Cardio/Lifting Weights - where to start

Options
For someone who hasn’t worked out in months and just getting back into it what would you recommend? Every time I start doing weights I’m so sore I stop.

Cardio/Lifting Weights - where to start 23 votes

Cardio
0%
Weight lifting
4%
MelodiousMermaid 1 vote
Combine both
65%
CatchMom11katylilninerbuffQbaimeeDancingMoosieChef_Barbellwestrich20940pridesabtchslade51Lietchievanessen59Ashley_in_wonderlandmichael6186JaysFan82justlog2day 15 votes
Cardio then slowly add in weight lifting
30%
BrianSharpenossmfLadySatonlorrainewinkelage_is_just_a_numberwoody_coxsmccary77 7 votes

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,526 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is normal after unfamiliar exercise. Start with lighter weights, lower reps, shorter workout, while you get used to it, and while you master your form.

Most would likely say do cardio and weights each week. Not in the same session, except with cardio as a warmup. IMO if you're extremely overweight then do more cardio at first to help with generating a calorie deficit, most of which should come from your diet, but also do some weights, then gradually increase the time and effort doing weights.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    DOMS (delayed muscle soreness from exercise) is way worse when you first start. After 10 years of regular exercise, I hardly ever get DOMS any longer.

Just go super slow and incremental. Sometimes super light cardio can help get rid of muscle soreness. Also, nothing wrong with taking a day or two off if needed.

Work on diet first and gradually build in exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ramp on. Don't just jump into everything all at once...go slow and build up. Even if you just start with cardio, you're still going to get DOMs when you start lifting because you'll be working your muscles completely differently so I don't know that it matters so much if you do one or the other or both...you just want to start slow and build up. Don't go from zero to everyday regardless.

For weight training, I generally recommend beginners do a full body program. When I've had a hiatus I will usually start with 2x per week weight training with plenty of time spread between the two sessions and then a couple of weeks later I will add in that third day. So I might start out with weight training on Tuesday and Friday and do that for a couple of weeks and then do Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

If I was just starting out or back from a long hiatus I might to 2x per week weight training and 2-3x per week cardio and then work my way up to 3x per week weight training and 5x per week cardio. Just starting I'd stick to those 2-3x per week sessions being on non lifting days. Once your fitness is improved you can start adding more days of cardio. When I do cardio on my lifting days I typically lift during my lunch hour and do my cardio either in the morning when I get up or in the evening when I get home but not in the same session as my lifting.

• Joramaisi3
    Joramaisi3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will spend September focusing on diet and walking again. I haven’t worked out all summer then in October adding in weights. Thanks for the feedback
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I just started exercising/working out again like 2 months ago. I started doing cardio (C25K) and then walking on the off days. After a week of that I started working out with weights/body weight exercises. The first week of that I took it very easy: light weights, high reps, just get my muscles used to working again, because if not the DOMS will shut you down for a good week. After that I ramped it up and never had any real issues/soreness. Now I run one day, workout the next, rinse, wash, repeat.

Give yourself a chance to acclimate and you’ll be all good!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Combine both
    Slow & steady wins the race. Just remember that. When it comes to weight training, take it easy - negative resistance is your friend. Too many people rush through their workouts and don't get nearly enough from them as they could. Start out light and work your way up.

If your looking for weight-loss, you want to add your cardio in last. Muscle burns more calories than fat. You'll extend your burn when you do your weight training first and cardio last. I spent about 6 month training with my PT and 4 years later, it's still paying off. She would have me do a warmup of some sort, usually on a rower, but sometimes on an elliptical. However, I always did cardio-cardio last.

Just remember though, your body needs a switch every now & then. It gets stagnate. That's when we plateau.

Give yourself time and allow yourself to fall & get back up again - no one's perfect! You'll be great!
  • sarah_gale
    sarah_gale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't forget swimming! ...and also I've heard that magnesium can help with DOMS ... that's what epsom salts are
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Combine both
    sarah_gale wrote: »
    Don't forget swimming! ...and also I've heard that magnesium can help with DOMS ... that's what epsom salts are

Magnesium citrate is awesome for DOMS and recovery! Just make sure it's in the citrate form as your body absorbs it better in citrate form than just regular magnesium.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    Agree to start with what you enjoy and are more likely to stick with.

For me, I enjoy lifting - I don't enjoy DOMS anymore than the next person, but after the first two weeks the significant DOMS typically goes away - a major switch up may add some, but if I'm consistently working out, it doesn't generally get to the "stuck on the toilet/can't wash my hair" level lol.

When I first really got into lifting I think it lasted a little longer, but by this point, while a few months off might have me regretting life choices for a couple weeks, by the third week any DOMS is pretty mild and almost a "Woohoo - that was a good workout!"
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're the victim of your own enthusiasm. It's not unusual to really overdo things when embarking on a new fitness program. That's one of the reasons that many new runners end up quitting; too much, too fast too soon resulting in an injury.

No matter what exercises you end up doing start slowly and build gradually. If it means starting off with very light weights and not too many reps/sets that's what you do.

I've always loved my tri club's philosophy of every workout leaving you wanting more.

Be patient and be consistent. Progress may seem slow at first but you'll amaze yourself with what you're capable of.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Start slowly.
    No matter what you do, you are likely to have some amount of doms ( delayed onset muscle soreness). The best remedy for doms is to exercise again the next day.
    After a week or so, it will settle down.