Great Running Shoes

Options
Hey MFP'ers

I have two pairs of shoes I use for jogging, I am a novice jogger and recently just started in late April with C25K. I plan on continuing with the jogging/running because I truly enjoy it for the most part, but lately I have been increasing my distance when I say "increasing" I mean like up to 4 miles lol, but my left heel has started to hurt. Long story short Im sure the shoes Im wearing are not the correct shoes, I do warm up, stretch and the whole shebang but wanted to know what shoes are great. I know everyones different but I'm not sure where to start and it has to be within my price range. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good idea to check out some new shoes, they can make a real differnce.
    There is no one "great" shoe - everyone's feet are so different, that it's impossible to recommend a particular brand that might suit you.
    The best idea is to go to a good running store where they will find the right shoe for you. Yes, it will cost more than buying at Spendless Shoes, but if it prevents an injury it will be money well spent.

(And if you are in the US, then enjoy your cheap shoes, they cost twice as much in Australia, in spite of our strong dollar!).
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Good idea to check out some new shoes, they can make a real differnce.
    There is no one "great" shoe - everyone's feet are so different, that it's impossible to recommend a particular brand that might suit you.
    The best idea is to go to a good running store where they will find the right shoe for you. Yes, it will cost more than buying at Spendless Shoes, but if it prevents an injury it will be money well spent.

(And if you are in the US, then enjoy your cheap shoes, they cost twice as much in Australia, in spite of our strong dollar!).

Thanks for the quick response I will definitely look into that this weekend!
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Kinvara 2s by Saucony! HOLY COW!
    Asics ANYTHING they are all very specific for what you want or need
    Stay away from nike! LOL

I only wear addidas shell toes for breaking or saucony original jazz for breaking
    I wear Columbia, northface or assics for trail running/hiking
    I wear asics kahanas as my workout shoe
    I wear Asics Frantics for running or workout (think NIke Shox)

SAUCONY KINVARA- running HOLy COW again! i repeat they are the greatest for me! So, just go try a bunch on! :) You will find something. Everyone is different and it depends on your foot.
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree. Go to a running store and have them fit you. They'll look at the tread on your old shoes and determine if it wears in a certain direction. When I started running, I went and the fitting was free. The shoes were about $100 which I think is pretty good considering how great I feel in them when I run and I know they'll last at least 6 months. I'm also a novice runner. Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When I got ready to start C25K I went to a running shoe store and got professionally evaluated. I'm sure it depends on your gait, whether you supinate or pronate, etc. I ended up with Saucony Kinvara 2's and I love them. Also, if you haven't run much, and your heel is hurting, are you landing on your heel when your foot comes down? Try landing midfoot..ball of your foot. Not that I am any kind of expert, just what I picked up when I started doing research before starting to run. And still pulled a calf muscle. :grumble:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    This may sound obvious, but this is a mistake a lot of people make. When you go shopping, make sure you are actually buying RUNNING shoes. They are engineered specifically for this activity. Cross trainers, Tennis Shoes, Basketball Shoes, Walking Shoes are not at all the same and will not provide the proper support when running.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Get fitted -- you're probably wearing the wrong size, I know I was!

I'm a big fan of New Balance but I have very narrow thin feet and they seem to work best for me.
    I also have some Saucony that are pretty comfy. I have nike shoes for zumba but didn't like them for running.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Someone else said it, but I'll say it again. Try not to land on your heel. Try to land forefoot or midfoot first. It will lower the impact by taking advantage of the natural shock-absorption of your arch, and will lessen the braking effect that heel striking causes.
  • Maridelsol82
    Options
    I got mine at Sports Basement in San Jose. They actually help you pick them out and watch you run in them to make sure there the right ones for you. They were about $100 bucks but totally worth it. Felt like I was running on clouds. Your also suppose to change your running shoes every year if you use them often. I havent cuz Ive been broke but definitely buying myself a new pair soon :)
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Kinvara 2s by Saucony! HOLY COW!
    Asics ANYTHING they are all very specific for what you want or need
    Stay away from nike! LOL

I only wear addidas shell toes for breaking or saucony original jazz for breaking
    I wear Columbia, northface or assics for trail running/hiking
    I wear asics kahanas as my workout shoe
    I wear Asics Frantics for running or workout (think NIke Shox)

SAUCONY KINVARA- running HOLy COW again! i repeat they are the greatest for me! So, just go try a bunch on! :) You will find something. Everyone is different and it depends on your foot.

Thanks, I remember you saying you were really into buying althletic shoes I definitely believe you know lol JK
    I currently have a pair of Adidas kanadia and Asics gel-kahana. I normally wear the Kahanas since they have more cushion it seems but i have to switch it up because lately my left heels hurts after I jog and when I wake up and lasts mildly a good chunk of the day! I will google some too thanks again!
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    When I got ready to start C25K I went to a running shoe store and got professionally evaluated. I'm sure it depends on your gait, whether you supinate or pronate, etc. I ended up with Saucony Kinvara 2's and I love them. Also, if you haven't run much, and your heel is hurting, are you landing on your heel when your foot comes down? Try landing midfoot..ball of your foot. Not that I am any kind of expert, just what I picked up when I started doing research before starting to run. And still pulled a calf muscle. :grumble:

Aww that sucks and ya Im sure I run incorrectly as well lol Im just a mess. Almost done reading "Running for Mortals" and I have picked up a few tips too thanks for your advice I think I will go to the store this weekend and get fitted 100 bucks is not to bad plu a fitting, thankfully theres a store that does that less than 10 minutes away thanks again!
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    This may sound obvious, but this is a mistake a lot of people make. When you go shopping, make sure you are actually buying RUNNING shoes. They are engineered specifically for this activity. Cross trainers, Tennis Shoes, Basketball Shoes, Walking Shoes are not at all the same and will not provide the proper support when running.

You are absolutely right and to be honest when i started this whole " new lifestyle" I just bought what was reasonably priced that felt comfy at the time and looked cute and started the jogging several months later. Plus my foot is about 1/2 to a full size smaller i have to wear thicker socks now, thanks for the 411!
  • kiwicakes
    kiwicakes Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to have New Balance, but after my last pair was getting seriously worn I bought a pair of Asics per friend's recommendation. I Love it so much, awesome running shoes, very very comfortable.
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Get fitted -- you're probably wearing the wrong size, I know I was!

I'm a big fan of New Balance but I have very narrow thin feet and they seem to work best for me.
    I also have some Saucony that are pretty comfy. I have nike shoes for zumba but didn't like them for running.

Definitely the wrong size I think about a half size to a full size to big with the weight loss! Thanks!
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot a few years ago and knew that because of my job (nurse) I would need a shoe that would really support while I was recovering/healing
    I will repeat what everyone else said and HIGHLY recommend going to a specialty shoe store or running shop.
    They suggested Brooks Ariel for me and it made all the difference in the world!! I didnt know I was a "severe pronator" until going to them. I no longer have foot/knee or back pain due to having the right shoe!!
    Specialty shoe stores=priceless!!
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    Someone else said it, but I'll say it again. Try not to land on your heel. Try to land forefoot or midfoot first. It will lower the impact by taking advantage of the natural shock-absorption of your arch, and will lessen the braking effect that heel striking causes.

Thanks I need to be more cautious of how Im running!
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    I got mine at Sports Basement in San Jose. They actually help you pick them out and watch you run in them to make sure there the right ones for you. They were about $100 bucks but totally worth it. Felt like I was running on clouds. Your also suppose to change your running shoes every year if you use them often. I havent cuz Ive been broke but definitely buying myself a new pair soon :)

To many factors of why I have the wrong shoes size, I use then 5/xs a week at least for about 9 months soon they might be ready to retire lol But i definitely need something fast because the heel pain started out with a bit then it increased to hurting more than half the day especially in the Am thanks friend I will look into fo'sheezy lol!
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    I used to have New Balance, but after my last pair was getting seriously worn I bought a pair of Asics per friend's recommendation. I Love it so much, awesome running shoes, very very comfortable.

I have some Asics too I really do like them but I have to part from them for many reasons ;( Thanks!
  • greenhumanclay
    Options
    I broke my foot a few years ago and knew that because of my job (nurse) I would need a shoe that would really support while I was recovering/healing
    I will repeat what everyone else said and HIGHLY recommend going to a specialty shoe store or running shop.
    They suggested Brooks Ariel for me and it made all the difference in the world!! I didnt know I was a "severe pronator" until going to them. I no longer have foot/knee or back pain due to having the right shoe!!
    Specialty shoe stores=priceless!!

Who knows what I will find out dum dum dum.. thanks for the info!!