New runner shin splints - how soon can I run again?

Options
Hey folks! I just started running and I gave myself shin splints. Fun!

TL:DR - how long should I wait before trying to run again.

TS:DR - I tried running before a few years ago but I had no fun whatsoever with it... This time, I'm loving it and I can't wait to get out for my next run! (This is a BIG step forward for me and my personal fitness! I used to hate exercise but now I'm regularly going to the gym and swimming and running too, apparently!)

...Which brings us to the shin splints... I want to go running again but I don't want to start out too soon and do myself a real injury!

So, I ran on Sunday evening, had a rest day on Monday, and worked 2x 12h shifts on Tuesday and Wednesday (today). I work as a care assistant so I'm on my feet for around 11 hours and put in around 15000 steps per shift (which my phone suggests is around 8km. No idea if it's true or not!)

So, I can definitely walk quickly for long periods of time with my legs feeling stiff - but I'm not experiencing much pain.

The question is... How long should I wait before I go for my next run?

Ps - I'm definitely overstriding which is making the shin splints worse (and probably doing my knees in too) - will work on that during the next run.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,391 Member
    Options
    Shin splints were a way of life when I first joined my high school track team. Since we were running every single day, there was no such thing as "time off" to recover. Therefore, recovery consisted of a four-phase approach:

1 - ice bath from the knees down
    2 - increase potassium levels (bananas, potatoes, broccoli)
    3 - double-check footwear is appropriate for running (shoes good for walking/lifting are likely NOT good enough)
    4 - strengthen the calf muscle via backwards toe-to-heel walking for 1/4 mile each day

The good news is shin splints, at least for me, disappeared after a few weeks on the team, and did not reappear until I went an extended time without running (more than a month or so).
  • nossmf
    Options
    Just realized I made it sound like you'll be plagued with shin splints for weeks. Totally different situation. You're used to being on your feet and sound like you have only a minor case; in my youth I was completely out of shape and got splints so bad I literally could not walk five feet, so my case took a while to recover. I expect if you implement some of the suggestions above you'll be just fine in a few days.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I haven't been plagued with shin splints much really as a runner --- but the first things I'd consider would be your foot/shoe and running form.

You stated that you know some things about your running form that put you at more risk for shin splints, so it's good you're planning on focusing on shorter strides. It's tough at first ....I have had IT band issues in the past and had to concentrate on a slightly shorter stride to deal with that as well (along with other strengthening stuff). I have quite a high arch so I'm not really sure how I've avoided shin splints (but it is likely because I am more of a mid-foot striker, not a full heal striker) and actually tend to have more issues with my Achilles being irritated....but, alas.

If you are for real deep in shin splints you really should consider taking like 2-4 weeks off from activity that aggravates them. And ice them. My typical rule with running is, if it doesn't hurt when I'm running then I'll still cautiously run (like I've had piriformis issues in the past, but it wasn't painful to run....sitting, standing, laying were all a different story, lol). So if your shins are hurting with running, then I'd say unfortunately you're going to have to stop for a bit.

Might also consider whether the shoes you have are really the correct ones to be running in. Or if they are too old (i.e. have too many miles on them and are broken down without the support you need).

If walking doesn't hurt you can concentrate on that and make sure you are roughly landing heal to toe...that can work on strengthening all those little muscles on the front of your shin (this type of strike may be different for you walking vs. running). As long as that doesn't hurt you. Also, take time after a walk or run to lay down or sit and 'write' the alphabet with your toes in the air (hope that makes sense)...that will also help strengthen those little muscles. Work on stretches that keep your hamstrings/calves lose -- and don't forget about strengthening those too (calf raises).
  • cprobertson12
    cprobertson12 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips folks!

Here are my immediate take-aways!

Potassium... my potassium intake is likely on the mediocre side... in fact, most of my nutrient intake is probably on the mediocre side... I know as a fact I don't eat healthily enough - but that's a story for another time! Dietary improvement is the goal for the month of september (this month's goal was "routine building").

Shoes.... er... so, I have a confession... please don your face-protecting oven mitts for the inevitable flurry of facepalming that will follow.

I have a set of Asics that got occasional use... I used them one last week and found the run boring as bat poo and I got minor shin splints that 3 days was enough to heal. I was then getting ready for a walk up at Lynn Glen (Dalry) at around 7:30pm, and I decided I wanted to try running it... I didn't want to use my good Asics as they were moderately expensive and the trail would probably kill them...

... so I used my combat boots instead (YDS Kestrel).

Amazingly, they weren't terrible. They were only very close to terrible ;) - but on the bright side, they made me VERY aware of my running form which I had to adopt to protect my knees as the boots had somewhere between "zero" and "negative" cushioning.

After around 3 miles of thorough enjoyment, I got back to the car and said "aww I loved that!" and was immediately hooked on trail running. The next day was when the shin splints manifested - and then I done 2x 12h shifts on my feet, so they definetely werent too bad! Stiff legs though!

I hope that confession didn't kill too many seasoned runners.

Don't worry, I went out yesterday and bought a pair of decent trail running shoes and I've since tested them on a 5 km run and my shin splints were fine (very minor shin splints on some downhill segments - fixed with a pace change).

Its now the day after and I... knock-on-wood- appear to be alright... I'm hoping more regular runs (with proper shoes) and my aforementioned dietary changes will address my shin splint issues.

--So, to answer my question, it seems in the case I had, two days of rest and two days of walking was sufficient to run with.

PS - I'm really sorry about the combat boot confession! I know that would have been painful to read for some many;)
  • nossmf
    Options
    I ran competitive 5k's in college wearing proper running shoes...I ran untold miles in combat boots in the military...your confession was less shocking to me than you may expect. Now, ask me which I preferred...