Trying to give up ultra-processed food

Options
Hi all! I've had a bit of a damascene conversion re UPFs since listening to a particular podcast and starting to read around Tim Spector. I binge eat UPFs all the time, I can never just have a little - think multipacks of crisps, whole bags of donuts, family size chocolate bars etc. So I know if i can get them out of my diet it will have a radical effect on my weight. If...

Around mid-morning I start absolutely CRAVING it. My mind will keep revolving back to whatever crap snack I am currently obsessed with, like a mouse in a maze, my concentration and focus is shot to hell because of this. The only way to stop myself cracking when I'm at work is to leave my purse at home, which isn't always possible if I have household shopping to do or am going out somewhere straight from work etc. I'm usually fine at home because I'm with my family - it's secret shopping, secret eating, all incredibly unhealthy behaviour.

Does anyone know what I can do to defeat the onset of the craving? I feel like if I can just stay 'on the wagon' for a few weeks it will reduce... but in the meantime it's driving me crackers.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    I feel like if I can just stay 'on the wagon' for a few weeks it will reduce... but in the meantime it's driving me crackers.

Unfortunately the only way out is through. It is tough at first, for sure. It's just a thought, thoughts can be (bad) habits but they need YOU to follow through with picking up that treat. Don't cooperate.

One day at a time, ya know? When the craving starts, have a list of Alternate Behaviors - i.e.,

Take a walk
    Clean up a file system
    Do 50 jumping jacks
    Change your environment (go to another room, etc.)
    Pick up something else (hobby, etc. Keeping the Hands busy is key)

It is all about habitual thoughts. Starve them out, replace, distract, overcome.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I was you, right down to the secret shopping. Oh, the bags and bags (pallet loads) of candy, chips, chocolate bars, bakery foods, doughnuts, entemanns, little Debbies my husband had no clue about.

The day I just “had enough”, I went through fridge freezer and pantry and gave away anything I perceived as “not healthy”. It was a start.

I purchased things I thought I’d enjoy as replacements. I developed a smoothie that tasted like a Wendy’s Frosty and had it for breakfast every morning for a year, and often as a mid afternoon snack, too.

All I can tell you is, if you’re strong and make changes, the cravings will withdraw. As they do, other foods will actually begin tasting better and taste/feel more satisfying.

Whereas before my mid afternoon pickmeup was a family sized bag of M&Ms and two or three Cokes, now my afternoon snack is cottage cheese with frozen blueberries and cherries, strawberry balsamic, and a couple teaspoons of grape nuts on top. I would never go back to the M&Ms now, and bonk myself on the head for ever thinking they tasted better.

Even better, last time I had M&Ms (bunco, several months ago) I got violently ill afterwards. Maybe it was psychosomatic, maybe my body could no longer handle them for real, but I was sincerely grateful for the quick and physical reminder, and especially for the subsequent GERD all night.

Your tastes will change, your body’s ability to even handle them will change.

Start with small changes. “Junk food” out of the house (there’s time later to rethink what “junk” is and add small treats back). Maybe I should say “trigger foods”.

Give thought to what you can replace it with that’s still enjoyable. (Celery sticks for snacks? Um…..nope. Radishes, yeah!!!! “Enjoyable” varies from person to person.)

Change cokes for diet soft drinks, I’ve learnt to drink coffee with a little foamed skim milk, sugar free chai lattes, use half the butter or Mayo, use more spices than sauce in your bbq. Small changes add up and can divert the tide.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Log and weigh your foods. Refer back to your logs. What food satiated you for longer?

Everyone has a macro they find more satiating. Carbs? Fats?

For many of us, it’s protein. I make sure I eat high protein- lots of chicken, low cal pork and beef cuts, deli wraps, cottage cheese, jerky, and so on.

I also can’t deal with fasting. I pre-plan my meals and snacks in advance. I eat moderate protein breakfast around 6:30, and at noon have a high protein lunch, followed by at least three high protein snacks, and a high protein dinner. Dessert is usually a protein packed homemade ice cream- or not. Tonight’s will be a 100% pineapple sorbet with a squirt of whipped cream and maraschino cherries for fun. Husband adores rainbow sprinkles on his🥰.

Experiment and THINK about what’s going into your mouth. As you get more familiar with logging, your choices will improve as you weigh this versus that choice.

It’ll happen almost organically.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Log and weigh your foods. Refer back to your logs. What food satiated you for longer?

Everyone has a macro they find more satiating. Carbs? Fats?

For many of us, it’s protein. I make sure I eat high protein- lots of chicken, low cal pork and beef cuts, deli wraps, cottage cheese, jerky, and so on.

I also can’t deal with fasting. I pre-plan my meals and snacks in advance. I eat moderate protein breakfast around 6:30, and at noon have a high protein lunch, followed by at least three high protein snacks, and a high protein dinner.
    Dessert is usually a protein packed homemade ice cream- or not. Tonight’s will be a 100% pineapple sorbet with a squirt of whipped cream and maraschino cherries for fun. Husband adores rainbow sprinkles on his🥰.

Experiment and THINK about what’s going into your mouth. As you get more familiar with logging, your choices will improve as you weigh this versus that choice.

It’ll happen almost organically.

Yes, upping protein (and fruit) really cut down on my munchies. Otherwise, I can eat and eat and eat the "problem" food mentioned in this thread and never feel full.

Regular exercise is a big help as well.

• kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's easy enough to stay "keep them out of the house," but harder to do. Never go to the store without a list. I only allow myself 1 item not on the list, unless it's something I truly need that I forgot to write down (for example, an ingredient in a recipe I already planned to make). The other thing I try to do is only go to the store after I eat a meal. Avoid walking down the chips and the candy aisle if you can. Also think long and hard about what flavor you're actually craving. Sweet? I tend to go for watermelon. Salty? Beef jerky, popcorn, etc. These worked for me, but obviously, you'll need to find what works uniquely for you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    It's easy enough to stay "keep them out of the house," but harder to do. Never go to the store without a list. I only allow myself 1 item not on the list, unless it's something I truly need that I forgot to write down (for example, an ingredient in a recipe I already planned to make). The other thing I try to do is only go to the store after I eat a meal. Avoid walking down the chips and the candy aisle if you can. Also think long and hard about what flavor you're actually craving. Sweet? I tend to go for watermelon. Salty? Beef jerky, popcorn, etc. These worked for me, but obviously, you'll need to find what works uniquely for you.

What worked even better for me was ordering groceries on line and picking up outside the store. No impulse buying that way!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MerinneW wrote: »
    Hi all! I've had a bit of a damascene conversion re UPFs since listening to a particular podcast and starting to read around Tim Spector. I binge eat UPFs all the time, I can never just have a little - think multipacks of crisps, whole bags of donuts, family size chocolate bars etc. So I know if i can get them out of my diet it will have a radical effect on my weight. If...

Around mid-morning I start absolutely CRAVING it. My mind will keep revolving back to whatever crap snack I am currently obsessed with, like a mouse in a maze, my concentration and focus is shot to hell because of this. The only way to stop myself cracking when I'm at work is to leave my purse at home, which isn't always possible if I have household shopping to do or am going out somewhere straight from work etc. I'm usually fine at home because I'm with my family - it's secret shopping, secret eating, all incredibly unhealthy behaviour.

Does anyone know what I can do to defeat the onset of the craving? I feel like if I can just stay 'on the wagon' for a few weeks it will reduce... but in the meantime it's driving me crackers.

I did this. I would leave my purse in the trunk of my car if I absolutely had to bring it with me. The act of having to go out to the car and open the trunk was enough to stop me from buying the snacks. It's also good for keeping me out of the drive-through on the way home!
  • springlering62
    Options

What worked even better for me was ordering groceries on line and picking up outside the store. No impulse buying that way!!!

Interesting. I have the opposite experience. I’m very suggestible to suggested foods online. Or “deals”. Like @kenziestabes if I don’t go on the aisle, it’s outta sight outta mind. I find sticking to a list to be very powerful.

But if some internet ad maven puts a big flashing or sale ad in front of my nose, I’m conditioned to check it out, even if just subliminally.

Online shopping is kinda like “rabbit hole” shopping, whereas if I use a very specific list in my hand and visualize exactly where I need to go, the other products seldom even register on my brain.

Plus, if something should catch my eye, I can pick it up and study the nutrition panel on the package. It’s too easy to let that slide “just this time” with an online purchase. Kind of like they say it’s emotionally harder to spend cash than charge something?

Plus, you can actually get some decent steps in the grocery store. 😇

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

Interesting. I have the opposite experience. I’m very suggestible to suggested foods online. Or “deals”. Like @kenziestabes if I don’t go on the aisle, it’s outta sight outta mind. I find sticking to a list to be very powerful.

But if some internet ad maven puts a big flashing or sale ad in front of my nose, I’m conditioned to check it out, even if just subliminally.

Online shopping is kinda like “rabbit hole” shopping, whereas if I use a very specific list in my hand and visualize exactly where I need to go, the other products seldom even register on my brain.

Plus, if something should catch my eye, I can pick it up and study the nutrition panel on the package. It’s too easy to let that slide “just this time” with an online purchase. Kind of like they say it’s emotionally harder to spend cash than charge something?

Plus, you can actually get some decent steps in the grocery store. 😇

That sounds terrifying! I hate in-store shopping because I don't know where anything is. I have to go up and down every aisle to try to find one stupid thing or another and then temptation abounds.... By the time I get even half my list I'm irritated and stabby and then still have to be pleasant to the cashier and the bagger and the cops at the door! I actually don't get many ads on my online portal, I mostly just type in what I want and click the box with the right picture. I shop for one, so "deals" usually aren't too lucrative whether I'm in or out of the store itself. Curbside just makes it so much easier and less likely to land me in jail :D
  • springlering62
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Have you considered shopping at a smaller store, like a Lidl or an Aldi? Smaller selection, great quality, easier to navigate, less distraction (other than Aldi’s Aisle of Shame and Lidl’s rotating international selection). Right now it’s Greek.

A much more soothing and enjoyable shopping experience than Kroger (an absolute maddening cacophony of jumbled choice) and Walmart (just a maddening cacophony, period).
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Have you considered shopping at a smaller store, like a Lidl or an Aldi? Smaller selection, great quality, easier to navigate, less distraction (other than Aldi’s Aisle of Shame and Lidl’s rotating international selection). Right now it’s Greek.

A much more soothing and enjoyable shopping experience than Kroger (an absolute maddening cacophony of jumbled choice) and Walmart (just a maddening cacophony, period).

From what I've heard, an Aldi would be great. The closest thing to a smaller store would be Trader Joe's. It's worse than any of the bigger stores.....it's usually a 5-10 minute wait just to get in the parking lot and start circling for a spot. At least at the times I'm able to run errands. Luckily, I just don't cook very much, so I really only need to hit the grocery one, maybe two times a month unless I get invited to a potluck or something. From your posts @springlering62, I'm pretty sure you cook/prepare more at home before lunch than I do in a whole week!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    That's a tough ask for most people. Antidotally people that have changed their eating habits to reflect a healthier lifestyle which would include more whole foods as in a WFPB or WFLC for example tend to be able control the intake of UPF's fairly easily or easier. If it's not about overall lifestyle improvement and just weight loss then not so easy and of course being in a constant state of deprivation will never win over and why dieting for weight loss is for the most part a big failure.

Other information for people that may be interested.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3124340/Reward, dopamine and the control of food intake: implications for obesity