Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pumpkin Oatmeal

OatmealBowl
OatmealBowl Posts: 82 Member
Fall is here! And all the cans of pumpkin were gone! **shrieks**
So I used pumpkin pie puree, but I note that if you do have a can of pumpkin puree (unseasoned)
just add some pumpkin pie spice to this baby. Yum! :heart:

You can see all the pretty pics to this baby, here: http://www.oatmealinmybowl.com/2011/09/21/pumpkin-oatmeal/

Pumpkin Oatmeal fit for a Pumpkin King

Ingredients

1/2 can pumpkin pie puree *
1 cups water
1 cups unsweetened almond milk, or water
1 tablespoons raisins (golden or regular)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal (not the instant kind)
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Honey or maple sugar (optional)
Heavy cream (optional)

Instructions

In medium saucepan over high heat, combine the pumpkin puree, water, milk, raisins, and salt. Bring to a boil.
Add the oatmeal. Turn the heat down and cook according to your oatmeal instructions; mine usually takes about 5 minutes. Stir often.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, toast the pepitas until they're fragrant and a gentle golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Once the oatmeal is cooked (each grain should be tender), serve with honey or maple sugar on the side, pepitas to sprinkle on top, and cream.
*If you use a can of pumpkin puree, add 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice to mix.

Replies

• I have a version of this as well, I use old fashioned oats, a half can of pumpkin puree, cayenne pepper, salt, honey, and top with sliced almonds. I eyeball it...whatever I fell like that day. YUM!
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    yum!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    I give a lot of my foods that pumpkin taste with just the pumpkin pie spice---love that stuff in my shakes, cookies, etc.
  • murphymae2
    murphymae2 Posts: 16 Member
    Sounds and looks good!
  • cmath81
    cmath81 Posts: 8 Member
    looks like the best pumpkin oatmeal yet. . . . .can't wait to try! thanks for posting!
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    bump
  • MB_Boston
    MB_Boston Posts: 7 Member
    I truly can not wait to try this & can't believe I didn't think of it on my own. THANK YOU!
  • Are pumpkin seeds hard to find? I'd love to try this, so I will have to look for them!
  • OatmealBowl
    Oh, cayenne...that sounds like a yummy additive. :)

I left mine vegan without adding the cream and honey. I bet a bit of maple syrup would be good to it.

Thank you all for your great replies! I am using the left over pumpkin pie puree to make pumpkin muffins. Found a recipe, two ingredients, Spiced cake mix and pumpkin puree. Yum.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Not usually-- try Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or just your grocery store. Sometimes they are called pepitas.
  • OatmealBowl
    If you have a Fresh & Easy in your area...they are loaded with a variety of nuts, too! At a great price.
  • I had a recipe for something like this awhile ago, but it wasn't very good. Not sure what was different about it, but it was a bit lacking. This looks pretty good, though, so I'll give it a go.
  • I wonder if a Mexican grocery store or health food store would carry Pepitas??
  • Have you tried this as overnight oatmeal versus warm/cooked oatmeal?
  • OatmealBowl
    I have not tried this as an overnight oatmeal. But have thought about it. ;)
    Will let you the results if I do make it as an OO.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    bump
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    I will be making this for breakfast tomorrow
  • Effy826
    Effy826 Posts: 33 Member
    bump
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    bump!