Question for runners....

Options
I am JUST now beginning to get outside and walk/jog, but hopefully one day run for long lengths like you all do. My question is this. What do you think about for so long when you run? and also, do you look at your feet, at the path just ahead, or do you focus on a distant goal? I can run for about 40 seconds before I start feeling like I am going to die. I can make it to 60 seconds at a time but it is hard for me to stay focused. (I am doing the c25k right now.) Please tell me how you run for so long....

Replies

• Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Try using the Couch to 5K program..it's AWESOME!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I look at the path ahead and in the distance. To run longer, run slower. You'll get better. Plus the very first part of any run feels hard until you get warmed up and in your stride.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    If I'm not wearing my ipod, here are some things I think about:

1. Think of every teacher you can remember in order ... from K through high school. What did you like best about him her? What did you like least?

2. Think of every family vacation in chronological order you can remember. Where did you go? Did you go to a new restaurant? What was the best memory each particular vacation?

3. Think of your first date with everyone you've ever dated. Where did you go? What did you do?

4. Think of the best night of your life ... be careful, those watching you run will wonder what you're thinking about. :)

5. Think about all the places you wish to visit. Which countries? Which states? Which cities? What do you want to do at each location?

6. Think about the best gifts you ever given to people. How did they react?

7. Think about the best gifts you ever received for as far back as you can remember.

8. Think about the holiday that is most attended and celebrated by your family. Who is the one who always makes an *kitten* of him/herself? What foods can you count on being there?

9. Think about every field trip you've ever attended? Pumpkin patches to overnight class trips? Who threw-up? Who got kissed? Who got lost? Who did you sit by and eat lunch with?

10. Look at the sights, listen to the sounds, and smell the air that you're breathing while running. Soak up the experience.
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try using the Couch to 5K program..it's AWESOME!

ummmmm....that's what I am doing. But how do I stay focused?
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    And, to answer some of your other questions ... if I'm running a familiar road, then I look ahead (my preferred method of running). If I'm doing a trail run, I look down so as to not trip - but sometimes I still do. Endurance is earned ... one day at a time. Don't rush. You'll get there.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My longest run to date was 3 hrs when I was training for my 30k race last spring. On longer runs I'm usually thinking of the days events, or what I have to do later, etc etc. On really long runs (like that 3 hrs), the end is about trying to keep motivation up as the pain is settling in..lol.

I usually look 15-20 ft ahead of me. I'll glance far ahead once in awhile.
  • BulldogCNM
    Options
    I am also starting the couch to 5 K. I have done this before and what I did was sign up for a 5 k it helped keep me motivated and get me going. I also made a bunch of running play lists to keep me energized.
  • melly7894
    melly7894 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Otherwise, don't think about it so much! Go outside and just run.....you'll grow to enjoy it once you learn to get over the uncomfortable threshold before you're warmed up. It won't always feel like you're going to die :)
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I listen to music when I run. Usually upbeat music and/or fast music. I choose this kind of music rather than slower music because then I "run" to the beat so I am always pushing myself to go faster.

I have felt many a time that I am just going to DIE right there on the trail.... so I just slow down my speed, take deeper breaths, but always always always KEEP GOING!!! I feel such an accomplishment when I get to the walking portion of the intervals that I didn't stop running.

It is always better to slow down your pace rather than stop running...this is how you are going to build your endurance and stamina up. Another piece of advice, which I am currently doing, is to repeat the previous week as many times as you need to before moving onto the following week. I am on week 3 for the second week in a row because I cannot quite feel good about my 3 minute continuous run. You just have to keep pushing yourself and don't give up. You CAN do it!! I know you can!

I'm going to tell you now, the weeks do get harder as you progress but just don't get down about your slower days and always remind yourself how awesome you are doing for just getting out there in the first place :) your one step ahead of those sitting on the couch ;)

If you need any further motivation or support on the c25k feel free to private message me :)
  • SamsaraII
    SamsaraII Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I never thought i would run!, but I do, I started doing 30 second laps alternanting with 1 minute of brisk walk, and slowly built....at first i was jogging at what I describe as a granny pace (not intending to offend any granny out there...) on my treadmill it reads 4mph and then started incresing 45 then 1 minute still alternating, this all very gradual, then 2 minutes in a row, 3 minutes etc, at first when I was jogging over five minutes I finished my workout with brisk walk....it took me a year to be comfortable at running a twelve minute mile. I now Job 20 minutes consecutive and this is a minimum once a week. I am slowly increasing on speed and considering increasing my time at this point....but you know altogether I feel great about what I am doing now
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5K as well!!! I listen to the podcasts, haha I'm such a dork, I've actually really been enjoying the corresponding music.

But I agree, thinking of my day, work I have to do for the week, staying organized.

If I'm running outside and a hottie passes me the corresponding thought is, "30 more pounds and he'll be checking ME out!!!!"

Good luck, lady!
  • FlashBang
    Options
    lots of good advice here. Really, its your head, let it think. Music is great but so often ipods are not allowed in a race so I train with out it. When it gets painful I think about the finish, that last k or mile.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It gets better! I started C25K last year around this time and thought I was going to die during those 60 second runs, this past Saturday I ran an 11 miler for the first time ever...so it does get better!
    As for keeping your mind occupied, I do different things. Sometimes I listen to music, but not too often any more since I've started running more on the road. I think about my kids and how proud they are of their Dad, and that keeps me moving. And as a pastor I also use that time for prayer and sermon prep, and will usually recite Bible verses.
    Sometimes I'll make games out of the run, like seeing how many steps it takes for me to get from point A to point B, try to guess how long a segment will take, etc. The big thing though is imagining how great I will feel when I hit my goal!
    Keep it up!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Staying focused is hard.... I sign up for races so I always have something to look forward to!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I use my ipod and usually am listening to a book in the Outlander series!!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was going to die within a short time too at first. As chucky said, go slower to go longer. You will get stronger. Endurance will inevitibly build. If I know my route and don't anticipate dangers (cars, etc.), I'll stare at the path before me. Depends on the run. I think about EVERYthing on a run. The sky is the limit. Sometimes I listen to new music I'm interested in or the radio or silence/nature.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 5K on Sunday! Do it!! Make that your goal! Find a fun one to do!!!!

I have a playlist on my ipod for working out... faster upbeat music!!!!

If i'm on a trail, I look down... on the streets, I'm looking up for the *kitten* who can't see me in my bright pink top, so I'm not road kill!

Just get out and do it!!! It feels great!!!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks or podcasts to keep me entertained.
    And I look at the path a little way ahead - mostly to keep me safe so I don't trip over anything!

Keep up the good work and I hope you get to enjoy running as much as I do - and trust me 9 months ago I would NEVER have said that I could run or that I thought I would ever enjoy it. I couldn't even run all of the 1 min intervals on the first day - after 6 I was ready to die and walked the rest of the session. But, here I am running for 1.5 hours or more and enjoying it!

I also agree with the advice to find a race to focus on - make it far enough away that you feel confident that you will get there, and GO FOR IT!
  • Crystel22
    Crystel22 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have to say congrats on even thinking about being a runner. Some people have it in their minds that there is no way they will ever be a runner. I used to be one of those people. I started on this website in the beginning of this year. Never in my life had ever been a runner. We have a treadmill and I would do like a 20 minute walk run program on there and do that every day for a few weeks. Then I started to just jog a mile at like a 4.5mph. Each time I would just increase it by .5mph. Eventually I got up to 5.5 and 6mph. This was when it was cold outside. When it started to warm up, I wanted to get outside and try it. I thought I could definitely do it since I do it on the treadmill. When I started out I thought my lungs were going to collapse. As I found out, you have to gradually do it outside, just like on the treadmill. When you are outside the fresh air fills your lungs and it's not quite used to it yet. When you do it a couple of times it won't hurt so bad, but even now in the beginning, it does still hurt a little, but usually passes after a minute.

I can now say that I just finished a half-maraton last weekend and I did jog the whole thing, I did stop once for a potty break. It may not have been the best time, but I did jog the whole thing and only was 5 minutes slower than my goal. Had I not had to stop to potty, maybe I mght have reached that goal. I never thought I could jog 13 miles before, but I proved myself wrong. I'm not quite the runner some of these people are, but I do well for myself.

Keep your head up and don't give up. I agree with everyone who said to sign up for a 5k. I did that in the beginnng of the year and didn't think I could run the whole thing and to my surprise, I did. It feels so great to do something you never thought you could. Grab some music and just go. Don't think of anything at first. Look at the scenery around you, but also check the ground to be safe. Then think of things you need to do, sometimes that makes you want to finish quicker, knowing you have things to do.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.