Bought new clothes online

Options
I'm cheap and didn't want to buy the clothes twice so bought 2 sizes smaller than I have now. So...they fit but are tight. Which means I guess I have to keep wearing the too loose clothes for a bit longer.
I'm annoyed with myself but honestly I hate wasting $$ so at least I know I'll get a full wear out of these new smaller clothes (once I'm into them)

Down 42 pounds and 1 clothing size :)

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Another vote for thrift shops and/or Walmart. Since I have a thing about fabric and want to touch the clothes before I buy them, shopping online can be very iffy for me.

I've seen items recently labeled "Jersey" and "Jersey cotton" - anyone else who is particular about fabric know how close to cotton these are?

I suppose it depends on the blend and the manufacturer:

https://www.wavefutura.com/en/blog/jersey#:~:text=Jersey fabric is classed as,depend on the knitting process.

I can even strongly prefer one 100% cotton flannel shirt from LL Bean over another 100% cotton flannel shirt from LL Bean :lol:

Thrift shops are a great source for flannel shirts, and I can touch them :smiley:
  • TicTacToo
    TicTacToo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For childhood issues, sometimes it can be helpful to learn about schemas (ingrained ways of viewing yourself).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    ech9570 wrote: »
    I meant to talk about the clothes thing. That post should be an introduction for a group. Sorry!
    At one point I had plastic tubs stacked up in the spare bedroom labeled "12-14. "16-18". "14W - 16W" I have been able to maintain an 18W-20W for a number of years. But I've agonized over my clothes - nice things I could no longer wear, or bought too small. I've concluded over the years, including buying "motivation" clothes in smaller sizes, is that a focus or your current wardrobe is the best. Buy the best quality that you can find, use a "capsule" approach and make sure that your new clothes fit perfectly - going to a dressmaker for alterations if needed (or DIY). You've got about ten to fifteen pounds to drop to a new size and that should take several months. You can alter most clothes down about 2 times, so your current wardrobe should last you 3-6 months. I don't recommend buying "motional clothing. It adds unnecessary pressure and could contribute to leaving the program all together. So! I still have a couple sacks of smaller clothes and, as we speak, I'm getting ready to put then out on Poshmark.

I don't think the bolded is correct. I found that there were larger numbers of pounds between the larger sizes (like misses 20 to 18 in US sizes), and shockingly few pounds between smaller sizes (misses 8 to 6 happened in about a month, when I was losing pretty slowly because close to goal - but I needed to size down some slacks to look better at a special event). OP says she's down one size with 42 pounds loss, and two sizes down is still a bit too small, y'know?

At the beginning, when I was at an obese BMI, it didn't take several months to lose 10-15 pounds, either. Even at a then-sensible loss rate, the first 10 pounds took around a month (some water weight in that, for sure), 2nd 10 around a month and a half, . . . and it kept gradually slowing (intentionally) from there.

It's totally fine to lose slower than that, by any metric (i.e., nothing wrong with losing 10-15 pounds over multiple months even if substantially overweight, and it can be more sustainable). But faster can be safe/sustainable at high body weights, too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ech9570 wrote: »
    I meant to talk about the clothes thing. That post should be an introduction for a group. Sorry!

At one point I had plastic tubs stacked up in the spare bedroom labeled "12-14. "16-18". "14W - 16W"

I have been able to maintain an 18W-20W for a number of years. But I've agonized over my clothes - nice things I could no longer wear, or bought too small. I've concluded over the years, including buying "motivation" clothes in smaller sizes, is that a focus or your current wardrobe is the best. Buy the best quality that you can find, use a "capsule" approach and make sure that your new clothes fit perfectly - going to a dressmaker for alterations if needed (or DIY). You've got about ten to fifteen pounds to drop to a new size and that should take several months. You can alter most clothes down about 2 times, so your current wardrobe should last you 3-6 months. I don't recommend buying "motional clothing. It adds unnecessary pressure and could contribute to leaving the program all together. So! I still have a couple sacks of smaller clothes and, as we speak, I'm getting ready to put then out on Poshmark.

I admire your organization! I've mentally labeled tubs "too small" and "too big" but that's as far as I've gotten :lol:

I agree with not buying motivational clothing. My rational is because they might not fit for reasons other than weight, and you wouldn't know this until you've lost the weight, and then you've wasted the money.

At any size, I've never been able to wear all clothes that are that size. Pants might fit at the hips but not at the waist, etc. Because women's fashion is weird, if you have something that fits now, that same item in two sizes smaller might not fit when you've lost the weight. You might not lose weight the way a clothing manufacturer assumes your body should be shaped for your new size.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Another vote for thrift shops and/or Walmart. Since I have a thing about fabric and want to touch the clothes before I buy them, shopping online can be very iffy for me.

I am the same, I typically shop by touching everything. I had a difficult time restraining myself during early pandemic days when they frowned upon a lot of merchandise-touching.

I have been known to select an article of clothing to buy and walk around the store absentmindedly petting it before I take it to the cashier. :D
  • hdieffenbach
    hdieffenbach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it works for your lifestyle--I've found that dresses work longer than pants. If a dress is slightly too big its more workable than pants.