pint tub:

1 serving Skyr or Greek yogurt
    18gr sugar free vanilla pudding mix
    1.5 servings pomegranate jelly or jam or spread about 23grams)
    Jordan’s simple syrup (to taste, optional)
    Ice water to reach fill line

Blend and freeze
    “Creamify”

Top with pomegranate seeds

If you like super tart tastes, 4 gr of pomegranate molasses is plenty to top with.

The ice cream will be white without a tint, but will have a pomegranate taste. I used arils i had frozen a few weeks ago, microwaved them, and poured the juice over top, too.

Have used similar recipe with strawberry jam, “fruit of the woods” jams, and a really nice “summer fruit” spread Lidl sells seasonally.
  • springlering62
    edited January 19
    Options
    Marmalade Ice Cream

Per tub:
    1 serving skyr or Greek yogurt
    12gr sugar free vanilla or lemon dry pudding mix
    3 servings (60gr) orange or lemon marmalade
    1 ounce (28gr) Jordans Simple Syrup
    Enough ice water to reach 2.33 cups for all
    For lemon, a drop of lemon extract if you have some

* sounds like a lot of marmalade, but marmalade and jellies are pretty reasonable when divided by two servings. The mix (especially the lemon) will taste bitter and unpalatable upon blending, but will mellow overnight and be sweet, but not too sweet.

Blend
    Freeze
    ”creamify”
    Serve with a squirt of whipped cream

The orange tastes like a PushPop, lemon tastes of lemon meringue.

150’ish (depending on marmalade type) per serving (makes two generous servings)
  • springlering62
    edited January 19
    Options
    Don’t know if I’ve posted this one:

Super Low Cal Root Beer Float

1 serving skyr (100cal)
    Dash of vanilla extract
    20gr sugar free vanilla pudding mi. (60 cal)
    Jordan’s simple syrup 10 gr
    Water to reach 2.33c total

Blend freeze creamify.

(The extra pudding mix will make the vanilla ice cream extra creamy.)

Divide into two large glasses (this will foam!!!) and serve with a can of Barq’s Diet Root Beer apiece.

80 calories per serving.