overweight fitness instructors

Options
13»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Miasumi wrote: »
    I absolutely agree. Im really turned off by fitness instructors who are obviously overweight and out of shape no matter what they can do. Im a former belly dancer and know for a fact that those moves (if you’re going to present yourself to an audience) DONOT look stage worthy and the moves are hidden under layers of fat. Must be in good shape and supple otherwise dont put yourself on stage. Everyone should dance but not everyone should be putting themselves out there as an example of expertise or as a teacher.

This thread is 10 years old. How did you even find it?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread back from the dead......
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,552 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread back from the dead......

I love when these old ones come back. :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    And like so many threads this old, there are factually wrong things in it, and high levels of bad advice.

I mean: A lot of fitness instructors end up ". . . being kind of soft because of the extreme cardio"? Or
    "eating less than your BMR will help keep you from ever reaching and maintaining your goal"?

. . . to cite just a couple.

SMH.
  • amberchen86
    amberchen86 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had a Zumba instructor few years back,I think she had 50lbs more than she should have. I was expecting a slim one but she sure move fast in the dance.She was a good instructor. Sometimes big people can be very fit. I only did zumba 3 times.I wouldn't mind to join that for fun again.
  • amberchen86
    Options
    I agree with you.I have always been on the little chubby side.I am a big one according to my mom.Being fit is healthier than skinny fat.Look is not the way to judge how good at teaching class.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Generally speaking, have you spent much time in a hospital. You can't judge or measure someone's abilities based on the scale. Just like a carpenter who may neglect his house, hair stylist with no time for their hair, brain surgeon who's overweight...don't judge by appearances. How far did they go in school?

We don't have a choice to undo the damage when someone judges us, repeatedly...over and over. On the internet or behind our backs. Ask me how I know.

Stop and ask yourself. Before you judge. How would you like your name and reputation turned into dirt based on appearances or anything else.
  • Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Maybe it’s because I’m a ski instructor but I’d avoid just about any instructor who can’t model something they’re teaching when there’s one who can. So I don’t care if a spin instructor is overweight if they can demonstrate the spinning I’d like to do. If it’s weight loss instruction then I’d want them to be able to model that, etc.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,506 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If we're talking very overweight, it would lead me to wonder if they've lost the passion for the fitness job they're teaching. Of course there are exceptions, and there may be valid reasons for their condition, but as the saying goes, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    Arc2Arc wrote: »
    Maybe it’s because I’m a ski instructor but I’d avoid just about any instructor who can’t model something they’re teaching when there’s one who can. So I don’t care if a spin instructor is overweight if they can demonstrate the spinning I’d like to do. If it’s weight loss instruction then I’d want them to be able to model that, etc.

Here's a funny thing to me, since we're apparently reviving this zombie: In some ways, I was actually more effective when I was obese, IMO/IME, as an assisting instructor in our rowing club's learn to row class, particularly for getting/in and out of boats.

The boats are about 4" off the water, and the classic entry is to stand on the deck (tippy) in a specified spot, then squat (often one-legged squat) down to a seat that's at about 2-3 inches above the level of your foot's sole. Clearly, this is not going to work that way for most people who are overweight and/or not extremely flexible. There are alternate techniques I won't belabor, but one of my jobs in class was to demonstrate the alternates.

When I was obese, this was well received by class members. I would show them various ways, they would decide that if I could do it, they could; they'd give it a good shot, usually succeed. The first year I demoed this as a thin person, I was shocked. People's faces were clearly conveying disbelief, i.e., "yah, sure, maybe you can do that, but I'm unconvinced". I was not expecting that. Their own attempts seemed less confident, then, too.

Go figure.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I had a Zumba instructor who had a small, cute figure. She got pregnant, taught most of the way through the pregnancy. She came back when the baby was about 6 weeks old, overweight, out of shape, obviously tired, but was still the best leader. It took her a year or two to get her figure and the sparkle in her eyes back, but she never lost her ability to dance.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    And like so many threads this old, there are factually wrong things in it, and high levels of bad advice.

I mean: A lot of fitness instructors end up ". . . being kind of soft because of the extreme cardio"? Or
    "eating less than your BMR will help keep you from ever reaching and maintaining your goal"?

. . . to cite just a couple.

SMH.

I was thinking the same, reading through. It's so interesting to see how much bad information was passed around in 10 year old threads.
  • amberchen86
    Options
    No body should be here to impress anyone.We are here to get fit.People judge people is just normal in this world.Other people's judgements is like kind of feed back to me.I might feel bad.My mom judges me being big so I decided to do something to improve myself Otherwise I will be still eating lots of icecream.I don't believe anyone never judge other ppl before.Sometime people should look at themselves,are you perfect?who cares who said what.We are here to exchange our knowledge and not judging who said what.People should focus on what they are here for.Does it hurt you when ppl tell you fat or skinny? Only the people don't want to face the truth would said plz lie to me.