Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Transparency In Company (and App) Direction

Options
anthonyloprimo
anthonyloprimo Posts: 27 Member
This is absolutely in response to the email that just arrived - at 3 PM my time - about the barcode scanner being switched to a paid feature.

What the actual heck? In my time using barcode scanner apps, and so on, I've never once had to pay for that feature. It's practically a basic feature, built into all sorts of apps, and as quite a few people mentioned, other apps already provide this sort of lookup. Combine with the fact that I can't manually enter UPC codes on the app or the website; I have very little understanding why, of all features, this will be moved under "paid"...

C'mon, MFP - we need some transparency here! What is the idea behind this choice?

There couldn't have possibly been a meeting that provided absolutely no ideas as to features that could add value to the app and motivate people to pay for a subscription, could there? Please, tell us if that actually happened. Even if it sucks, or seems embarrassing, perhaps letting input from the community (some of which gives you money no doubt) could provide insight when your team of engineers fail to come up with anything good.

Do you spend money hosting a database of UPC-product matches? Is there a substantial overhead to this database (if it exists) that no longer can be subsidized into the free app or supported by ads?

Are you planning on making substantial upgrades to this feature by making it paid, allowing text entry on the website and app? If so, does such an update really require a substantial amount of money and resources to implement? I'd imagine it shouldn't take that much to add a textbox that hooks into a function that already exists; it appears that a text string is already sent to the server when you scan the UPC - skipping the use of the camera and going right to entering a series of numbers doesn't seem like the biggest change to anything, app or web-page. I've done it before. 5 hours, tops, and that's as a hobbyist programmer that still regularly hops onto StackOverflow for help and has to wait for answers.

Like seriously, is this LITERALLY just a grab for money or are you going somewhere with this and just haven't revealed it? I'm assuming it's the former - and I'm sure the more frustrated members would assume that as well, but I'd love to see an official response that doesn't consist of generic words that were made in a board room by the investors. How about actually explaining the reasoning for things instead of "hey this is what's happening OKAYBYEEEEE XOXOXOXO".

This comes from someone that really can't see any point to stay faithful to most companies, whether I give them money or not. I get it. It seems that investors, board members, companies in general - they want nothing more than to increase their numbers. They don't care about retention. All they have to do is keep shoving features and changing the coat of paint on their product, and more people join, and some deserters return, further increasing their numbers and potential (and actual) income.

But I'd appreciate some transparency. I think we all do. Maybe if you can make a good argument for why things are happening and let your userbase know, you won't just be able to get more people to join (and no doubt make your investors happy), but you'll get your userbase to be loyal, and refuse to leave for other services! They might even drag people to this platform over another! I know I dragged a couple of friends into using MFP, and right now, I don't know if I need to start urging them away to another service.
15 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• anthonyloprimo
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    Here's your transparency: They are a COMPANY. The ONLY thing they care about is making MONEY. They DO NOT care about you or your health. They care about how much they can squeeze out of their users.

I'm not even saying this from a bitter standpoint. This is how apps work y'all. This is how all companies work. MONEY is their bottom line NOT their customers. Once you realize that, things like this aren't surprising anymore though certainly still frustrating.

Mind you, I'm not surprised. I'm disappointed. I don't get how companies are still functioning like this. It's literally like companies are choosing to conduct themselves as if they're unaware of things or they care when said figurative cover has been blown thanks to the way we can communicate.

Honestly, from a money making POV, I really do feel like the next fad is for companies to get all buddy buddy with us (not like they do on social media now) and actually be transparent. Even if they still have to distort the truth, keep it MOSTLY grounded. Make people understand things and make them feel loyal. Almost everyone I've talked to would lean towards companies that do that, if they did.

If money is truly the bottom line, then I really think companies should give this a shot. They'll probably not only make more money, but they'll also have more users. And it seems that the only thing more important than actual money, is the potential to make money. The more users a product has, free or not, the more potential money there is to be made, directly or indirectly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there's not a whole lot about premium that differentiates itself from the free version that your average person who just wants to do some calorie counting cares about. This adds something. I'm sure they are hoping that people will migrate to premium, but it's likely more about newcomers looking at the differences and choosing premium from the get go.

This is the way most of these diet and fitness tracking apps are going. If they have a free version at all, it's bare bones basic with adds everywhere. There isn't really any money in "free". MFP had $171M in revenue in 2021 and most of that was from the subscription service. They're under new ownership as of 2020 and a new CEO as of 2021 so I would be curious as the the overall direction and what kinds of changes they might have in the works...but the bottom line is that their parent company is a private-equity firm and the job of the CEO of MFP is to make money for that firm.

I'm glad I was around for at least some of the Mike Lee years. He developed the app and started the company but it was much more his passion and hobby than "lets make money"...though he did do that too, especially when he sold it for $475M. When he was the owner and CEO, there was no subscription as an option...all free. Subscription stuff didn't start until Under Armour bought it. It's big corporate business now.
  • anthonyloprimo
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Honestly, there's not a whole lot about premium that differentiates itself from the free version that your average person who just wants to do some calorie counting cares about. This adds something. I'm sure they are hoping that people will migrate to premium, but it's likely more about newcomers looking at the differences and choosing premium from the get go.

This is the way most of these diet and fitness tracking apps are going. If they have a free version at all, it's bare bones basic with adds everywhere. There isn't really any money in "free". MFP had $171M in revenue in 2021 and most of that was from the subscription service. They're under new ownership as of 2020 and a new CEO as of 2021 so I would be curious as the the overall direction and what kinds of changes they might have in the works...but the bottom line is that their parent company is a private-equity firm and the job of the CEO of MFP is to make money for that firm.

I'm glad I was around for at least some of the Mike Lee years. He developed the app and started the company but it was much more his passion and hobby than "lets make money"...though he did do that too, especially when he sold it for $475M. When he was the owner and CEO, there was no subscription as an option...all free. Subscription stuff didn't start until Under Armour bought it. It's big corporate business now.

The thing is that I don't have a single problem with there being a subscription model. Hell, I was considering it for the actual dieting bits. But for them to suddenly take something that many other services have for free, absolutely confounds me. Why on earth would someone do that. What they do is no better than a ton of other free offerings. So... I just honestly want to know what it is they're getting at. What is their thinking? I don't really believe a bunch of people got together and had a meeting, and were all "oh heh heh we need money lol so lets just throw darts to see what features we should make paid only lmao how was the game last night, Bobby, did your team win? Let's go out for drinks after this XD lmao hah hah"

Like.. I'd like to believe the people that make the decisions are at least a LITTLE more together than that. I personally will stand with a company that makes decisions I don't like, when I can see the big picture. If their goal actually will benefit me as a consumer, than I'll stick through it and give them my money.

Honestly it's more of a rant. I don't really believe anyone worth anything of value to the company will see this post and actually respond. I know someone else had posted something similar and someone from the company literally pasted the link to their blog post, which literally answered and said nothing that wasn't already addressed in the initial post, so... I'm mostly shouting into the void. Next steps include finding a better service that at least ACTS like they give a crap for their customers. That's hard to find nowadays but still.
  • anthonyloprimo
    Options
    FWIW I'm genuinely getting slowly more motivated to develop a platform of my own. Might just be a web app (I'm terrible with learning new things to develop native apps for phones) but I'd rather just make something that'll actually be useful. Sadly I'm a front end guy and I'm struggling with learning backend stuff. LOL.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am actually genuinely curious as to the direction they're taking. The new CEO was the CEO of Daily Burn and she has a ton of experience in the tech and app world and Francisco Partners is a tech investor so it's possible better days are ahead and there are some growing pains going on here as she's only been with MFP for a year. We'll see. I think Under Armour was just way out of it's element and there is a ton that needs to be fixed stemming from their ownership. Revenues would indicate the same...they were pretty static with Under Armour at the helm and then substantially increased in 2020 when Francisco made the purchase and then a whopping 67% increase in 2021 from 2020. We'll see if they can actually do something that Under Armour couldn't.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is the beginning of a migration from the "freemium" revenue model to exclusively subscription. But they'll definitely have to make some big fixes for that to work IMO.
  • toprogers
    toprogers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Seems that UPC scanned entries are much more valuable to advertisers than the manual variety.

I am a 10 year user of MFP. I was disappointed when this feature was moved to paid accounts only. The 'discount' wasn't real either, all new paid accounts get 50% off. I used the UPC scan frequently but decided to wait and see if I really missed it. Two months later I can say that the ability to scan UPC's is not worth more than a couple bucks a month for the convenience.

What I think happened was that MFP has degraded the quality of the data they collect. When we made entries by scanning MFP had the opportunity to collect the data and resell it with a high level of certainty that we actually ate the product. Manual entries, not so much. I typically just select the closest match and move on.