I have ZERO energy

Options
Hi everyone,

Basically I struggle massively with eating. I wont eat all day, mainly because I'm exhausted and I can't bring myself to find the energy to cook, so I go all day without eating and then end up ordering take out and binging on that.

I work 12 hour shifts 3 days a week, I have 3 kids aged 10, 6 and 5 and I also struggle a lot with depression. On may days off, I literally sleep constantly. It's like nothing I do ever gives me enough energy.

I'm booking for blood tests tomorrow to check everything is ok but I've felt this way for a long while and my bloods have also shown up ok.

As of right now, its 20:40 pm, I had 2 bottles of coke and a sausage roll. I'm too tired to bother cooking and will not just not eat till tomorrow. My concern is how do I manage to cook and eat healthy when there just isn't enough energy to go around.

Is there anything I can do to try and give myself some energy?

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    It's important to break these cycles. Sitting down face-to-face with your physician is the best place to begin.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Before the blood tests, I'd hate to give any advice. Iron, thyroid and/or B-12 deficiencies are some of my first guesses.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    You have more control of your life than anyone else. START! That’s the important thing.
    Which is easier for you to start on?
    Food - Subway instead of McDonald’s.
    Rotisserie chicken and pre made salad from grocery store.
    Tuna salad kits.
    Maybe not the best, but baby steps in the right direction.

Exercise- games with kids?
    Put on your exercise shoes and take the kids to the park. See what happens.
    While watching tv, get a drink of water or go to the bathroom during commercials.

Sleep - allow yourself 8 hours in bed, then alarm and get up.

START

Good luck!
  • Hollis300
    Hollis300 Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Agree, see a doctor to check the basics.

I understand about being physically exhausted. I work overnights at a physical job 5 nights a week.

You asked how to cook and eat a healthier diet when you don't have energy. You have to change something or everything will stay the same as it is now.

Here are some emergency/exhaustion food ideas:

(1) I prefer "real" food to shakes, but I keep some protein shakes at home for when I'm too tired to cook. The one I like the best is a nondairy 20 g protein and 4 g sugar (I don't know if I'm allowed to give the name, so I won't). It doesn't have stevia, which I can't stand. Experiment and find one you like.

(2) Batch cook one day a week. Make up some food you know you like and freeze it. Do it while you play music to make it less of a chore.

(3) Instant oatmeal -- microwave and add some unsalted nuts like walnuts, cashews, or sunflower seeds, or a small amount of low sugar fruit like berries. Instant oatmeal is not as good for you as "real" oatmeal, but better than fast food.

(4) Make up a giant salad with vegetables that you can eat for several days. I eat a spinach salad every day for one of my meals. Watch the dressing, which is often where the calories are.

(5) Editing this to add keep some frozen vegetables at home. Microwaving some frozen vegetables should be as simple as ordering takeout. Also, Greek yogurt is a good staple to keep at home -- not the sugary kind, just plain yogurt. I keep some nondairy Greek yogurt around at all times.

Good luck. Make one change this week and see how it goes.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I would just add that there are healthy frozen dinners also, in a pinch, or premade salads, yogurt is good to keep on hand.

I suffered from depression so badly about 25 years ago I could hardly function. I was sleeping 12 hours a night and so tired at work that I could barely walk to the bathroom during breaks. If your bloodwork comes back good, ask to try an antidepressant until you can get things under better control. I started on one and within a few weeks I felt like a new person. I no longer take them but they definitely helped. But have your doctor evaluate you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When my anemia gets out of control, I have crippling fatigue. I know you are getting blood tests today - for others reading, do not start supplementing with iron without getting a blood test first as too much iron can cause problems.

Ask your doctor about antidepressants that also help with fatigue. Both Wellbutrin and Cymbalta helped me with this.

Also, what I eat really affects my energy level. I know when you have no energy it's tempting to grab something quick - but that quick thing may be contributing to the problem. I've fallen in love with rotisserie chicken this summer - I always have a protein source around that I didn't need to cook. Meeting my protein goal helps me to not overeat foods that lower my energy.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,301 Member
    Options
    There are options between one 'extreme' of fully home-cooked meals and the other 'extreme' of take-away: healthy convenience options from your supermarket. Healthy ready meals, pre-made salads, pre-cut vegetables that reduce prep time for cooking, fruit/vegetables that don't require prep (for example cherry tomatoes),... And even take-away has a wide range of foods.
    Don't aim for perfection, just start with some quick wins like stocking up on healthier convenience foods so that you don't need to reach for your takeaway menus :smile: