Hi Everyone!

DROPWEIGHTWITHKATE
DROPWEIGHTWITHKATE Posts: 8 Member
I just want to say that a free feature on MyFitnessPal will soon only be accessible through the paid subscription. This is a lousy move by the company- they should come up with NEW and innovative ways to promote their subscription service instead of taking key features away from everyone else that were free to use and hiding it behind the (ridiculously) priced membership. I have posted several topics on this and my comments keep getting moved to the 'debate' category. This is not a 'debate', this is a welcome message of me telling MyFitnessPal that I do not 'welcome' their new change and they have made my mind up to NEVER joining the paid membership because of their bad business practices.

Best Answer

• Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,813 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    We appreciate the feedback (even when it’s not positive). If you’d like to read more about why we’re making this change, here’s a blog post that explains it.

Answers

• LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    edited October 2022
    Well now they’re taking away the barcode scan feature for non- premium. Ridiculous. Had the function for years and now they want to make it “premium”. Not that they or anyone else here care, but I’m gone.
  • JoshIsRunning
    JoshIsRunning Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2022
    Well now they’re taking away the barcode scan feature for non- premium. Ridiculous. Had the function for years and now they want to make it “premium”. Not that they or anyone else here care, but I’m gone.

It really is unfortunate.
  • jmomls
    jmomls Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2022

I bailed last week, but came here again to read the responses to this latest nonsense re: barcodes.
    MFP drove me into the arms of one of their competitors, to whom I gave money IMMEDIATELY. LMAO
  • TomMarker
    TomMarker Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    I'm bummed because my work health program is tied to MFP for food tracking w/o any other alternatives. The ads and moving CROWD SOURCED DATA behind a paywall is a really disappointing move.
  • pseudograve
    pseudograve Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2022
    I'm Evin. Been on MFP since 2014. I'm leaving because they keep taking features away and making them only for paying customers. I'm on food stamps, am disabled, and have an eating disorder. Not new, not interested in paying for something I used religiously for years, and now that it's changing for profit, goodbye.
  • RMBoncore
    RMBoncore Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2022
    Any alternative apps/services that you can recommend? I cannot believe how quickly this has gone downhill. I've logged in daily for 6+ years and now I am forced to go elsewhere. The ads and redesign were irritating but now the barcode announcement is the final nail.
  • Betty wrote: »
    We appreciate the feedback (even when it’s not positive). If you’d like to read more about why we’re making this change, here’s a blog post that explains it.

Why would you take something away that was free and start charging for it? I would gladly pay for new and innovative ideas but your company clearly can not come up with any. I am so sad that you have chosen to do this as I have used this app for years. I will be finding an alternate. Also, that blog post didn't explain anything about the companies decision.
  • SnowYetti82
    SnowYetti82 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Does my fitness pal wants everyone to uninstall their app? Why would they take away a staple feature from their app and take a dump on their community?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited October 2022
    TomMarker wrote: »
    The ads and moving CROWD SOURCED DATA behind a paywall is a really disappointing move.
    Crowd sourced data is behind a paywall?

Afaict, only the entering of data via barcode has moved behind the paywall. I just searched for foods and went to add one, and it's all available.
  • DROPWEIGHTWITHKATE
    DROPWEIGHTWITHKATE Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2022
    Me too- the last move they pulled was just lousy. Charging people to use a key feature that has been free for years is very bad business.
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member

Yeah I'm not too happy with it. And I refuse to pay for such a buggy app
  • Chris_CA
    Chris_CA Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2022
    Since the Bar Code Scanner is going to be available only for premium users, does this mean MFP is going to cull and weed out the 95% of items that are completely incorrect & wrong?

How about getting rid of the dozens and dozens of same product with different names?

Coke - 1 can
    Coca - 12 Oz
    Coke - 330ml
    Coca Cola - 1 can
    Coca Cola - 12 oz
    Coca Cola - 330 ml

Safeway brand - Coke
    Walmart brand - Coke

etc.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited October 2022
    I'm Evin. Been on MFP since 2014. I'm leaving because they keep taking features away and making them only for paying customers. I'm on food stamps, am disabled, and have an eating disorder. Not new, not interested in paying for something I used religiously for years, and now that it's changing for profit, goodbye.

And yet the ID you are posting this from was created this afternoon... just want to rage quit w/o losing everything you have to this point?
  • MimiS003
    MimiS003 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    After using My Fitness Pal for several years and using the Bar code, My Fitness Pal is taking the Bar Code to Premium members only. There is no excuse for this.
    The Bar Code helps to track food and taking it away just makes it more difficult to track food.
    What a lousy and cheap thing to do!! My Fitness Pal stinks!!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    They can't even fix the notifications.
  • RobJVM
    RobJVM Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2022
    Agree. This is just greed. I've been using this app for almost 10 YEARS. You want people to pay? Innovate. It's disgusting.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited October 2022
    There are SO MANY things they could improve and release for Premium. Taking a key feature that's been around forever and making people start paying for it is pure laziness.
This discussion has been closed.