OMAD

Options
2»

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Woo clicks are meaningless. Half the time I think Woo clicks translate into 'I don't agree' more than an indication that something you've said is Woo. Particularly since (as far as I can tell) Woo'ing a post is anonymous.

Woo relies on the other hand are a different story. If your post gets actual replies calling it woo then there's a pretty good chance your info might be, to put it diplomatically, out of date =)
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Have been eating one meal a day for almost 5 months now. Absolutely love it. Can't see myself every eating any other way ever again. Only took about a week for me to get used to it. And paying attention to electrolyte levels is very important.
  • rakeshvet
    rakeshvet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It took around 3-4 days for me to get used to it. I've been doing OMAD for the past 2 months now. I was previously doing 16-8 intermittent fasting for about 6 years. Rather than hunger pangs, I had irritations. My mind was focusing on food. I drank water, tea etc. to help make the feelings go away. After a few day, hunger never bothered me.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    rakeshvet wrote: »
    It took around 3-4 days for me to get used to it. I've been doing OMAD for the past 2 months now. I was previously doing 16-8 intermittent fasting for about 6 years. Rather than hunger pangs, I had irritations. My mind was focusing on food. I drank water, tea etc. to help make the feelings go away. After a few day, hunger never bothered me.

Weight loss aside, I understand this way of eating is meant to be extremely beneficial from a longevity point of view. A lot of extremely knowledgeable geneticists are saying this is the #1 way to avoid disease and increase longevity, so I have to say, it has me intrigued! How do you find it makes you feel otherwise?
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    I haven’t done it. But I read an article about it that suggested moving to OMAD gradually. Eg., if today your eating window is 12 hours, then cut that to 10 hours.
    Then after a couple of weeks cut that to 9 hours, then reduce by another hour every week or two. Until you get to a 1 hour eating window.

I don’t think I could it. I like eating throughout the day. It ensure I take breaks from work throughout the day.

Good luck
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,931 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Yeah I probably couldn't jump straight into it, i suppose I should have looked into IF more so as that sounds manageable.

Reducing the number of meals you eat is not a means to lose weight at all so there is absolutely no reason to do any of it unless it aligns with the way you normally eat.

Just eat the way that comes naturally while maintaining a calorie deficit.

Yeah, that's not true. Many people find eating fewer meals makes them less hungry and therefore eat fewer overall calories. It could be said evolutionary that eating on a schedule or "naturally" was how we adapted to starvation by storing excessive calories from that contestant supply of food as body fat for the times we couldn't find much. I think it's not a stretch to see who benefits from a population munching constantly.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Yeah, that's not true. Many people find eating fewer meals makes them less hungry and therefore eat fewer overall calories. It could be said evolutionary that eating on a schedule or "naturally" was how we adapted to starvation by storing excessive calories from that contestant supply of food as body fat for the times we couldn't find much. I think it's not a stretch to see who benefits from a population munching constantly.
    Maybe, but it's still the caloric deficit which produces the weight loss. IF is a tool to help people reach that deficit, and if it's working for people, great. The problem is when IF is promoted on its own as a silver bullet, and that's when there is pushback here. It needs to be IF with caloric deficit. It's not a license to eat whatever you want in a short window (not saying you said that).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,931 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Maybe, but it's still the caloric deficit which produces the weight loss. IF is a tool to help people reach that deficit, and if it's working for people, great. The problem is when IF is promoted on its own as a silver bullet, and that's when there is pushback here. It needs to be IF with caloric deficit. It's not a license to eat whatever you want in a short window (not saying you said that).

I never said it wasn't a calorie deficit that produced weight loss. It's seems that anytime someone mentions something that they feel threatens calories in and calories out the need to come and defend. Any method to lose weight whether it be low carb, high carb, med diet, it really doesn't matter that resulted in weight loss will have conformed to CICO and IF is no exception. Anyway like I've mentioned in previous posts IF or fasting isn't necessarily about weight loss but can be a tool if that is a goal. My focus generally speaking is on the science of nutrition and yeah calories are important but so is all aspects of nutrition and I like to keep an open mind. Cheers. What I bolded is a different thing altogether, and yes your right I never said that.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing 23:1 or 22:2 for about 4 months. I follow a lower carb diet because I’m type 2. It took me about 2-3 weeks to fully adjust. Generally, I only ate two large meals a day anyway (I don’t eat breakfast) so the transition wasn’t bad. I made up for hunger pains by drinking water and electrolytes. Now I eat at supper and I’m full and fine. This WOE stabilized my blood sugar and got rid of my digestive issues. I love it and it’s definitely sustainable to me. I eat better when my whole meal is in my face at once. By default, I cut out most processed foods and eat meat and veggies. Of course I treat myself every once in a while but this works for me!
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to count the weeks but stopped. Been doing OMAD since the start of the new year. We are in September now, so 9+ months. Easy for me because I have always tended to eat one large meal a day and then snack later in the evening. I'm also a low-carb person. OMAD is not for everyone but it doesn't hurt to try for a few weeks. My wife does 18:6 and that works for her.

It's not something magical, just something easy to control intake. I've read a few books and have watched a lot of videos. I believe about 25% of what I see. In all dieting, lots of questionable claims. What matters is what works for you.

Over the summer, when on vacation with family and friends, I've dropped OMAD for a few days. Still tried to make good food choices but Day 1 back on OMAD takes a little will power. Once you are back in the groove, you really stop thinking about it though.

CICO still matters on OMAD for me. Not that hard to eat a days worth of calories plus some in a single meal. Food choices are important, as are substitutions. Cooking the food you love, grew up with, and always return to with lower calories. I've put a lot of effort into this.

I'm also a firm believer that Kitchen is 95% of a diet. Keep only good food in the house and know what foods you cannot be around. Exercise, water intake, gym, stopping smoking, etc really don't help much, for me. (I've never smoked) The only exercise that I do, is walking the dog once or twice a day. He's 15 years old, blind and deaf. Not much exercise really.

Good luck, most importantly, keep trying. If this doesn't work, there is something that will. Don't hesitate to pivot to something else. If you stay motivated, something eventually will work for you.