Question re: calories and nutrition

Options
So I am in the process of losing quite a bit of weight. I have been restricting my calories to between 1200-1400 or so and doing a lot of exercise so my “net calories” are usually quite low.

The question is, from a nutrition standpoint, can I ignore the fact that I may be burning off much of these calories since my body still has the opportunity to extract needed nutrients from the food I eat.

I should add that the quality of what I eat is generally very good.

Many thanks.
Tagged:

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? And how much are you exercising?

My concern is: low net calories is essentially starving yourself. There's a limit to how much fat your body can metabolize in a calorie deficit, the rest will come from muscle, which is not something you want to lose (it's a lot easier to lose muscle mass than to build it back up).
    Being in a high calorie deficit increases health risks: gallstones, heart problems (the heart is a muscle...),...
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    @Lietchi
    Right now I am 311 and 6 ft. I have lifted most all my life except for the last several years so I have plenty of muscle. I have also been doing 16/8 intermittent fasting if that makes a difference.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    As someone if 6ft and 311 lbs, you are eating a 'ridiculously' low amount of calories, even if you were sedentary.

I lost all of my weight eating 1700 calories (plus exercise calories) and I'm only 5ft5 and my starting weight was just over 200lbs.

I'll repeat myself, especially knowing your stats: you are risking your health, you're starving yourself. It doesn't matter that you still have muscle mass left from lifting in the past, nor the fact that you're doing intermittent fasting.

You must be losing weight quite rapidly, if your logging is accurate?
  • supercpa999
    Options
    Yes I am losing quite a bit of weight but confused about the logging question. We are not friends on this app so it is my understanding that you can’t view my diary.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    No, i don't have access to your diary. I'm referring to the 1200-1400 calories you mentioned, which is too low if your logging is accurate.
  • supercpa999
    Options
    Ok yes that is accurate.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Generally nutrient deficient diets cause nutrient deficiencies. Essential macros like protein for the amino acids and fats for EPA and DHA the omega 3's should be considered over carbohydrates which are not essential for the bulk of your calories. You can get blood work done by your Dr. over the course of your weight loss specifically for deficiencies. Common deficiencies are iron. iodine, Vit D, B12, calcium and vitamin A and you can take a look and see which foods are best to address these, but like I said get your blood work done a few months out and see what you might need.
  • supercpa999
    Options
    Thanks all
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest that a focus on protein and getting back into doing some weight training will help to maintain lean mass when calories are low. Also giving yourself a break periodically for a week or two helps as well in the long run.