OATMEAL OMG

Options
oatmeal is fantastic no? i used to eat it daily - but i was having the 'sugar free' instant packets.
i recently switched to whole grain quick oats and mix a bit of my protein powder in there for flavor!

anyone else have yummy oatmeal ideas or creations?

Replies

• popupvideo
    popupvideo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't have any fancy creations but I am OBSESSED with oatmeal! It's so comforting and yummy!

Mmmmm
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I used to eat the instant kind as well but now eat steel cut oats with brown sugar.... YUM!! I can't eat the instant kind anymore it takes terrible after eating real oats!
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    I know my husband likes to remake the oatmeal they sell at the coffee shops. He buys the dried fruit, nuts and brown sugar to add to it. I myself love adding hemp milk to granola and oatmeal (separately). It adds a really nutty quality that is new and refreshing to my palate.
  • comalucid
    comalucid Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of cooking old fashioned oats with some vanilla and cinnamon and adding unsweetened applesauce once it's done.

Guilt free apple pie :)
  • kissiefish
    Options
    I am a fan of cooking old fashioned oats with some vanilla and cinnamon and adding unsweetened applesauce once it's done.

Guilt free apple pie :)

Very nice!!! thanks for the tip!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    I used to eat the instant kind as well but now eat steel cut oats with brown sugar.... YUM!! I can't eat the instant kind anymore it takes terrible after eating real oats!

^^^ditto!!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Take the steel cut oats and flavour it with any of the following
    honey
    maple syrup
    molasses
    various frozen berries
    stevia
  • daves160
    Options
    Oatmeal is awesome. I just use regular oats and put in brown sugar. simple yet delicious.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    this is the best website ever for oatmeal ideas:

http://edibleperspective.com/recipes/

pics:
    1of172.jpg

MG_0148.jpg

MG_6390.jpg

1of14_thumb.jpg
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I like to make my porridge oats with cinnamon, mixed spice, raisins, and a wee bit of brown sugar. It's like have oatmeal raisin cookies for breakfast, but without being so naughty!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Agreed! For a lazy way to make it...13 oz water + 1/2 c oats in the mini crock, two hours on high. We use a timer and it's ready to go for breakfast!
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oats - Quick Cooking Oatmeal (Plain), 1/2 cup dry
    Water - Municipal, 1 cup (8 fl oz)
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 0.5 small (2-1/2" dia) (approx 4 per lb)
    Generic - Ground Cinnimon, 0.25 Tablespoon (1/4tsp)
    Splenda Packets - Sugar, 2 packet
    Generic - Salt Dash, 1 dash
    Silk Soy Milk - Vanilla Light 70 Cal Per 1 Cup Serving , 1 cup

Sometimes I use almond milk instead or Coconut milk..This is AWESOME as the oatmeal actually doubles in size!!

Mix Water & MIlk in saucepan, cut up apple into chunks & add to pan, add sugar, cinn & salt..Stir it all up. Heat on Med High heat for 20min, until apples soften. This is a Hungry Girl Recipe..LOTS of good ideas on there.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I put maple syrup or normal syrup (just a small amount) and some chopped up pecans or almonds in mine, yum!
  • raynalisa
    raynalisa Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Love my Oatmeal with Almond milk and some low cal cocoa mix (swiss miss is great, only 25 cal). Throw in some bananas too....

I know that Hungry Girl is a touchy subject around here but she has some Awesome Oatmeal recipes.
  • raynalisa
    raynalisa Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    and Gerber freeze dried fruits are great mixed into oatmeal too! Apples or Bananas with Strawberries. They are only 25 cal for 1/4 cup!
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    This is funny because I was just taking a break and sitting here eating my packet of instant oatmeal and thinking "People actually like this?" lol I'll have to try your suggestions!
  • Emdog24
    Emdog24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    In the fall especially I LOVE plain oatmeal with a scoop (about a quarter cup) of pumpkin mixed in and then add some cinnamon. NOM.

And if you have a Trader Joe's nearby, their heart healthy Cranberry Oatmeal is AMAZING.

and my saturday morning standby is plain oats + unsweetened vanilla almond milk + 1 tbsp peanut butter - the best!
  • Chaseyk
    Chaseyk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love Oatmeal 2 but it tends to give me heartburn is that normal?
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    My favorite oatmeal toppings are:

diced apple
    walnuts
    nut butter
    raisins
    slivered almonds
    cinnamon