Returning back to start losing weight

Options
Please help me suggest some means to lose weight besides myfitnesspal. I have a sedentary lifestyle due to issues with the knee joints and ankle joints which are also a cause due to overweight. Weighing in at 94 kgs at 172 cm is not at all healthy.... any suggestions are welcome!!!

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,494 Member
    Options
    If you’re serious about getting started, read the stickies ar the top of each sub-board.

It will be time well invested.
  • SnotfaceMcGee
    SnotfaceMcGee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hiya, welcome to the club! If you're looking to increase your calories burned, I'd suggest things like gentle walks (if your knees and ankles are up to it), water aerobics or swimming (easier on all of the joints) and, for cardio, you can try starting out with some sitting down shadow boxing (works up a sweat). You don't have to do all of these things, but try experimenting to see what food plan and what exercise plan works for you and you should be on your way in no time, Best!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone has said above, there are chair exercises you can do. Search Youtube for ideas!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Here's a current thread about exercising despite knee pain that you might find useful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10873122/working-out-with-arthritis-and-knee-pain
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    I saw this recently. It's a tool to get some cardio with upper body only.

https://youtu.be/r9DDu3PEUo4
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What can you do in term of daily movement and exercise?
    e.g. My knees are a mess and I can't run - but I can cycle a lot as it's kind to my damaged joints.

Getting lighter will take some of the pressure off your knees and ankles.

But look at exercise (and fixing being sedentary...) as being for health and enjoyment - weight loss and weight maintenance at a healthy weight is predominantly about eating the correct amount of food and that remains totally in your control.

• Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I saw this recently. It's a tool to get some cardio with upper body only.

https://youtu.be/r9DDu3PEUo4

I would totally punch myself in the face doing that 😱
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What can you do in term of daily movement and exercise?
    e.g. My knees are a mess and I can't run - but I can cycle a lot as it's kind to my damaged joints.

Getting lighter will take some of the pressure off your knees and ankles.

But look at exercise (and fixing being sedentary...) as being for health and enjoyment - weight loss and weight maintenance at a healthy weight is predominantly about eating the correct amount of food and that remains totally in your control.

I haven't run since I got out of the military 20+ years ago and no one could make me run anymore. I don't miss it one bit :lol:

I've had knee issues for 10+ years but still manage lots of (no and low impact) cardio, some of which I put on the thread link I posted above.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    There is no magic to this:
    We lose weight in the kitchen and what we put in our mouth.
    We gain strength and muscle with exercise.

Eat fewer calories than you burn consistently over days, weeks and months and you will lose weight.

Track what you eat.

Discipline will lead to freedom.