Help deciding on a target weight

Options
So I just calculated my body fat index and it's coming out at 20%. Which seems to imply I only need to lose another 52 lbs to be at 5% body fat. That's a big difference from the 161lbs the BMI chart says I need to lose.

In either case I still have a long way to go but I wish my target didn't seem to keep moving around.

Any suggestions on finding a good target weight?

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i used the US navy height-weight standards. for my height, 6'3", the max allowable weight before they start doing a pinch (BMI) test is 216. my goal weight is 210.
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Maybe focusing on smaller goals will be better for you until you get closer to your ultimate goal. Try shooting for 50 lb goals, then once you get to a certain point, focus more on where you want to end up. :-) Good luck on your journey! Sounds like you've made great strides already!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I think it is a personal issue...what do you want to set your weight at?

I set mine at losing 15lbs..then I reached the 15lbs and now I want to lose another 15lbs to reach myself at the top end of my bmi for being in a good weight.

IMO I wouldn`t focus on it too much..set yourself a goal and then readjust when you feel that you can x
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Why not have a target in terms of body fat rather than weight? 5% is very low even for a bloke, if you want to get it low 12% is probably a good target!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    I don't know how you made your calculations because 5% is very low. Guys with well-defined abs aim for 4% according to my brother who used to do body-building.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    for reference 4%bf is the lowest a male can possibly go and it's only for a few hrs

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

http://thisiswhyyourejacked.com/a-body-fat-percent-picture-guide
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wish I could keep myself motivated with smaller goals but I need to know at some point I'll be able to focus on maintenance.

If 5% is too low a goal for BFI then I'm even more confused.

I know a 30 inch waist would indicate a much lower risk factor for several medical conditions but if I focus on waist size I'm concerned I'll lose motivation. At least with weight loss I can see change daily whether it's good or bad which keeps me "in the game."
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Its actually not good to judge your weight loss on a daily basis. Your body fluctuates from day to day. Focus on losing one pound at a time, and you'll get where you want to be. :-)
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Its actually not good to judge your weight loss on a daily basis. Your body fluctuates from day to day. Focus on losing one pound at a time, and you'll get where you want to be. :-)

Focusing on 1 lb at a time might work if I was under 200 or even 300 lbs but at my size my weight fluctuates by 7 lbs easily over the course of a day. I weigh myself at the same time every morning so I have a constant for comparison. If I weighed myself less often it would be too easy to just fall out of the habit. Experience has taught me that the only willpower I have is dependent on intense focus and constant repetition. Allowing myself a day off from a habit I want to build us how I went from going to the gym 4-5 days a week to not going for the last 10 months.

I appreciate your concern though.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you are the kind of person who needs a concrete tartget to aim for.
    In this case I suggest picking the upper end of BMI and make that your target.
    As you get closer you might need to refine it ( especially if you are working out and building muscle) but at least you can see where you are heading. Don't spend too much energy trying to pick a number - better to put that time and energy into meal planning or working out!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    As a reference point for you, my husband is 5'10, weighs 160 lbs (after losing 35!) and went from a 36 pant to a 32 pant.
  • AmberYZ
    AmberYZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude but how did you measure your body fat? 20% body fat is on the high side of healthy for a male and at 300 pounds that would mean you have 240 pounds of lean body mass. Unless you're a 6'5 former body builder or something thats pretty unheard of