SKIROW Machine .

Options
Hey there,I skirowed today for one hour and 15 minutes .It was great and I have a extra earned 1,073 calories .But if I eat that what good did I do ?I won't loose anything if I did .I don't think I know it's impossible to eat over 2k calories .What do you guys say about this ?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Whether did you get the idea the only reason to exercise is to lose weight? You just said exercising was great?

I suspect your calorie burn is very exaggerated though.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I'm skeptical of that estimate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-RT3MvTY_8
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,145 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's very possible to eat over 2000 calories. I've done it a bunch of times - most days recently, in fact - as a 66 y/o 5'5" 120-something pound woman . . . and I lose weight slowly doing it, if I don't throw in the occasional day of 3000 or so to play catch-up.

Don't believe everything you read about women needing to eat tiny bird-like numbers of calories in order to lose weight.

I figure whoever needs to lose weight, and does so eating the maximum calories consistent with a sensible loss rate, is winning. Nutrition is useful, and food is tasty. Losing fast isn't necessarily the best way to go, IMO, for quite a few reasons. YMMV.

Is the 1000ish calories just from the workout, or is it your all-day fitness tracker calorie adjustment including the workout? Without knowing more about your "ski row machine", I don't have an informed opinion, if it's just the exercise. I do know that to get a 1000 calorie burn estimate (weight adjusted) from a Concept 2 RowErg in an hour and 15 minutes, I'd need to hold a pace that history suggests I can only hold for 8 minutes and change, and while I'm old, I'm not super slow. That does make me feel a certain amount of skepticism, gotta admit.

Some estimates suggest that completing an Olympic length triathlon in around 3 hours (decent-ish time) would burn 2000-3000 calories depending on body size, so you'd be claiming something equivalent to that burn rate, if not higher. Possible? Sure. Likely? 🤷‍♀️
  • valerierhoweth
    valerierhoweth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Whether did you get the idea the only reason to exercise is to lose weight? You just said exercising was great?

That's not my only reason .I have High cholesterol blood results and this helps the cholesterol and brings my good chojei up and strengthens my body ,scupts ,firms and strengthens all organs .Cardio very important I'm also whole foods lifestyle
  • valerierhoweth
    Options

That's not my only reason .I have High cholesterol blood results and this helps the cholesterol and brings my good chojei up and strengthens my body ,scupts ,firms and strengthens all organs .Cardio very important I'm also whole foods lifestyle

Calorie burn is calculated on my excersize yiw screen
  • valerierhoweth
    Options

• AnnPT77
    Options

That doesn't make the number it displays accurate.

I don't know about your machine, but some machines do exaggerate. In a way, it's a marketing plus for them if they tell users that they're burning a gazillion calories. Some machines make crazy claims. If the machine doesn't know your age, sex, and current weight, that makes the estimate even more questionable.

Did you watch that video?

Even machines that estimate more accurately will usually tell you gross calories, when what you'd prefer to log on MFP is net calories from the exercise.

What does that mean? If you think about it, you'd burn some calories just going about your normal day, and you can think about that for estimating purposes as an average number of calories per hour. For me, that would be around 75 calories per hour. If I get a calorie burn from most machines, it will include those calories, but MFP has already counted those. To be more accurate, I should subtract those calories (prorated for exercise time) and log the net calories, i.e., if I exercise an hour and a half, I should subtract about 113 calories (75 x 1.5).

Usually, that's not a huge factor with short exercise, but it can be important for long sessions.

BTW: "sculpts, firms and strengthens all organs" sounds like a sales pitch . . . maybe a little bit true, but probably exaggerated. I looked up your machine, understand what it is more or less, and it should be good exercise. The sculpting/firming thing is going to be a gradual, long-term thing from consistent exercise. The "all organs" part? I'm doubtful.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    There are only 2 types of machines one could call a "skirower." Either a NordicTrack or a Concept 2 SkiErg.

in either case, it would be extremely difficult (but not impossible) to exert 1k cal in 75 mins but the level of work (or exertion) would have to be over twice the 500 cals that I routinely "burn" on my C2 Rower in an hour, which would require considerable effort.

As for eating 2k cals in a day, that's also easily accomplished. My daily cal intake is about 2500 (minus 500 cals on the days that I row) which maintains my weight at a currently acceptable level.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would be very skeptical of that calories burned number. You might be closer to 600-700 active calories burned. Sorry we're all being party poopers, but you're getting some good advice here from some long-timers who know what they're talking about (not talking about me, I just ECHO the smart people :) )
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    There are only 2 types of machines one could call a "skirower." Either a NordicTrack or a Concept 2 SkiErg.

in either case, it would be extremely difficult (but not impossible) to exert 1k cal in 75 mins but the level of work (or exertion) would have to be over twice the 500 cals that I routinely "burn" on my C2 Rower in an hour, which would require considerable effort.

As for eating 2k cals in a day, that's also easily accomplished. My daily cal intake is about 2500 (minus 500 cals on the days that I row) which maintains my weight at a currently acceptable level.

There is a machine literally called Ski-Row, by Energy Fit. It's like the C2 SkiErg and RowErg in one machine. That could be the machine referenced, though of course I'm not sure.

After my PP, I looked up some C2 stats.

A 2:13 split on a C2 RowErg will get about a 800 calorie per hour estimate from the C2 (for their assumed 175 pound rower, i.e., not weight adjusted), which would be about 1000 for 75 minutes. OP's profile says she's female. Holding something close to 2:13 for 75 minutes would be a reasonably high-level performance for a woman.

The C2 RowErg 60-minute world record for women 30-39 - just to pick a middling age that's past the usual fastest age group - is just under a 1:50 split. 2:13 would be just a little faster than the 75 percentile split (2:15ish) for women 30-39 for 60 minutes, in the most recent full season, 2022.) But that's C2's calculations/stats, I don't know about other machines.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Ok then to answer your question, that's the good you do when you exercise and then eat your calories. 🙂 👍