5K for new or newer runners

Options
I have completed the C25k program, but did it on a treadmill and never quite hit the 30 minutes of continuous running. I did a 5k with my Air Force daughter on June 16th..run/walk intervals. I finished in 45 minutes, but running outside sure is more difficult than running on a treadmill! I am doing another one in Dayton Ohio (Air Force 5k), as my daughter is in the Air Force Reserves and currently deployed. We're doing it 'virtually' together. Any suggestions as how to increase my ability to run more than walk during these? How often should I run? Should I eat before I run? I'd like to have a group to support one another in this journey and provide anything that has helped you.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I trained mostly on the treadmill before my first 5k too and had horrible shin splints by about the 3rd km. Agreed running outside is different.

If you really want to see improvements you should be running 3 or 4 times per week. For the moment you're only interested in getting fitter, not faster (that will come over time). You should also be running at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation even if it feels unnaturally slow.

When I started running I could barely make it around the block (I didn't follow a specific program) but it went something like walk 10 min, run 1; after a coupe of weeks it was walk 9 minutes & run 2 etc until I could run 10 minutes continuously with a 1 minute walk break in between. From there I just added a minute to the run intervals until I could go 30 minutes and from there worked my way up to half marathon distances and triathlons.

Be patient but be consistent. Listen to your body but don't let your brain lie to you, you'll quit mentally before your body really has to stop.

As to eating before running you probably don't need to. If you're eating a relatively well balanced diet you probably have enough stored glycogen to see you through your training sessions (interestingly one of the adaptations runners go through is the ability to store more glycogen). It's unlikely that you have to worry about bonking until you're doing longer distances (5Ks are a gateway race).

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I did C25k on the TM as well, several years ago. I started in August, which is really hot and humid where I live, but after it cooled off I started running outside. Where I live is hilly, which I found very intimidating, so I still did most of my runs on the TM for a long while. It seemed then that running outdoors was much harder. The problem is that when running on the TM your pace is set by the buttons. You can start really slow and gradually speed up as you warm up. Outside you have to set your own pace, and it can be hard to find a pace that feels easy. It does come with practice. However, once I got used to the difference in incline, surface and weather, I found running outside to be both easier and faster. At this point, I much prefer to run outdoors. I still use the TM though when it is too hot or when the roads are icy.

To prepare for your 5k, do as many runs outside as you can. Run 3-4 days a week at a slow easy pace for 30-45 minutes. It will get easier with practice.
  • Unstoppable_
    Unstoppable_ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did C25k on the TM as well, several years ago. I started in August, which is really hot and humid where I live, but after it cooled off I started running outside. Where I live is hilly, which I found very intimidating, so I still did most of my runs on the TM for a long while. It seemed then that running outdoors was much harder. The problem is that when running on the TM your pace is set by the buttons. You can start really slow and gradually speed up as you warm up. Outside you have to set your own pace, and it can be hard to find a pace that feels easy. It does come with practice. However, once I got used to the difference in incline, surface and weather, I found running outside to be both easier and faster. At this point, I much prefer to run outdoors. I still use the TM though when it is too hot or when the roads are icy.

To prepare for your 5k, do as many runs outside as you can. Run 3-4 days a week at a slow easy pace for 30-45 minutes. It will get easier with practice.

I find that I really prefer to run outside, though it physically can be more difficult. Mentally, it is easier for me. I never thought in a million years that I would like to run. The hardest part is getting up and getting out there! Afterward, I feel that the stress has released from my body! I'm still not able to run an entire 5k, but instead, I do walk/run intervals. I've actually been walk/running 6 days a week. I sometimes wonder if that's too much? I am determined to keep this as part of my lifestyle. It really makes me feel better mentally and physically!
  • Unstoppable_
    Options
    I trained mostly on the treadmill before my first 5k too and had horrible shin splints by about the 3rd km. Agreed running outside is different.

If you really want to see improvements you should be running 3 or 4 times per week. For the moment you're only interested in getting fitter, not faster (that will come over time). You should also be running at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation even if it feels unnaturally slow.

When I started running I could barely make it around the block (I didn't follow a specific program) but it went something like walk 10 min, run 1; after a coupe of weeks it was walk 9 minutes & run 2 etc until I could run 10 minutes continuously with a 1 minute walk break in between. From there I just added a minute to the run intervals until I could go 30 minutes and from there worked my way up to half marathon distances and triathlons.

Be patient but be consistent. Listen to your body but don't let your brain lie to you, you'll quit mentally before your body really has to stop.

As to eating before running you probably don't need to. If you're eating a relatively well balanced diet you probably have enough stored glycogen to see you through your training sessions (interestingly one of the adaptations runners go through is the ability to store more glycogen). It's unlikely that you have to worry about bonking until you're doing longer distances (5Ks are a gateway race).

Thank you so much for your reply! I am currently run/walking 6 days a week. Do you feel that is too much? I did 1.5 miles today (all that time would allow today), and my first mile was 15'40". I know that is slow, but it is improving. For me, it's not really about the time, it's about the distance. I 100% agree that your brain can lie to you! I have literally talked to myself to keep moving. I do pay attention to my max heart rate (the nurse in me). If I'm consistently above my max heart rate, I will power walk for a bit until it goes down a little. I'm so excited for this journey and this is the best I've felt in a very long time!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    "I am currently run/walking 6 days a week. "....that may be overdoing it a bit if you're incorporating running that frequently. By all means walk 6 or 7 days a week but to allow for adequate recovery / adaptation limit the days that you run to maybe 4 a week. (Typically I run Tue - Thu - Sat -Sun with Sunday being my longest but slowest run of the week)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply! I am currently run/walking 6 days a week. Do you feel that is too much? I did 1.5 miles today (all that time would allow today), and my first mile was 15'40". I know that is slow, but it is improving. For me, it's not really about the time, it's about the distance. I 100% agree that your brain can lie to you! I have literally talked to myself to keep moving. I do pay attention to my max heart rate (the nurse in me). If I'm consistently above my max heart rate, I will power walk for a bit until it goes down a little. I'm so excited for this journey and this is the best I've felt in a very long time!

What do you mean with max heart rate? Your max heart rate, per definition, is your highest possible heart rate, so going above it is not possible 🙂 unless you mean your theoretical max heart rate (according to formula) - those formulas can be wildly wrong on an individual level.
  • Unstoppable_
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

What do you mean with max heart rate? Your max heart rate, per definition, is your highest possible heart rate, so going above it is not possible 🙂 unless you mean your theoretical max heart rate (according to formula) - those formulas can be wildly wrong on an individual level.

I do understand what you mean! I'm going by the American Heart Association's Chart and calculations, and they do say "The figures are averages, so use them as a general guide."
    Age Target HR Zone 50-85% Average Maximum Heart Rate, 100%
    20 years 100-170 beats per minute (bpm) 200 bpm
    30 years 95-162 bpm 190 bpm
    35 years 93-157 bpm 185 bpm
    40 years 90-153 bpm 180 bpm
    45 years 88-149 bpm 175 bpm
    50 years 85-145 bpm 170 bpm
    55 years 83-140 bpm 165 bpm
    60 years 80-136 bpm 160 bpm
    65 years 78-132 bpm 155 bpm
    70 years 75-128 bpm 150 bpm

Or the common 220-age calculation.
  • Unstoppable_
    Options
    "I am currently run/walking 6 days a week. "....that may be overdoing it a bit if you're incorporating running that frequently. By all means walk 6 or 7 days a week but to allow for adequate recovery / adaptation limit the days that you run to maybe 4 a week. (Typically I run Tue - Thu - Sat -Sun with Sunday being my longest but slowest run of the week)

I have started doing the run/walk (as I can't run the whole time) 4 days a week, and then I just walk 3 days a week. I need to listen to my body more, as I was becoming increasingly fatigued and perhaps setting myself up for injury. Thank you!!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    Relating to max heart rate: I would just ignore that formula, since it's obviously wrong for you. Better to use the rate of perceived exertion for example, or simply use your breathing as a gauge: can you still talk while running? If not, you're probably running too fast.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Others have given some suggestions --- but what I'd suggest focusing on is your duration of time running.

So, what are your run interval lengths right now? Each week try to extend that time a bit and walk less (IDK, add 10 seconds to the run interval, etc.). Until you are running the whole time, then focus on continuing to extend your duration of time running. Some people might focus on mileage but I find my pace can vary wildly depending on my fuel throughout the week (have I eaten enough?), the temp/humidity, my hydration, etc.....So running 30 min solid might get you different mileage, but that is what will continue to increase your cardio/respiratory stamina/endurance. Which will then in turn increase your mileage level (I mean weekly mileage), which will ultimately increase your pace.

I'd say 6 days/week is too much...but I know my own body needs more actual rest and active rest than that. Throw some hikes/walks in there instead of a run. Make sure you're shoes are good (how many miles you got on them)?

Your 'max heartrate' is really more about how effortful you feel your run is. If you are sucking air and heart pounding, then yeah slow down or walk to get it down...but even if your heart rate is 'too high' according to that chart --- as long as you don't *feel like you are running hard, it should be fine.

Don't worry at all about your pace either. Getting the miles/duration in is more important.
  • Unstoppable_
    Options
    Thank you! I will give it a try for sure!
  • TicTacToo
    TicTacToo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @lmlifesaver My kids and I are up to Week 2 of the C25K... is it okay if I hang around this thread? We're training outdoors using the C25K podcasts from the British NHS website. We try to run 3 times/week.
  • Skyleen75
    Skyleen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors, 4 months in the Spring and 4 months in the Fall. So I have muscle memory but I have to work up to distance each time.
    I have done C25K, it was fun to do with friends but I found it difficult to work off of a clock rather than a distance.
    This is just my personal experience. I think I’m a “visual runner”.
    I prefer to run/walk from visual cues. It’s easier for me to run to the red mailbox followed by walking to the fire hydrant. Run to stop sign, walk to the yellow car.
    I naturally start running further and walking less.
    It just feels easier for me to see something getting closer. Waiting to hear a timed audio cue wasn’t relaxing or satisfying.
  • Unstoppable_
    Options
    TicTacToo wrote: »
    @lmlifesaver My kids and I are up to Week 2 of the C25K... is it okay if I hang around this thread? We're training outdoors using the C25K podcasts from the British NHS website. We try to run 3 times/week.

I loved the C25K! I never ran 30 minutes consecutively, but it sure helped me increase my stamina and gave me direction as to how to start!!
  • Unstoppable_
    Options
    Skyleen75 wrote: »
    I run outdoors, 4 months in the Spring and 4 months in the Fall. So I have muscle memory but I have to work up to distance each time.
    I have done C25K, it was fun to do with friends but I found it difficult to work off of a clock rather than a distance.
    This is just my personal experience. I think I’m a “visual runner”.
    I prefer to run/walk from visual cues. It’s easier for me to run to the red mailbox followed by walking to the fire hydrant. Run to stop sign, walk to the yellow car.
    I naturally start running further and walking less.
    It just feels easier for me to see something getting closer. Waiting to hear a timed audio cue wasn’t relaxing or satisfying.

I started with the C25K. I had no direction before that. It was a little stressful as I waited for the next cue, but I loved the structure with the app, but that's my preference. However, now that I have some direction after finishing the program, I love to run outdoors, and I too, use the visual goals. As a matter of fact, my daughter and I ran/walked a 5k. It was called 5k on the Runway. So we used the blue marker lights as our visual goals. 'We'll walk to that one, and run to the next' or 'We'll keep running to the next one instead of walking this one'. I also need music to run. It truly helps me. I just keep the volume low so I am very aware of all that's around me.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Just wanted to chime in on the mental aspect of running - especially if you are trying to extend your mileage/duration. Your brain/body will absolutely say to you -"OK, this is the end of the run. We've got the ______ miles in, now it's done" --- lol, remind your body that's not the case and you are going to do a little more each week. Don't go more than 10% of what you're currently doing but don't let your body/brain get complacent and think mile 2 (for example) is the finish line. =D Enjoy the runs!
  • Unstoppable_
    Options

Just wanted to chime in on the mental aspect of running - especially if you are trying to extend your mileage/duration. Your brain/body will absolutely say to you -"OK, this is the end of the run. We've got the ______ miles in, now it's done" --- lol, remind your body that's not the case and you are going to do a little more each week. Don't go more than 10% of what you're currently doing but don't let your body/brain get complacent and think mile 2 (for example) is the finish line. =D Enjoy the runs!

So incredibly true! I've really noticed how much of a mental game there is in running! Funny, I've seen runners talking to themselves and before I started running, I thought, "wow...poor guy/gal"... Now, I see how it happens. I have literally talked to myself and said, "you only think you're that tired...go just a little bit more"... It truly helps! Thank you so much!
  • Skyleen75
    Skyleen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    At times I literally say to myself out loud “I can do this. I know I can do this because I AM doing this” and I PUSH!!!
    Other days I do ____ miles and say “good enough” and that is ok too.