10 Pounds to Go, Any Advice?

Options
I have about 10 pounds to go until I reach a big goal of mine--a healthy BMI. Does anyone have any advice to really kick it into high gear to shed that poundage?

Replies

• navjhaj
    Options
    More intensive workouts--raise the heart rate! Work more on power and strength. Over a long period of time, the metabolism adjusts a bit, so your body becomes more efficient (does less work, burns less calories), so you have to ramp up the work rate in the gym.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose the slower your lose should be. I would suggest changing your goal to 1.0 lbs/week, and to increase the amount of strength training you do. once you get to your last 10-15 lbs change that goal to 0.5 lbs/week.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    10 lbs... the hardest and most difficult. typically takes around a month or more (few people can do it in less than that realistically) and typically involves VERY strenuous workouts coupled with VERY limited diets (you have to fuel your body for your workouts, so the starvation hooplah needs to exit stage-left) 5-6x a week.

Realistically 10 lbs would take roughly 8-10 weeks to lose if it's the last 10 lbs.

The question is... how bad do you want it? =)
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I'd like to know too I've got 8lbs of fat to lose to get within the 'fitness' range of the BMI.

@navjhaj: Thanks for that advice!

I mainly use the stat. bikes, elliptical, row machine --pretty much everything in the gym at intervals and with resistance. I also lift weights that after I do three sets of 15 I can't another.

I've starting running now - sprints, intervals and distance ( well so far up to 30 minutes at 8mph ) hoping this will 'shake' things up a bit.
    :smile:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    10 lbs... the hardest and most difficult. typically takes around a month or more (few people can do it in less than that realistically)

WHAT? I never lost 10 pounds in a month. I have been working on the last 10 pounds since June, lol. Unless you are obese, 10 pounds a month is downright unhealthy.

I agree with whomever above posted to slow down your weight loss. Have MFP set to lose 0.5 pounds/week. The last 10 comes off very slowly and also by creating a smaller deficit you are transitioning yourself to maintenance.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting and for the advice! I am struggling with the last 10 as well.
  • auticus
    Options
    10 lbs... the hardest and most difficult. typically takes around a month or more (few people can do it in less than that realistically)

WHAT? I never lost 10 pounds in a month. I have been working on the last 10 pounds since June, lol. Unless you are obese, 10 pounds a month is downright unhealthy.

I agree with whomever above posted to slow down your weight loss. Have MFP set to lose 0.5 pounds/week. The last 10 comes off very slowly and also by creating a smaller deficit you are transitioning yourself to maintenance.

I used to be a wrestler. 10 lbs in a month is status quo. Also per the United States Army fitness regulations, a loss of 3-10 lbs a month for overweight soldiers is acceptable and considered "healthy". (this was when I was enlisted and overweight, things may be different now but as of about ten years ago that's how it was)

So I guess we can agree to disagree.
  • stelid
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! Any specific tips for diet? I try to really boost protein, but calorie-wise should I still maintain a deficit, maintain a greater deficit, or eat more?
  • auticus
    Options
    You need to keep a defecit to continue to lose.

Your caloric intake should be proportional to your physical exercise. If you are ramping up your physical exercise it is important to eat a little more as well. And don't shy from carbs. That is the fuel you need to operate. (the proper carbs are also important)

I try to maintain a 40/40/20 split. 40% protein to 40% carbs to 20% fat.

On days where I am very active (I am a soccer player) and have a game, I will eat about 400 calories more than normal because I need that on the field.

On the days where I am just doing a 4-5 mile run I keep my calories at about 1750-1800 a day. On my rest day I stay at about 1600 calories.

On weekends (Sat & Sun) I boost up to 2500 calories but I run 4-5 miles each day. I find that this boost actually helps me lose and on Monday I have a little more energy than say Thursday where I am worn out. (Wednesday is game day so I typically do the most exercise then and thurs is my rest day)