Scanner

Options
HaloMoon58
HaloMoon58 Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2022 in Chit-Chat
How are all of you feeling about the scanner going to premium only?
I’m going to miss it a lot!

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are apparently rage quitting over it.

Not me. 😀
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that it's changing
  • briansimpson2
    briansimpson2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It is terrible!!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence. On the one hand, yes it's a bit annoying it's going away. On the other hand I'm not into the overwhelming sense of entitlement some people seem to have about something that is free but costs money to run. MFP clearly hasn't had that much money invested in improving it until recently. Whether you think the more recent changes are improvements or not, they have clearly spent developer hours on it whereas with under armour they seemed to have just let it sit and fester, doing the bare minimum. I swear I never even saw an advert until the more recent take over (and now they're so frequent that ruins the user experience entirely for me).

I suppose I would be more inclined to pay for premium if it was a more reasonable price. I would like to support an app that has helped me greatly whilst also being free, and I can afford it, but the current price is absurd for what it is.
  • klhessling
    klhessling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm pissed about it.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm outta here, that's how I feel about it! So many other calorie counting apps out there with free food scanners are going to expand now with MFP refugees like me.
  • Mo__Mo
    Mo__Mo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine the rage quitters would be missed by UA. They aren't paying now. When UA bought it it was clear they were going to want a return. What I would love to see is them validating data. Start with the barcode scanned entries. I'd happily pay more for data that's been checked.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Mo__Mo wrote: »
    I can't imagine the rage quitters would be missed by UA. They aren't paying now. When UA bought it it was clear they were going to want a return. What I would love to see is them validating data. Start with the barcode scanned entries. I'd happily pay more for data that's been checked.

UA sold it a while ago now. Apart from branding, sponsored challenges, and very VERY basically keeping it running, I don't think they did a great deal with it. They certainly didn't seem to use it to their advantage.
  • 09Klr650
    09Klr650 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mo__Mo wrote: »

They "pay" through all that advertising they put EVERYWHERE. I will also probably leave. It's"Noom" all over again.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    * shrug

nuthin' much will change for me.

...... I'll just keep swiping 'right'.
  • KyleDavid0313
    KyleDavid0313 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off logging here for a while and I'm disappointed. I find logging tedious as it is and the bar code made it easier. I'm not sure if I am going to continue here or go elsewhere. I'm not even sure what there is out there for "elsewhere" that is comparable.....
  • 09Klr650
    09Klr650 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's funny, to see if "Lose It!" was "worth it" I have been trying it out for the last two days (using them side by side). It's scanner is faster, more accurate and pulls up the correct values for the item. MFP . . . not so much. Plus I am very impressed with how "up to date" the website versus app will be. MFP often has a considerable "lag" between entering it on one and it refreshing on the other. Lose It! there is no delay. Refresh and go.

Now I will fully admit MFP is a bit more flexible on things like "quick calories". But it seems sooo much worse for the library accuracy. Plus the community here is HUGE compared to Lose It!.

All I have to say is if MFP is making barcode scanning a "paid premium" they better start expending resources to cleaning up the database as well as adding things to it. Right now it seems entirely "crowdsourced" information with the resulting issues with accuracy.
  • MrsMCBailey2007
    MrsMCBailey2007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well I just resumed after a few years away, and paid for premium. I’m very unhappy with it honestly. My daily calorie goal goes down even though there’s no food logged, and you can’t use the barcode scanner to log tomorrow’s food. I’m sorry, but I do not want to be manually entering everything. The goal is to make my life easier. Now I’m out the $$ spent. For that price I’ll go back to WW. The barcode scanner was awesome and I rarely had to manually enter foods.
  • briansimpson2
    Options
    It is terrible!!
  • briansimpson2
    Options
    Yes ww sounds better all the time ! If I going spend money , spend it worth while !
  • shaney13
    shaney13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I’m probably going to move over Lose it
  • Rubefella
    Rubefella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    I'm on the fence. On the one hand, yes it's a bit annoying it's going away. On the other hand I'm not into the overwhelming sense of entitlement some people seem to have about something that is free but costs money to run. MFP clearly hasn't had that much money invested in improving it until recently. Whether you think the more recent changes are improvements or not, they have clearly spent developer hours on it whereas with under armour they seemed to have just let it sit and fester, doing the bare minimum. I swear I never even saw an advert until the more recent take over (and now they're so frequent that ruins the user experience entirely for me).

I suppose I would be more inclined to pay for premium if it was a more reasonable price. I would like to support an app that has helped me greatly whilst also being free, and I can afford it, but the current price is absurd for what it is.

Don't fall for the free app fallacy that they need money to provide a free service. "Free" apps make a lot of money off selling your info, not just app related data, but other metadata from your phone. General rule, if something is free, you are the product. With most of these apk/ipa's even when you do pay, you're primarily removing ads and maybe some feature locks, but they're still farming your data. The user agreement is the foot in the door so, free or not, if they continue stripping away features as a carrot to get subscriptions, they'll likely push more people away from using it all together. Find someone who will give you more service in exchange for your data.
  • OCNY44
    OCNY44 Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I presently am paying for the app from Healthi (formerly iTrackBites) and I'm going back to it. The Healthi app allows you to choose from quite a few different plans that approximate plans from past Weight Watchers programs. It also allows you to choose other weight loss plans, including calorie counting.
    The app is great and includes a barcode scanner in the free version. I opted for the "Pro" version which allows you to track a secondary matrix---I am doing a former WW plan plus calorie counting.
    The best thing? The app cost me more than two dollars a month! They were having a special at the time and I paid $24.99 for a full YEAR. I am due to renew soon and was on the fence about it but now I am definitely renewing my Healthi Pro membership.
    The one bummer is that it doesn't have a web version for tracking, only the app. I kept MFP around for so long because I liked going to the website version (as archaic as it is) to add my intake as I was working on my laptop. I can live without that.
    I understand that a private equity group brought MFP and if what happened when a private equity group bought Jenny Craig is any indication, MFP will be run into the ground.
    I will spend today transferring all my MFP recipes over to my Healthi app and say goodbye to MFP after that.
    Here's a link to the Healthi site if you want to take a look at it. https://healthiapp.com/
  • kamp60
    kamp60 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I just deleted the app after discovering that I couldn't scan. Will use the Fitbit food app. And that way I won't have to deal with the never-ending repeat sync errors. Bye MFP - I loved you, but I refuse to pay $20 a month.