30 day shred vs P90X

Options
Two years ago I tried P90X with my boyfriend, though it was a great workout It was tough for me to do it every day for the entire hour. Since I still have it I am debating on trying it again, but I have seen that many people on here use Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred. I was just wondering which you prefer and why? (I'm not looking to drop a ton of weight, maybe 10 lbs and tone up)

Replies

• Delyla07
    Delyla07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump, I'm also wondering the same!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I've never tried p90x, but in your case, I would definately suggest the 30 Day Shred! Level 1 is about 27 minutes long and it's awesome for toning!!
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred has three intensity levels and incorporates cardio with strength and ab workouts. The total time for each workout is only about 30 minutes so it is easily doable for most of us that are short on time. It is fairly fast paced, but work at your own pace if you need to. Certainly don't stress it if you find it difficult to keep up. So long as you are doing it that is what counts. I loved it and as soon as I finish my Biggest Loser workout Cardio Max Weight Loss I may go back and do it again.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of P90X, and have done 30 day shred. P90X is a so much better program. It gives you variety so that you're working different muscle groups with cardio days & stretching & yoga days. Everything you need. I really get bored with 30 Day Shred.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level you may need the 30D shred to prep for P90x. P90x is much more extreme (even if you just do 30min of each workout). If time is an issue and you don’t mind the repetitiveness of the 30D shred, then I would vote for Jillian. If you need variety to stay motivated and have a little extra time then do the P90x. Just remember to do it at your own pace. I personally like both and change things up….but I am little ADHD:bigsmile:
  • tangal88
    Options
    Done both,

-for me the Shred is a great prep for P90X - but not the same level of final results.

I get much better results with P90X in 30 days, then doing 30 days of shred. I use heavy weights with both. But the workout time IS double on P90x, so it should be different.

I also found the Shred very boring after a while, and am not a fan of Jullian. With P90x there is more variety - which really works best for me. If I get bored, I stop trying so hard.

BUT - I think the Shred can be great for many people, and terrific if you really need a shorter workout style, and like her training style. I just sent my Shred DVD to my sister, actually. :)

P90X can be done, if you have the time. Just know there are many modifications you can make, and it DOES get easier. Just go at YOUR level, YOUR pace.

But it also comes down to the style that works best for YOUR needs. Not all of us like/need/want the same type of program
  • roballesteros
    Options
    I did 30DS in May and really enjoyed it! I got great results (as far as toning and losing inches, 9 inches all together) I did not drop a lot of weight but I am/was pretty close to goal (whatever that is ;-) ) I am currently working on P90X Lean version, I have to say even though I like to work out I am getting from P90X, it is a time consuming workout.
    30DS is a more compact workout and the intensity in the two workouts is comparable. So if time is a factor, then I would go with 30DS. Good Luck!
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I prefer 30DS. I takes considerably less time, which is an issue for me. I like how 30DS is time effective but still challenging. P90X honestly did not seem as hard to me, just excruciatingly long.
  • tonialeem
    Options
    I've done both and honestly prefer the 30DS.....I've tracked with a HRM and it kills about 200-250 for the qwork out which with warm up and cool down is only 30 minutes. the program is 10 days/level which is a little daunting doing the same work out for 10 days straight but I toss in a good run 3 times a week with it to change it up a little
  • tonialeem
    Options
    there's also a ripped in 30 days if you want something different once you're done the 30DS
  • theresagal329
    Options
    I have not done the 30 day shred but I am currently doing P90... It is 30-40 mins at the most and I think it works good... I have also tried P90X and it is just way to long for me to do every day... I am on day 24 and have lost 4.2 lbs... I do not follow any diet plan I just try and eat better... I also do not forbid any food I eat what I want (even if it is just a bit or two)
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    If you want something similar to the p90x style but just don't have the time for the hr long workouts, then look up supreme 90. Its CHEAP and is the same premise of p90x just shorter workouts and did I say CHEAP. I just ordered mine and based on the reviews I'm excited!

edited to say: ditto 30DS can become boring, u r repeating the same workout for 10 days straight
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have done the 30DS twice and I have to say I really like it!! I think it’s a good way to get you in the habit of working out every day, and for me it helped me drop both pounds and inches. I also wanted to tell you about another program called Supreme 90 Day. I haven’t started it yet, but I just ordered it the other day. From the reviews I read, I hear it is a really good workout similar to P90X, but not at all the same as it. The reason it appealed to me was that it is only like $20 on amazon, and also I hear the workouts are shorter than P90X ones, but people say that it is still very effective. Maybe look it up on amazon or search for it thru the forums on MFP and see, maybe it might be better for you because they aren’t as long as P90X. Good luck with whichever program you choose :)
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have done both, and I prefer 30DS for the time reasons you mentioned-- it is very difficult to fit in a workout that is an hour+ on a daily basis. I was able to do it as an undergrad when I only worked part-time, but now that I'm a full-time grad student and also work full-time, P90X is just not feasable.

30DS is a challenging workout, not as challenging as P90X, but it will do the trick for someone with time restrictions like me.

Also, it's a LOT more affordable!! Let's not forget that important factor...!!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've done both...absolutely NO RESULTS from 30 days shred. Plus the program is weak IMO. I really wanted to love this workout, but Jillian has you working the same muscles everyday...this is so wrong. You have no time to repair and build your muscles Results come in the recovery.
    P90X is far superior!!! I lost inches and 9 lbs in 3 weeks. I lost 19 lbs and 10% bodyfat in 3 months (that was through the Holidays with indulgences) I have since lost 40 lbs( 6 inches off my waist and hips) and now am at about 16% bodyfat. (this took about 6 months)

I started at a size 8-10 jeans and now wear between a 0-2.

IMO I would waste my time with 30DS.(I gave mine away) P90X is incredible and a very well rounded,safe program.

(FYI,I was following basically the same diet with both programs)

If you want a shorter workout may I suggest looking into P90, that will get you ready for P90X.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third round of P90X and I love it. I love the weights and I love the variety. This round I'm actually doing a P90X/TurboFire hybrid because I wanted different cardio, but I'm keeping the weights. I got 30DS from the library and watched about 10 minutes of it before I realized there would be no way I could stand working out with Jillian Michaels. No offense to the thousands that like her, she's just not my style. So for me that answered my question, keep the one I like and don't bother with the other no matter how great the workout is. If I won't stick to it why start it? :)
  • PammyKY
    PammyKY Posts: 129
    Options
    I am doing the 30 day shred with a group of 23 and I enjoy it. I like the fact that it takes no more then 30 days to finish. My time is limited and I do not have time to spend more then 30 minutes working out. If I find some free time during the day after completeting the 30 day shred then I can just work another one in. It's also great for those who are new to working out. Believe me I feel it at the end of my workout. I did not think 30 minutes can make me sweat and sore but Jillian does that. I have not gotten bored yet. Another good thing is that the workout changes every 10 days. You do level 1 for 10 days then move to level 2 and after doing that for 10 days move to level 3.
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Jillian M. 30 Day Shred is great, but won't get the same results as P90x. They just have different intensity levels and time frame. P90x is 90 days, and 30 Day Shred is 30. No matter what exercise you, you'll get better results the longer you do it and the most time spent. 30 day is great for beginners and maybe a great starter before you hit P90x. That's what I did first, and then I completed p90x.