Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low carb & treats (please, no anti-low-carbers)

Replies

• TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Fellow low-carbers, I have two questions...

1. What're your favourite treats? I have gone mental on nuts the last few weeks but they're so calorific.

2. If you're going to 'blow it', which I have (on said nuts), does it make a difference if you do so low-carb, i.e. this is less damaging for weight loss/longer term/health/whatever? Or if you've blown your calories, does HOW you blow it matter (i.e. are nuts better than cake? The same? Worse?)?

Thanks muchly :flowerforyou:

Beef jerky and brie cheese.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Get some canned pumpkin (plain, not the sugar-laden pie filling kind), add some cinnamon, nutmeg, bit of ricotta cheese (or cream cheese) and a packet of stevia, mix a bit, and pop it in the oven for 15-20 minutes.

Also, ricotta cheese with a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder and stevia is really good.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Pork rinds
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Can you get the Atkins shakes where you are? I keep a 4 pack in my fridge at work. So it's a great snack for me if I'm going to leave work and go directly to work out. I love the Berry the best. Nice little sweet tooth perk, plus gives me plenty of fuel for workout.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Hey guys I just set up a daily low carber forum to share ideas, recipes and support one another if you are interested? It is in the food and nutrition forum.

Hope to see you there!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Not so much a treat as a tip. But I know when I am out of the house for a long day and I haven't packed food, if I start getting really hungry and that "I'll just pop into that shop and get some chocolate" feeling, "Pepperami" sticks usually fill the gap without my succumbing to the temptations of sweets and choccies. And most corner shops, petrol stations etc carry them, unlike slices of good quality meat!

As far as treats - Sugar free jelly and squirty cream.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    lowcarbfriends.com

I made a delicious cheese cake for a total of 19 grams of carbs. The cake had about 7 slices so less than 3 grams per slice. Or you can take the mixture and freeze it and you have a low carb ice cream. Check out the recipe section on the site. It's amazing what you can do with a little creativity!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Greek yogurt with sugar free jello mix or sugar free pudding mix, any flavor you like. I'll also add flavored extracts (like you'd use to make a cake) and a sprinkle of Splenda for a little sweetness. Plain Greek yogurt has about 7 carbs per 6 ounce serving.

Shelled sunflower seeds eaten one by one. It takes me a really long time to eat the 1/4 cup serving and sometimes I just need to keep my hands occupied.

Shrimp cocktail made with LC ketchup

Sugar free chocolate. I buy mine at Trader Joe's. I'm not a huge chocolate fanatic but sometimes you just have to have chocolate.

Hard boiled eggs

Cheesecake Muffins - 8 oz pkg of softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup Splenda (I use less), 1/2 tsp of vanilla (or any other flavor you like) extract, 1 egg. Beat together and spoon into 6 cupcake papers. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Chill for a few hours and eat.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Fellow low-carbers, I have two questions...

1. What're your favourite treats? I have gone mental on nuts the last few weeks but they're so calorific.

2. If you're going to 'blow it', which I have (on said nuts), does it make a difference if you do so low-carb, i.e. this is less damaging for weight loss/longer term/health/whatever? Or if you've blown your calories, does HOW you blow it matter (i.e. are nuts better than cake? The same? Worse?)?

Thanks muchly :flowerforyou:

Umm, part of the beauty with low carb is to learn to eat intuitively so we don't have to count calories. That is just listening to your body and giving it what it needs.

If your going overboard on nuts, it sounds like your body needs 2 things...............FAT and protein. Get fat and protein from other sources such as a huge succulent ribeye steak or other fatty cut of meat.
  • kelpaint
    kelpaint Posts: 18 Member
    Beefy jerky - my favorite brand (mingua) has 40 cals/1g Fat/ 1g CHO/ 7 g protein per serving - it is high in sodium though if that s a concern.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    If I have a sweet tooth or I see cupcakes on tv and want them, I just eat some "low carb icing" which is just cream cheese, stevia, and a bit of lemon juice. I have also mixed a little bit of low carb protein powder in it at times or peanut butter if I'm letting myself have more carbs, it tastes like peanut butter icing or peanut butter cheesecake.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    For me the Weight Watchers sugar free jelly does it. The little sachets do about 4 servings with no carbs/sugar so it's all good, and I checked it out with the Dukan thing. I like the lime one as it's really zingy.... so if I need something sweet or just a different texture to eat I reach for that :)

New to the whole low carb thing so this is a really good thread to find out what people eat as treats!

H :)
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    I like the flax meal 'muffin in a minute' recipes. So many options you can do. My favorite is making a peanut butter chocolate muffin with a few sugar free chocolate chips. Or I'll make a chocolate one, slice it and toast the slices and top with peanut butter! Yummers!

I also love beef jerky or cheese as snacks. There's a low carb tortilla called mama lupe's that only has 3 grams of carbs per tortilla and they're awesome when you cut them up and bake into chips with a little garlic and oil. Or make a quesidilla with cheese and chicken and salsa. They're great for breakfast wraps or sandwich wraps.

It does matter how you blow it and I'd rather blow it on healthy options, but I stay away from nuts unless I'm putting a few in something I'm baking. I have no self control wiith them...especially salted and I'll eat them until I'm sick. :-(
  • ange0628
    ange0628 Posts: 39 Member
    would you mind sending me the recipe for this soup? it sounds wonderful!!
  • I love light ricotta mixed with cinnamon, vanilla & stevia, If you add half an apple roasted or raw it makes a great post workout snack.
    Another good one.
    1 cup ricotta
    1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    stevia or splenda to taste.

This is good for 4 1/4 c servings which doesn't sound like much but is def. enough:) I have it premixed in the fridge for when I am in a hurry:)
  • avocados are a healthy way to increase your unsaturated fat intake, about 1/3 a day added into a salad:)
  • My favorites are cheese, nuts, and apples! :)
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    I snack on pepperoni (regular or turkey) and cheese, but I limit my cheese intake to only 1 to 1 1/2 oz per day. Also a good snack is celery sticks with either cream cheese or peanut butter on them. And to get more veggies in my diet I love broccoli crowns dipped in whatever flavor sour cream dip I have for the week. And I love to snack on nuts in the evening watching TV or a movie. I usually have peanuts, but I just bought a bag of Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds and they are awesome! Per ounce they are 5 g carbs, less 3 g fiber = 2 g net carbs. :happy: I have a small, 1 oz sized Tupperware midget that I use exclusively to portion out the nuts when I am snacking so I know how much I am eating.
    I love to make MIMs (milled flaxseed muffins) of all flavors. To pretend I am having cake I make a chocolate MIM and top it with either homemade cream cheese frosting or peanut butter.
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    when i was on atkins - after initial phase I used to love creme fraiche and raspberries - i added bit sweetner as had (and still have) major sweet tooth

no such luxury on dukan - as even if chose half-fat creme fraiche still cant have the raspberries (or strawberries if preferred)

other treat was melon and parma ham

either of these also made lovely breakfasts

I always used very high bran crackers (slimming world approved too - avail holland and barrett) - about 3g carb each - for spreading peanut butter on - when I wasnt eating it straight from the jar that is - never could trust myself with that stuff - love it too much
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Does anyone know if you can have whey protein with non-fat milk in the attack phase?

I'm dying for something different/sweet/something to give me more energy as I feel shocking today!