Thoughts RE MyFitnessPall moving the barcode scan to premium?

Options
mww4930
mww4930 Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2022 in Chit-Chat

Thoughts RE MyFitnessPall moving the barcode scan to premium? 104 votes

Don’t like it. How about if MFP does better marketing or adds other options to premium vs taking function away from free version?
36%
pitapocketAmyrose716naculpMaggieGirl135LiveOnceBeHappyrbentrup81robibmomacias86smcmullen28shipmackGhostofachanceterrig713silba15ghedge01toprogerskimothyschmaNyteRaptorMaxH4242cowsfan12ButterMeMuffinz 38 votes
No big deal.
4%
scarlett_knossmfRetroguy2000skellyc74litha_ 5 votes
Finding another app.
58%
bobbfrommnhesn92bunny82gregmccCelsiaLamethjmomlsJonClawivikatashapeacefulsongjmscottialannelsonjeffd247Baker7850Negative_XDiamond_lucyFoogooFishJoyousCrookjohnbeck007ajsimmlernot_my_first_rodeo 61 votes

Replies

• ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Don’t like it. How about if MFP does better marketing or adds other options to premium vs taking function away from free version?
    Very disappointing. I'll be keeping my eyes open for other apps or websites, but I think I will try using the feature in Fitbit.
  • Fllicker456
    Fllicker456 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Finding another app.
    Barcode reading is litterally the only feature worth a damn. I am going to be losing a 1000+ day streak and 3 years of weightloss tracking when I leave on princple oct 1st
  • justlog2day
    justlog2day Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know most of these sites are now charging at some level and adding advertising, etc.. but to strip away a basic functionality on a site that has been plagued with tech issues over the years is silly.

I'm not totally sure if this will wipe me out of here but it sure does make me consider it.
  • toprogers
    toprogers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    50% off eh? What's the basis, full, monthly price, or the discounted annual price? I'm with others, give me something new and I might pay, taking something away and asking me to pay; I'll pass.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Finding another app.
    Agree with those who have commented that the barcode feature was the best feature of this App, and gatekeeping that behind a premium sub is the end of the app for me.

I understand that Under Armours earnings are down, but I can't see this as a solution to that problem
  • MaxH4242
    MaxH4242 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel like a LOT of the barcodes I scan come up as not found, or the wrong food, so why would I pay for that?? The only reason I might consider paying is because they have made the ads more intrusive, but then I can just use it less on my phone and more on my laptop, where I have ads blocked.
  • justlog2day
    justlog2day Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    jeffd247 wrote: »
    Agree with those who have commented that the barcode feature was the best feature of this App, and gatekeeping that behind a premium sub is the end of the app for me.

I understand that Under Armours earnings are down, but I can't see this as a solution to that problem

I'm not sure Under Armour owns this anymore.. Do they?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Finding another app.
    I'll probably switch to cronometer. Got super annoyed when they started playing ads while I was trying to log my food, and taking away barcode scanning is some *kitten*. Bye MFP. I've been using it off and on since 2012!
  • ieatmyprotein
    ieatmyprotein Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey so this is the first time I've posted on these forums. Didn't know they existed. Once I saw that they are cancelling the bar code function for non premium members, I had to go and make sure I wasn't the only one that was peeved off. I'll definitely be closing my account and looking at other apps.
  • Baker7850
    Baker7850 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Finding another app.
    Imagine having your userbase build up your app through word of mouth, add recipes and food items to the database, and generally be okay with annoying ads since it's free.

Only to defecate through our sunroof and decide to strip features, push yet another subscribe-every-month-forever in order to keep features that were standard. They're following the industry of making us rent every function of our lives, but it's still *kitten*
  • Amyrose716
    Amyrose716 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded Cronometer and scanned in my first item. I have been using MFP since 2011 and I am very disappointed in the latest announcement. Where is the logic in taking away an existing feature? Maybe you guys need to invest in better developers and innovators for your brand instead of punishing loyal users. Hate to lose my streak and my friends but not willing to go back to typing in every entry or paying for what was free.