Ready to live

Hi there! I’m Suzanne, and I’ve tried every way to lose weight. I’ve struggled since I was a teen. I’ve always had a poor body image and even when I was “normal”, I didn’t feel good about myself. Here I am, 54 years old and needing to lose 90 lbs. Maybe an even 100. I weight 255 and feel awful, aches and pains, arthritis and always exhausted. I don’t want this to be my life. My dad suggested that I just count calories, as he lost weight in his 40’s and kept it off his entire adult life that way. Everyone in our family made fun of him all those years but then again they are all fat! Time for me to embrace my dad’s way of life- there is no easy way!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,018 Member
    Hello, @therealsuzanne, and welcome to MFP!

I joined MFP when a few years older than you are now (59), and I'd been overweight to class 1 obese for around 30 years at least, and had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and quite routine discomfort/pain from osteoarthritis and a torn meniscus. Now, age 66, still maintaining a healthy weight after that loss at 59-60, my quality of life is greatly improved, and my BP/lipids are all solidly in the normal range. It can work, for sure.

I'd quibble a little with the "no easy way": It absolutely wasn't psychologically easy every single second, but I was honestly surprised at how simple the basics were for losing weight by calorie counting. There's a learning curve, so it can seem time-consuming or confusing at first, but now it's a rare day if I spend more than 10 minutes on things related to logging food/activity, and there's a huge quality of life payoff for that small time investment. It made me wish I'd lost weight decades earlier, to be honest.

You can do this - I'm cheering from the sidelines. And, if your experience is like mine, you'll start seeing benefits along the way as your weight goes down and activity can increase . . . it isn't necessary to wait until goal weight, to see benefits.

Wishing you success - it's worth it!