Hello! New Here.

Options
Hello, I'm Zack and I'm new here. I'm 5'8" and approx 367 pounds.
I have started a new journey in my life after giving up alcohol after years of daily drinking to excess. I've been sober for 6 months and recently started to tackle my weight issue.
I have started by walking daily anywhere from 1-5 miles on top of my daily movements. Last week I started prepping my meals and only today decided to start tracking calories.
I'm really surprised by how many calories I am allowed daily and then add in the extra calories I can consume due to exercise, it seems like A LOT!
At this moment, I feel like I have eaten a ton today but MFP says I can still consume 3,100 calories. Should I actually try to consume most of my daily remaining calories?
I have got a gym membership and plan to start going next week. Excersing more will add even more for me to consume overall and I worry my food budget won't allow me to keep up.
Any advise is greatly appreciated and I look forward to connecting with all of you.
Be kind to each other and live well.

Replies

• LetsGoGhouls
    LetsGoGhouls Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your sobriety! A hard thing to do. Sounds like you’re off to a great start with the app! I’m not sure about the calorie intake so hopefully someone will be able to offer some guidance.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have the same, I struggle to eat the high numbers the app sometimes suggests! I don't worry about it, if your comfortably full I'd leave some in reserve.
  • HollyJoy07
    HollyJoy07 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome job staying sober!! Enjoy the gym membership and give yourself time to work up to things. We didn't get here overnight and it takes time to let the fat go and gain muscle. Glad you are here!

As for calories - it's also about the nutritional breakdown - protein, healthy fats, veggies.... I don't eat if I'm not hungry, but I'm starting to learn to make sure I really do get enough protein and some healthy fat at each meal. With tracking my food in MFP I am starting to see when I don't eat enough protein regularly I get too hungry at night.
  • Journeyjim
    Journeyjim Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Keep up the nice efforts
  • wendybegley32
    wendybegley32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Might want to check the calories again. That might be the calories you consume to maintain your weight. I'm 5' 10" and 450 lbs and they said my calories where 2600 to lose 2 lbs a week. I went in and customized it to say 2200 calories because I thought 2600 calories was excessive. I find it hard to eat 2200 calories if I'm eating the right foods it's a lot.
  • MelBull2022
    MelBull2022 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Along what everyone else here said, your calories to consume will go down as you lose weight as well and you do not have to eat your calories you have earned back from exercise. They are there encase you need them. Definitely do as suggested above and ceck your macros to make sure your getting the right balance of protein/fat/carbs. Check your settings just to make sure your set to weight loss and not maintain or weight gain.
    Huge congratulations on your sobriety that is a huge accomplishment 👏