Is Carb Cycling the way to go?

Options
Hey all. Long time free user and just pulled the trigger on a Pro membership.

I’ve hired a PT and he’s got me on a carb cycling routine. I’m a 46 yr old generally healthy man looking to gain more strength and lose about 20 lbs.

What are your thoughts on carb cycling combined with strength training?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    What are your thoughts on carb cycling combined with strength training?

For most people it's an irrelevance and an unnecessary complication. (if someone is following a very low carb diet benefits may be greater compared to someone following a "normal" diet.)

You have far bigger carb stores compared to the relatively small calorie burn from strength training and even a hard workout isn't going to deplete muscle glycogen significantly.

Although this article is mainly about fasted training there's a couple of very relevant paragraphs about carb usage during strength training and studies linked.
    https://biolayne.com/articles/nutrition/training-fasted-can-you-still-make-gains/

Main takeaway is that if it makes you feel better it might have some benefit in training better but that's more a feeling than a physiological need.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Good advice from sijomial, IMO, and the source he links is very well-regarded, science-based.

For myself, I prefer the simplest routine that can get me to my goals. Therefore, for me, there was no explicit carb cycling, even though I'm pretty active athletically. I strive to get good overall nutrition on average, hit my calorie goal, and that seems to work fine: I lost 50-some pounds a few years back, have stayed at a healthy weight the same way since, no obvious degradation in exercise performance or body composition from any of that.

I do use the MFP standard method of having a base calorie goal, then logging exercise and eating those calories on the days I work out (i.e., most days 😉). That works extremely well for me, because my main exercises are seasonal and weather dependent so variable . . . but it also does implicitly cause some nutrient cycling, because there are more calories on days with more workout activity. It isn't as structured as carb cycling, though.

Best wishes!