Healthy Fats?

Options
So, I'm confused about the fat goals set for me by MFP.

28 g of saturated fat but 0 each of mono- and polyunsaturated?

This seems completely backwards to me.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Mainstream national nutrition bodies don't typically make a specific recommendation for mono or poly, so MFP doesn't just invent some value. In your goals, you can set them to whatever you'd like.

Even for things that do have values set, some are better thought of as minimums, others as limits.
  • Tashsme
    Tashsme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Mainstream national nutrition bodies don't typically make a specific recommendation for mono or poly, so MFP doesn't just invent some value. In your goals, you can set them to whatever you'd like.

Even for things that do have values set, some are better thought of as minimums, others as limits.

Thank you. I'm not an all or nothing thinker, but that one just threw me. Makes sense the way you put it though. No need for an arbitrary number.

I do have fun seeing the nutrients and macros and have been feeling really good about how they are stacking up, but that one had me 🤔 Thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Tashsme wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thank you. I'm not an all or nothing thinker, but that one just threw me. Makes sense the way you put it though. No need for an arbitrary number.

I do have fun seeing the nutrients and macros and have been feeling really good about how they are stacking up, but that one had me 🤔 Thank you!

I'm anemic and can testify that you should not trust iron values and have heard similar about potassium, etc.

I've noticed that many USER-created food entries have incorrect or missing iron counts. For example, manufacturers may list iron in grams, but MFP uses percents, and I have seen when people create an entry and do bother to fill in iron, they use the gram value rather than the %, resulting in a much lower number. Often people do not bother to fill in micros at all.

I've never noticed a problem with micros on ADMIN-created entries, so try to use these as much as possible.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • erprincipexoxo
    erprincipexoxo Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Mono- and poly- unsaturated fats are GOOD. You can find them in nuts, chia seeds, and plant butter. However, your overall saturated fat(s) consumption should be low, yes.