Does anybody's digital scale do this?

Options
2»

Replies

• mitaylors
    Options
    Mine is a WW scale too. I think the scale is designed to do this on purpose to discourage you from incessant weighing. I thwart mine by keeping a 5 lb weight by the scale and doing a little math as needed.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    A lot of digital scales hold the weight into memory, so if there isnt a significant weight change, like a full pound, it will display the same number. My scale does this, but it also said it would in the set-up directions it came with. My set-up directions said to do this, before you weigh, set one foot on it for a second or two, then remove it, wait for the little squares to finish rolling across the read out, then it should be re-calibrated.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I used to have a WW scale and had that same problem. If it wasn't stuck at one weight for over a week, it would jump up and down by a difference of up to 3 pounds if I stepped on it a few times in a row. Unfortunately, they just don't make good quality scales. :( I bought an Eat Smart scale on amazon and it works MUCH better.

mine does the same thing. I have to get on it a few times and see which weight pops up the most.

Mine does this also & I do the same. If I get 3 numbers the same I go with that but it can really annoy me.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nope, my scale works fine, it's a no-name version of a salter.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I put my 2 dumbells on it to reset it accurate! Has worked so far
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've had a WW digital scale for about 4 yrs now and it works just fine.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I have a WW scale, it will show the same weight repeated. I step on and off a few times until I get the same number 3 times in a row. The weight is accurate, once it actually changes! I know, what a hassle.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have the same scale and like someone mentioned previously, it holds a memory..unless you have a significant enough weight difference its going to show the same thing as last time. What I usually do is hold something that is a pound or two at least in my hand when I get on it the first time, and then weigh again without it the next, that always works for me. I never thought of just stepping on it with one leg the first time though, good idea! :-)
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with this problem, I have a digital scale and when i weigh myself multiple times in the morning it gives me different weights usually about 1-2lbs difference. so i just post the most common number that pops up.

Mine does this as well but can show a difference of even 5-6 pounds (always up, never down). I get on and off until I get the same number three times.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    A lot of digital scales hold the weight into memory, so if there isnt a significant weight change, like a full pound, it will display the same number. My scale does this, but it also said it would in the set-up directions it came with. My set-up directions said to do this, before you weigh, set one foot on it for a second or two, then remove it, wait for the little squares to finish rolling across the read out, then it should be re-calibrated.

Mine must hold the memory too as I've also noticed being EXACTLY the same weight for up to 12 days in a row before it suddenly drops by a pound. I'm going to try your re-set trick tomorrow to see what happens. Thanks for that!
  • davidleonardofleischer7720
    Options
    Yeah same here... it is pretty annoying. According to the suggestions, I’m going to try to overload it by pushing on to something so it resets
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I hear that if you lift it off the ground for a few seconds it will reset as well.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I "recalibrate" my scale by standing on it holding a 5lb weight, then standing on it again without the weight. My scale does the same thing, so I have to fool it to measure more accurately from one day to the next.
  • greenlivingguy
    greenlivingguy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Omg I thought it was me. I went to one place it's another weight. I go on to my scale. Same weight as before. Hmmmm
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Old thread. That said. Regardless of whether your scale is exhibiting false consistency (that's when a manufacturer programs a scale to "appear" to be accurate by consistently showing you the same weight regardless of what the scale is actually detecting until the weight changes by more than a pre-programmed value), you cannot compare your weight on two separate (non calibrated) scales and expect them to match. sadly most scales implement some form of fake consistency because people would complain even more if their readings were off by 0.1 and 0.2 every time they got on the scale.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My Withings scale has been awesome. I love that it automatically uploads to MFP. It has worked well for about 5 months now. I wish I had treated myself to a new scale earlier in the process!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My Withings scale has been awesome. I love that it automatically uploads to MFP. It has worked well for about 5 months now. I wish I had treated myself to a new scale earlier in the process!

I've been scale shopping, and decided on the Withings. I was reading reviews and came across this gem:

x7cuv245n15l.png
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

I've been scale shopping, and decided on the Withings. I was reading reviews and came across this gem:

x7cuv245n15l.png

Ha, ha! Hysterical! Poor Hannie. I hope they found MFP and success!