What is your Cardio Routine?

Options
I hit the Peloton 3 times a week with a run or two mixed in (2-3 miles). Outdoor biking with some treadmill work as well.
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Just about to make a season-triggered switch, I'm guessing, but I'm still in summer routine: On-water rowing M-W-F-Sa for around a hour, usually 7 to 9k-ish; hybrid bike (not ebike!) on mostly paved trails Tu-Th for 20 to 30 miles each time. I do some other stuff randomly, but that's the core, weather permitting.

The Winter routine is usually lower volume, alternating around 6k rowing machine, 10k stationary bike (plus cool-down in both cases) 6 days a week, most of the time. I usually do some strength training in Winter, too, maybe some yoga/stretching, but you asked about cardio.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Vast majority of my cardio is road cycling, some mountain biking, some indoor bike training when weather forces me indoors or I want to do a performance test.
    Highly variable volume as you can see from my training calendar, tend to do a couple of century rides a year and one or two 100km rides a month.

ttvmgvx83e5t.png

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I keep it pretty simple anymore. I do 6 days a week of cardio. While the Concept2 rower is my primary choice, I've had to do other things lately (because of a trigger finger) to mix it up.

I do one hour a day except Saturdays. Four are easier cardio (around 60% to 70% max HR) -- steady state type of stuff. The other two are harder days where I typically mix up intervals. One day longer intervals or a longer session (usually on the rower), like 4 X 2K or a hard 5K or 10K. The other day is short sprint intervals (like 8 X 500m w/ one or two minute recovery). I do the harder sessions on my lifting days to keep the easy days easy.

On my off day, it's not uncommon for me to walk 5 or 6 miles. I'm trying to get back to doing 90 minute (easy) sessions -- like long, slow sessions -- on Sunday.

When it's strictly rowing, I average around 150K to 250K meters a month. But I'm fortunate to also have a treadmill, an Assault Bike, and a LateralX at home as well. If I had more room, I'd likely add in a SkiErg and an Endless Rope Machine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    3 days a week interval jog/run and 3 days of cardio kickboxing class instruction and walking on the weekends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Since my main focus is weights every second day, my cardio is just 30-40 mins on the stationary bike on the off-days (except after leg day).
  • TeamScorpioRI
    TeamScorpioRI Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been rotating between 3 things for cardio

Walking: 60 minutes, outside around my neighborhood. It works out to about 3.5 miles with various hills.
    Rowing: Newest obsession. Can only do about 20 minutes right now, but working my way up.
    Shadow Boxing: Using BeachBody's 10 Rounds workout to guide me. 35 mintues and a good workout.

I usually try to do at least 2 of the activities per day, along with some weights as well.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Monday : Rest. Usually just a long walk
    Tuesday: 30 minute run
    Wednesday: 30 minute run
    Thursday: 30 minute Elliptical
    Friday: 30 minute run
    Saturday: 30 minute run
    Sunday: 30 minutes swimming laps
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    I like running. I also do a longer walk during a weekend day if the weather is fine. Elsewhere I'd do trips with my racebike, but it's too hilly here and public transport to get somewhere to start with makes it super annoying. Thus not at the moment.
  • aCountryVegan
    aCountryVegan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Run and Run, I aim for about 100 miles a month, I usually run 5-6 days a week/ Then I do a strength and core routine once a week on different days. That is it, other than some plyometrics added to my mobility dynamic stretch routines I try to do daily.

One of the things I love about cardio is being able to eat most anything that I want. I eat very healthy, but on the average day I burn 2500-3000 calories a day and I eat back all but about 10-15% since I am just maintaining after my weight loss and that number works for me. I always tell folks, "If want to eat like you did when you were fat? Run 1 hour or more a day and load up the plate." LOL
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Aside from clearing a minimum of 8,000-10,000 steps a day I make sure to do 30mins hard cardio a week, usually treadmill/stationary bike/elliptical at the gym before hitting the weights.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on the time of year, where I am in a training cycle etc. but typically I'll run 4 days a week (Tue, Thu, Sat & Sun) with Sunday being my long run day, I do indoor rowing 2 or 3 weekly (Mon, Wed, Fri) and ride my bike (indoors on a trainer in winter or if the weather is foul) 2 or 3 times a week. As in-person racing is back (I run & do triathlons) I'll probably switch from rowing to swimming (my swim fitness has gone to pot with the pools being closed during the pandemic)
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    At least a 5k a day with about 7-10 miles walked cumulative daily.
  • LettyEds
    LettyEds Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    225 minutes of moderate steady state cardio a week. 45 minutes for 5 days a week. It’s been great for me! Yes, I do cardio even on strength training days. Keeping the body moving.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I run 5km a day. 3 days on 1 day off.