Vegans/Vegetarians who eat over 120 grams of protein per day

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
Vegans/Vegetarians who eat over 120 grams of protein per day - can I see your diaries?

I'm so sick of eating meat. and I don't totally love chugging protein powder so if anyone has a system that's letting them avoid a ton of that, I want to see it

Replies

• ohdearlaura
    ohdearlaura Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can surely see mine :). While I'm not sure if I get over 120 grams a day, I get over what is recommended for me daily without even thinking about it most of the time.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i don't have an answer, but i wanted to lurk in this post because i'm curious what people say as well!
  • apmemo
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and from time to time I have over 120g protein. A lot of it is whey protein, sometimes egg whites (in foods, not alone), cottage cheese, greek yogurt, tofu, edamame, milk, and cheese. Right now is crazy for me though, so my diet is totally off.
  • I rarely use my protein powder, and when i do its only 1/2 a scoop. im not vegan or veggie, but i eat between 100-140 grams of protein per day. I eat a lot of egg whites, natural peanut butter, almonds, green vegetables, fish, and a small amount comes from whole grains. I have 1 piece of bread or a sandwich thin per day, so that really only contributes about 5 grams of protein. I also eat a lot of chicken, but i do not eat red meat and very very rarely eat pork.
  • jhoney8
    jhoney8 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That's a LOT of protein. I eat boca products (burgers, chik'n, bacon), trader Joe's meatless meatballs, beans. nuts and tofu for most of my protein. Have you thought about including fish? A lot of fish is really high in protein and low in calories and fat. Even with all this, I don't get even close to that much.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    That's a LOT of protein. I eat boca products (burgers, chik'n, bacon), trader Joe's meatless meatballs, beans. nuts and tofu for most of my protein. Have you thought about including fish? A lot of fish is really high in protein and low in calories and fat. Even with all this, I don't get even close to that much.

You weight in grams in protein a day is recommended for weight loss! Eg, a 120 lb girl would benefit from eating 100-140 grams per day (around 120). You should try :-)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I get 80-90 grams of protein per day, as a 53kg vegetarian. My diary is open to friends...

I could eat more protein, but as things stand I have reworked my diet to eat substantially more protein than what I used to. I used to avoid it like the plague.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I rarely use my protein powder, and when i do its only 1/2 a scoop. im not vegan or veggie, but i eat between 100-140 grams of protein per day. I eat a lot of egg whites, natural peanut butter, almonds, green vegetables, fish, and a small amount comes from whole grains. I have 1 piece of bread or a sandwich thin per day, so that really only contributes about 5 grams of protein. I also eat a lot of chicken, but i do not eat red meat and very very rarely eat pork.

Yeah, but you eat chicken which is very high protein for the calories. I'm just sick of eating chicken. Its not a red meat issue, its a animal-flesh issue. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan myself but I didn't used to eat meat for like literally every meal in addition to 1-2 scoops of protein powder per day, and now that seems to be the only way I get to it.

There are a lot of different 'rules of thumb' for how much protein you should eat when you are trying to lose weight and working out but 1 gram per pound of goal weight works for some, I'm going by .8 grams x current weight which is 140 for me. I'm doing this because its supposed to help prevent muscle loss while you lose weight -- last 8 lbs I lost was 5 lbs of fat and 3lbs of muscle, and I'm told I can make that 7lbs of fat and 1lb of muscle or less next time if I keep my protein up.

So I'm working at it but I'm sick of chicken, tuna, and protein powder!
  • tameko2
    Options
    hopeful bump
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It is rough, especially if you try to avoid processed faux meats. I am pescatarian so I enjoy the seafood option as well, but I try not to go there all the time either.

Lately I threw up my hands and have been on a faux meat bender. Getting plenty of protein, but not sure if I am feeling too great. Tomorrow I may try giving those a rest and going with just beans and protein shakes.
  • tameko2
    Options
    It is rough, especially if you try to avoid processed faux meats. I am pescatarian so I enjoy the seafood option as well, but I try not to go there all the time either.

Lately I threw up my hands and have been on a faux meat bender. Getting plenty of protein, but not sure if I am feeling too great. Tomorrow I may try giving those a rest and going with just beans and protein shakes.

yeah i do not love that stuff - i don't HATE it but its not my first choice either.