Is peanut butter good for losing body fat?

2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,406 Member
    HI am still at the stage of learning about my body.I think I will try to test my body for the next few months and figure out what is the right way for me to eat.

Absolutely, 100% this!!!!!
  • amberchen86
    amberchen86 Posts: 55 Member
    The first thing I have learned here is to eat 2000 to 2500 calories a day so I don't starve to death. The daily goal they gave me is way to low. I still lose some weight this week.
  • springlering62
    It’s good you recognized that and are fueling yourself!

I maintain at a weekly average of 3,000-3,200. But my daily can vary from 1,900-4,500, depending on what I’ve done and how I feel. If I feel shaky, wombly, or have turned my “move ring” a time or two more than usual, I feed myself.

Are you a long distance runner?
  • springlering62
    edited September 2022
    And by the way, if your surgery was that recent, honey, give yourself a break.

I split a bunch of stitches open following surgery because I thought I knew more than my doctor. I have extensive scarring to prove it, and the healing process was awful because the new stitches weren’t on “clean cuts”. They had to patch the raggedy *kitten* splits up. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Stupid stupid stupid hardheadedness.

Remember, too, you’ll have a LOT of water gain and bloating following surgery since your body kinda sort redirects water to injuries for healing, whether it’s sore muscles after a new workout or surgery healing.
  • amberchen86
    I might have to slow down a bit.I just couldn't sit around and do nothing. I have always been active.I do low impact cardio and walking now. I tried the fasting recently for 12 hrs only last for two days and end up eating lots before work out. I love what you do to your body.I think I will work on increasing activities after heal.I love eating lol
  • decadentrue
    decadentrue Posts: 5 Member
    It is higher in fat than protein, but I think it’s fine as long as you’re hitting your desired calorie goal and protein macro. Personally, I’m very careful with peanut butter because it’s so calorically dense. Peanut butter does taste really good 😫
  • amberchen86
    I will still eat peanut butter.I love it.Now I would not eat half jar all at once. I love the natural peanut butter not the Kraft one or Jif.One thing I want to mention I have lots energy to do cardio right after eating peanut butter. I jump up and down for a long time without feeling tired.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    @decadentrue : I think you used the wrong emoji: "Peanut butter does taste really good 🤤."

I eat nuts with oatmeal every morning. You can mix a measured amount of peanut butter in hot oatmeal with cool berries and Greek yogurt on top. Pretty tasty 🤤.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    if it works for you regarding mood/satiety then sure. in my case i prefer my protein/fats to come from other sources; i dont find peanut butter satiating at all
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    edited October 2022
    32 grams of plain peanut butter (just peanuts and salt), which is two tablespoons, has 180 calories and 8 grams of protein, which is 1/5 my protein minimum for the day and much less than 1/5 my calories for the day. So for me, it's a good protein source.

I often eat maybe 16 grams of peanut butter or less at a time, though, and have a collection of nut and seed butters for variety.

I also like to eat roasted peanuts in the shell or shelled. It's a legume and I treat it that way in my diet. So I will add it like other legumes to various other foods.

I don't eat a lot of bread with it because I need to limit wheat. Sometimes I just combine it with raw veg as a sandwich filling (try shredded carrots and chopped onion with it or really any crunchy veg like broccoli slaw) or instead of bread I might use a cabbage leaf or large leaf lettuce as the container. Peanut butter with just apple slices or carrots or celery is pretty classic. Other nut and seed butters and their blends work as well. I also like a large amount of greens with peanut butter etc. in a simple sandwich.

I don't care how it compares to meat or fish or dairy or egg because I don't eat those. I can guarantee that you can lose a lot of weight while still eating peanut butter, though. It all depends on what else you are eating. It's just food.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Peanuts are a legume. One ounce of peanuts = 7 gms of protein. One ounce of full fat yogurt = 8.5 gms of protein. One ounce of roast beef = 8 gms of protein.

Yes, but protein "efficiency" of food should be calculated in terms of protein per calorie, not protein per weight, at least for people who are trying to lose or maintain weight.

One ounce of peanuts = 7 grams of protein and 160 calories, or a little more than 20 calories per gram of protein.

100 grams (not ounce) of full-fat greek (strained) yogurt = 8.8 grams of protein and 95 calories, or a little more than 10 calories per gram of protein.

Roast beef -- well, that's a little vague, and is going to vary a lot depending on cut and how much fat is trimmed.

One ounce of top round roast, separable lean only = 6.5 g of protein and 120 calories, or a little more than 18 calories per gram of protein.