Can you help me with my spinach??

Options

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I made this last week. Divided up the portions and froze a couple. They freeze/defrost/reheat very well.
    Spinach Feta Quiche
    Makes: 6 servings

Nutrition (per serve): 140 calories, with 5.5 grams of fat, 10 grams of protein and 13.5 grams of carbs

What you’ll need:

* 1 medium onion, diced
    * 180 grams fresh baby spinach
    * 2 large eggs
    * Half a cup of flour
    * 1/2 tsp baking powder
    * One and 1/3 cups of non-fat milk
    * Half a cup of feta cheese
    * 1/4 tsp salt
    * 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a small baking dish.
    2. Cook the diced onion in a frying pan on medium heat until soft and translucent. Add in the spinach and cook until it shrinks. Set both aside to cool for a few minutes.
    3. Mix together the eggs, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the milk, then stir in the spinach and onion mixture.
    4. Pour into the prepared baking dish and top with feta cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the outside edge is golden brown and the centre is set.
    5. Let cool for five minutes, then slice into six equal pieces and serve!
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try great northern beans (drain and rinse if canned), a bit of low sodium chicken broth, some chopped onion and throw in a couple of handfuls of spinach to wilt. A little thyme and garlic salt, mmm. For extra protein add some tuna. Very satisfying as a cool weather "comfort food".
  • laurad1406
    Options
    this all sounds so good! i'm the same as a lot of others, spinach in my omelettes, salads, stuffed into chicken, i also LOVE garlic in a little olive oil with tons of cherry tomatoes, zucchini and a few handfuls of spinach served over a little bit of pasta. If you have the calories it's delish with just a few goat cheese crumbles in there too :smile:
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I dry fry about an inch cube of chorizo (chopped) to release it's oil, add a few cherry tomatoes until they soften and the skins start to split, add a chopped clove of garlic and stir briefly before adding the spinach and keep tossing it together until it's wilted. LOTS of fresh ground black pepper and hey presto! If you can afford a few extra calories add some pine nuts at the garlic stage, yummy!

:flowerforyou:

I do this and add to penne pasta or spaghetti squash. A bit of parmesan finishes it off nicely.

Or saute in olive oil with garlic and top with a poached egg, sprinkle some bacon or pancetta on top and some pepper. Delish!

Try Arugula too, it tastes like spinach but a little more peppery.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Fresh spinach (about 2 cups), your favorite flavor of Laughing Cow wedges (4), jasmine rice (or brown rice if you prefer) (about 1 serving cooked) - garlic to taste (mine is very heavy) - mix all together.

Flatten 4 chicken breast halves (boneless,skinless) (about 1 pound) - (or just use the thin sliced chicken breast) and spread the above mixture on one side of each and roll up.

Bake in 350° oven for about 20-30 minutes... I sprinkle with SeasonAll before I put them in the oven too... It might be good to use Paprika because the SeasonAll added a lot of salt flavor (I don't remember how much sodium count).
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Wilt your spinach with evoo, sliced garlic, halved cherry tomatoes,and pack some breadcrumbs on a medallion of goat cheese, heat both sided in frying pan then put on top of your wilted spinach. Very Yummy
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    yummy bump
  • DLMcCutchen79
    DLMcCutchen79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat baby spinach in place of lettuce on a salad, I add it to taco's, sandwiches, and wraps. My kids love it in quiche.

Quiche Recipe

One small container of egg beaters
    3 cups of baby spinach
    1 table spoon of minced garlic
    half a package of Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage crumbles
    1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (I use the fat free or the 2% reduced fat)
    can add salt and pepper to taste (I don't and my kids and husband love it)
    1 deep dish pie shell (or save yourself between 90 and 120 calories and skip the shell)

In a large skillet add your minced garlic, cook on high for about 30 to 45 seconds. Add Spinach, reduce heat to med.-low. Stir spinach in with minced garlic. Cook just until spinach leaves are wilted. Remove from heat, set aside.
    In a medium bowl add egg beaters, beat until bubbly with a wire wisk. Add turkey sausage crumbles and cheese. Stir well, add spinach and gently stir in. Add to pie shell. Cover with foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue cooking until egg is cooked and crust is golden brown. Depending on the brands you use this is roughly 185 calories per serving. You can add cream or half and half to the egg beaters for a more fluffy texture, but this also adds calories and fat that I like to avoid.

Baby spinach is also very good with grilled chicken breast, strawberries, and blueberries with a little raspberry walnut fat free dressing! Delicious lunch!!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :tongue: I use it to make spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breast...

I butterfly a chicken breast and bake in the oven until cooked....while that is cooking I saute some spinach...then stuff the chicken breast with the cooked spinach and a piece of sargento light string cheese...stick it back in the oven for 5 minutes until ooey! its yummy!!!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    Options
    THIS SOUNDS YUMMY!!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Spinach Raita - yum! Good on all sorts of things.

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2009/08/10/spinach-raita/

Sue's Spinach Cups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/azsuzi
    The recipe that I get the most questions about is the Vegetable Quiche Cups I eat most mornings. This is a quick and easy recipe.

10 oz package frozen chopped spinach
    3/4 cup egg white
    3/4 cup shredded low fat cheese
    1/4 cup diced onion
    1/4 cup diced green pepper

Let the spinach thaw and drain (I actually pick up the spinach and squeeze it out). Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and divide the mix evenly among the cups. Cook at 350 F for 20 - 30 minutes. Makes 12. Serving size: 2 quiches

Calories 69 (depending on the veggie/cheese combinations you use - see below)
    Fat 3 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg
    Sodium 195 mg
    Carbs 5 g
    Dietary fiber 1 g
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 8 g

You can switch up the veggies and cheeses in this recipe. I've made it with broccoli instead of spinach. Today, I had the spinach but was out of green peppers and yellow onions, so I used celery and red onion instead (same measures). I think I like this mix better! I like to use shredded pepper jack cheese even though I can't find it low fat. Try a few drops of hot-pepper sauce to add a kick. These freeze well - I make a batch and then freeze them for my breakfasts throughout the week. Heat for about a minute in the microwave, add an orange on the side and I'm good 'til lunch!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    Options
    SOUNDS AWESOME! THX :)
  • blondechic213
    Options
    I make a veggie dip out of it. I've had it on celery and carrots, but I'm sure it would go good with just about any veggie, or with chips for a low cal spinach dip snack.

Ingredients:

½ cup fresh spinach
    ½ cup plain non fat yogurt
    ¾ cup plain no fat cream cheese
    2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
    1 tsp. garlic powder

Directions:
    Rinse spinach well and sauté over medium heat.
    Rinse and pat dry.
    Combine all ingredients in food processor and mix well.
    Can be served hot or cold.
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    wilt it and put it in an omelet w/ mozzarella cheese and mushrooms
    saute it with some onions and a tilapia filet
    spinach lasagna rolls from skinnytaste.com
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's great in soup too. Sorry the quantities are vague, I just tend to chuck stuff in the pot then taste it

Bean and Tomato Soup - Serves 4-6

4 carrots - diced
    Veg stock
    Tin of mixed pulses (or make your own combo of beans)
    Tin of chopped tomatoes
    Bag of fresh spinach
    Red Pesto

1. Chop carrots and add to pot of hot veg stock, simmer for 5 mins
    2. Add beans and tomatoes and cook for further 10 minutes.
    3. Add spinach and season to taste
    4. Serve with a teaspoon of red pesto stirred into the bowl

You could garnish with a little parmesan but it's not necessary. Delicious and filling.
  • xMissAprilx
    xMissAprilx Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump! I was wanting some ideas as well, thanks for posting. :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Baked eggs florentine (serves 1 as a main meal, or 2 if you are having with salad & bread)

1. In an individual gratin dish/ ovenproof dish with sides- spray the bottom with evoo and line with 2-3 rashers of lean bacon, or turkey bacon or ham slices if you prefer. Do it so they overlap and the ends are just hanging outside the dish.

2. Sautee your spinach with garlic and black pepper and add to the bottom, on top of the bacon/ham.

3. Make a couple of wells in the spinach and crack in two whole eggs.

4. Spoon over a little seasoned creme fraiche and top with a sprinkling of grated cheese (any you like) or parmesan.

5. Tuck over the ham/bacon edges and bake in a hot oven 200c/400f for about 10-15 mins.

Serve in its dish on its own or with bread to dunk in!!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Cheesy spinach quinoa risotto:

1. Cook your quinoa with a little extra liquid so it has a wet risotto like consistancy. I add a veg stock cube to the cooking liquid to season.

2. sautee your (well chopped) spinach with a clove (or two) of chopped garlic, black pepper and some onion.

3. Spoon in some low fat cream cheese into the 'risotto' and stir through. Then add the spinach mixture.

4. Serve dusted with parmesan cheese.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Spanakopitta!

Lightly boil the spinach. Once it is wilted, mix with 100g crumbled feta, mint, spring onion and an egg. Wrap in filo pastry, and bake for around 20-25 minutes.

This serves about 3.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    My favorite use of spinach is blended up in a smoothie in the morning! Mmmm!

Blend together couple of handfuls of spinach with banana, cinnamon, milk, almond butter - anything really! I promise you cannot taste the spinach!! Yummo!!