I’m going to stop buying bread

Options

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I cut way back on bread when they started putting the conditioners in all wheat flour that are banned in other countries. As a bread lover and a wheat farmer, I hate that, but it makes my tummy hurt, so regular bread is uncommon here. I have tried all kinds of bread made with oat flour, rice flour, cassava, etc. I’ve tried cloud bread, cottage cheese bread, egg white crepes. It’s all ok, but none of it is GOOD WHEAT BREAD. I do like fruit bread made with almond flour, but it’s not the same thing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Bread at the end of the day is just sugar. Stop buying it is a good beginning. Good for you. 👍

This is just plain silly.
    Probably referring to the absorption of starch where it effects blood sugar levels and for some people that's not something very desirable.

I'm low carb but eat some starch products on rare occasions, maybe twice a month. One is when I make focaccia and the other is pizza and that's when I make my own dough.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I just added Ezekiel bread and Carbonaut gluten free. I can't imagine almond butter and preserves being as filling or desiresble on a wrap instead of bread. In that case I use a plain rice cake
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Husband has started buying baguettes and quartering them. They are so thin they are actually comparatively low cal and the sight of a “sub” on his plate makes him very very happy.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    I've also drastically cut down on my bread consumption. Not because I'm against bread or anything, but for practical reasons: I used to eat bread for lunch at home with my BF, but since he changed jobs he's no longer working from home and I eat lunch on my own. On my own, my consumption isn't high enough to justify buying bread (we are lucky to live in a country with great bakeries, but it goes stale quite quickly) and I was struggling to have a sufficient variety of toppings while not letting food expire. So bread is for weekends only now, when I can share with my BF.
    I'm still trying to get into a new routine, but at the moment I'm eating simple salads with pesto and some sort of easy protein (prepackaged shrimp or chicken) and canned chickpeas.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you like wraps you might also enjoy pitta bread, just split it and fill it.

I havn't ditched bread, but was never keen on a plain white sliced anyway.
    Wraps, pitta, naan, foccacia, rye, sourdough, - and all the other lovely bread things :)
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I’m the opposite - I’m making my own sourdough at the moment 🤤 I also freeze bread so it lasts and doesn’t go stale, as (home baking aside) I don’t actually eat that much. It toasts v well and defrosts okay, so it means I don’t waste any.
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bread is my Achilles heel. I need to avoid buying it. If I have it in the house I'll eat it and then immediately regret it as the carbs/calories are always too much and push me out of my diet. The trouble is nothing is as good as bread - so best not to have the temptation.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Bread sucks, IMO. Better to put whatever you were gonna put in a sandwich, into a bowl, and then just eat it from there.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    nah, I like my cheese and chutney in a sandwich not on its own in a bowl.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Bread sucks, IMO. Better to put whatever you were gonna put in a sandwich, into a bowl, and then just eat it from there.

A slice of salami or cheese? In a bowl? That's very few calories and won't keep me full.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    nah, I like my cheese and chutney in a sandwich not on its own in a bowl.

😱

Chutney on cottage cheese. OMG I’m so trying that.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

No thanks chief 👍 I enjoy my BLTs on fresh white bread not in a bowl 🤷‍♀️
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Have not ditched bread. I like bread lol. The one I use has 120 calories per slice (Brownberry Healthnut). It just matters what works for you to fuel yourself properly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I made a mistake… that was for 2 slices of bread 🤠
    I’m still going to cut the bread off my shopping list,
    I really don’t think it’s good for me
    I really think wraps are a better alternative.

Ah so per sandwich then and about on a par with other posters counts.

I agree with the poster who said it isn't either/ or - meaning one can sometimes have a wrap, sometimes a sandwich or toast.

As to your question,have you ditched the bread?

No I havent. I have bread sometimes and a wrap occasionally.

As to bread going stale I solve that by keeping it in the freezer

This time of year when I don't feel like cooking, I've been having a wrap (with a side of beans) for lunch and a sandwich for dinner.

I eat the bread fast enough that it does not go bad in the refrigerator.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Wow, I've never seen a bread with 180 calories per slice! My breads (I buy two kinds) are about 160 calories for two slices.

I don't like flour wraps because they use palm oil and/or palmitate and it's a non-sustainable product, but definitely cutting back on grains in general has been a valid strategy for me. I don't buy cereals, crackers, pretzels, or chips very often and that helps my calorie intake quite a bit.

Not trying to talk to you into wraps, but just FYI some brands do skip on the palm, including Whole Foods:

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/product/365-by-whole-foods-market-organic-tortillas-flour-6-tortillas-12-oz-b07fw2s6j1

I was happy with my local store's brand last time I read the ingredients, but thanks to this thread I no longer am >.<
  • kshama2001
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I just added Ezekiel bread and Carbonaut gluten free. I can't imagine almond butter and preserves being as filling or desiresble on a wrap instead of bread. In that case I use a plain rice cake

I've had nut butter and preserves in a wrap but do prefer them on rice cakes. My brand is 35 calories - half that of my small wraps.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I personally could not fathom giving this up:

2zwbtd0b45qx.jpg
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I make my own 50-50 rye flour/whole wheat flour bread. It's composed of those flours, yeast, salt, brown malt vingear and a little molasses. I don't add any oil/fat to the recipe. It's still calorie dense but I will often have a 90g sized portion of it with my soup at lunch. It comes in about 235 cals for a serve and I even have 4g of butter spread on it.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »

I've had nut butter and preserves in a wrap but do prefer them on rice cakes. My brand is 35 calories - half that of my small wraps.

Yes, having nut butter, etc., on a wrap wouldn't be my choice either...I usually do rice cakes or when I make 'cloud bread'. A good sprouted Ezekiel/ Mana bread is so yum❤️