Intermittent Fasting

Options
Anyone doing intermittent fasting?

Replies

• bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes! I’m doing the 16:8 right now. I stop eating around 6-7pm and I’ve been slowing pushing eating towards 12pm. Some days it works others it doesn’t but still some form of 16 or 18 hour fasts. :)
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've been doing 16:8 for about 2 weeks now. It's getting easier. I used to struggle a bit in the evenings even though I had dinner at 7-8pm. I was used to snacking at night so this has eliminated that habit. I haven't lost much weight yet. I'm on the low side of my usual weight range though. I'm going to keep it up for at least another month before I draw any conclusions about whether it's working.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing this and signed up to a free trial on simple. Which is rubbish. I was also concerned about eating late in the morning because we all know that our metabolism doesn’t kick in until we’ve started eating. Also I feel really sick if I don’t eat in the morning
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    That's EXACTLY one of the reasons why I do "IT" .. to let my digestive system get a rest. I've read that it takes many hours for your digestion to complete it's cycle ... Digestion starts in your mouth when you chew the food you are eating, then it continues as it passes through to the stomach and enters the small intestine and the emptying of the large intestine could actually take you into the next day! ... I don't wait around for the digestion to get all the way through but do try to let my stomach get a rest! ...

I think a lot of people mis-state metabolism when the mean digestion.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    That's EXACTLY one of the reasons why I do "IT" .. to let my digestive system get a rest. I've read that it takes many hours for your digestion to complete it's cycle ... Digestion starts in your mouth when you chew the food you are eating, then it continues as it passes through to the stomach and enters the small intestine and the emptying of the large intestine could actually take you into the next day! ... I don't wait around for the digestion to get all the way through but do try to let my stomach get a rest! ...

You don't need to "let your digestion" rest. That is a fundamental function of your body. And doing IF means you will generally have larger meals during your feeding window, which takes longer to digest vs smaller more frequent meals.

OP, I eat two meals a day most days. So i "IF". I do it because i need large meals. But I don't follow a strict feeding, non feeding schedule.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nsk1951 wrote: »

You don't need to "let your digestion" rest. That is a fundamental function of your body. And doing IF means you will generally have larger meals during your feeding window, which takes longer to digest vs smaller more frequent meals.

OP, I eat two meals a day most days. So i "IF". I do it because i need large meals. But I don't follow a strict feeding, non feeding schedule.

This is for me too... I prefer larger meals to feel full for a long time. I never subscribed to any added benefits from eating this way except being able to control my calories better. 🤷‍♀️

• azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    done both. can't do IF anymore because i rather not eat 2600-3000 in 2 separate sessions, rather just eat 500-600 5 times a day
  • angellasingclair
    Options
    Am trying the IF but its hard I swear with my shifts 7am to 3 pm , 8:30am to 5pm, 2pm to 10pm and have 2 kids traveling to school and after school there at work with me its ruff hard to keep up
  • driganezis
    driganezis Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, i am doing the 16/8 module for about 43 weeks now. IF helped me a lot to maintain my slightly calorie deficit (350 cals) without difficulty, in order to loose about 0,35kg per week. Till now i have lost 15kg and 16cm in my waist circumference.
  • spygirl2014
    spygirl2014 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As a way of controlling my eating window and perhaps shining a light on WHAT I eat, I've found occasional fasting helpful. I'm not strict about following a so many days per week schedule though. I think it will be a good tool for maintenance after I get to GW. That's what it is though-- a tool. Not for everyone, but if it works for you without creating stress, add it to the toolbox.
  • Cinder333
    Cinder333 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did intermittent fasting for about a month and lost 6 pounds without trying. I was doing a 16:8 window. I actually found it to be the easiest thing I have tried. I stopped doing it because I had an illness, but I am starting back up today. I felt so much better when I was doing it, but I know it isn't for everyone. Also, for me I think the 6 pounds (now 4 because I gained 2 back when I quit) was probably about the max I will lose without now looking at calories. My plan is to do the fasting again while also tracking my calories. For me I think (hope) it will be easier to eat at a deficit during a smaller window.

My biggest issue BY FAR is a terrible Cherry Coke habit. That is what I really need to fix.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Agreed with above. Our metabolism is always
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    we all know that our metabolism doesn’t kick in until we’ve started eating.

The definition of metabolism is: the chemical processes that occur within a living organism in order to maintain life.

If your metabolism were to stop, you'd die. Immediately. It doesn't "kick in" at any particular time; it's constant, 24/7/365 functions going on inside your body, every second of every day, until you kick the bucket. Full stop. Fasting does not change that one iota.

Maybe "kick in" was meant to mean metabolic rate "increases" which it does through the thermic effect of food which also increases body temp and breathing.
  • stoneheronjewelry
    Options
    I've been doing IF on and off for a number of years. When I'm on, I find that I get tons of energy, more focus, and more drive. I do lose a lot of weight, too, but that's not really why I do it.