Intermittent fasting

Options
First post in this community for me ☺️ I would like to hear from members if anyone had tried the intermittent fasting on their diet journey and how it turned out. Thank you!!!!

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I've personally tried it & it's just not for me.

Some people love it & swear by it tho, more power to them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Did 5:2 while losing weight and it helped make a sticking to a sensible weekly calorie deficit easier for me (effectively just dieting two days a week).

Tried strict 16:8 at maintenance and found it a complete PITA.

Currently skip breakfast most of the time while maintaining long term and it suits me well as I like to eat most of my food in the evening but if I need or want to eat breakfast then I do. Flexibility works for me.

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It sort of depends on your definition...

I have stopped eating after dinner, after that kitchen is closed until breakfast.
    I find it helpful as it stops me mindlessly chomping on whatever is available.

In practice it means that there is usually at least 12 hours in between, often longer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    So...weight loss is about eating fewer calories than your body uses.

How you accomplish a plan that leads to fewer calories eaten? That's not particularly important. An eating time-schedule is not important at all. There is no magic to eating for only XX number of hours in a day. It's still about how much. I can easily over-eat in even three hours a day.

Delaying the first meal and stopping eating after dinner is a valid strategy. I did it for a while, but I still had to cut the amount of food I ate to a level that was lower than what I was using.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    IF simply tells you WHEN to eat, it has nothing to do with HOW MUCH you eat. As such, you can gain weight doing IF, you can lose weight, you can yo-yo, you can maintain, etc etc etc.

Personally, it lines up reasonably well with how I prefer to eat anyways, so it "works" for me when I do it in conjunction with counting/tracking cals.
  • skinniesomeday
    skinniesomeday Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I dont necessarily think it helps to lose but Ive been reading about IF helping with lowering your blood sugar and I think I may give that a try to help. I fasted one day for 16 hours before checking my fasting blood sugar in morning and i got my lowest reading so far !! Im going to give it a try for now (IF) !
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I used an app called Simple and it really helped me understand IF better and helped me navigate a plan that was suitable for me. It definitely helps lose but more than that, it helps with fat burning!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    CatchMom11 wrote: »
    I used an app called Simple and it really helped me understand IF better and helped me navigate a plan that was suitable for me. It definitely helps lose but more than that, it helps with fat burning!

not any more than any calorie restricted diet.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

That's not true. It's about the timing and what's happening to your body's cells during that time period. The science behind IF is what helps with fat loss more than simply calorie restricted dieting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

That's not true. It's about the timing and what's happening to your body's cells during that time period. The science behind IF is what helps with fat loss more than simply calorie restricted dieting.

No it's about what happens over 24 x 7 and not just the fasting period.

Have you ever seen any studies where both calories and protein are equated but with different eating patterns showing any significant fat loss difference?
    I haven't.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I dont necessarily think it helps to lose but Ive been reading about IF helping with lowering your blood sugar and I think I may give that a try to help. I fasted one day for 16 hours before checking my fasting blood sugar in morning and i got my lowest reading so far !! Im going to give it a try for now (IF) !

I have also found that the longer I fast between meals the lower my before meal for that first meal's blood glucose reading is lower. However, it hasn't really made any difference in the 12 hour post eating reading I get. I've read from IF followers that to really affect Diabetes 2 or Metabolic Disorder high blood sugar issues you need to do period longer-term fasts; like several days to even longer than that. Also that the same result can be obtained by going on a severely restrictive diet of 500 calories a day for a month. ... NFM!

Also, it is important that you follow a low carb diet/high fat diet during the feed times during the fasts cause high carbs will just result in still having too much glucose in the blood. ... that's probably why my 12 hour fasting blood sugar readings are still higher than I'd like ... because I do not follow the LowCarb/HiFat model of eating.

And .. as others have mentioned ... losing weight is about calorie restriction. Blood Sugar readings are affected by the amount of carbs and protein you consume, as well as how active you are
  • capgordon1293
    capgordon1293 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Am giving it another try . Along with kinobody shredded program
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been doing Mosley-style 6:1 or 5:2s for maybe a decade since learning about it. It works great; would recommend.

In practice: I weigh myself every morning. If weight is over target weight, then my next running day is also a fasting day. That's it; very easy.