No more Bread!

Options
So, I've recently decided to cut bread out of my diet. I know several people that have and they seem much healthier since then.

But I'm just curious, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a non-bread diet?

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the type of bread and how your body deals with it. Why are you cutting bread out completely? Are there some that work better for you than others?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you like bread, it is something that you will crave more and you may binge because of it. If you don't like bread that much, then you don't have bread in your diet.
  • rawrkeia
    rawrkeia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of bread... or ate. It doesn't really seem to do anything much so far. That's why I'm wondering if I need to be concerned with anything.

And its purely a choice. One of those things I'm tired of being a staple in my diet. I cut out cokes too, though that was nine months ago.
  • jinkies54
    jinkies54 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    here's a link to shed some light on your question. consider it some "food" for thought: http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/20/on-the-evils-of-wheat-why-it-is-so-addictive-and-how-shunning-it-will-make-you-skinny/
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    For me, my stomach hurts less. Also, I am able to eat more protein and veggies when I am not full of bread.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten bread in over a year. Trust me, once you go without it, you won't miss it. I feel so much better without it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    mmmm...bread
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    my me, my pcos is much better plus quick weight loss too. my skin has cleared up as well. i don't handle carbs at all.

main side effect: wanting bread lol
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of bread... or ate. It doesn't really seem to do anything much so far. That's why I'm wondering if I need to be concerned with anything.

And its purely a choice. One of those things I'm tired of being a staple in my diet. I cut out cokes too, though that was nine months ago.

Ok, well the overly simplistic answer is that bread is a carb. It's a tool. Not all bread products are the same, though. I guess I'm hesitant to cut something that I love completely out of my life unless there's a pressing medical reason to. If you know how many carbs you're supposed to have in a day, it's ok to fit some bread in there unless your body has a negative reaction to it. Be mindful of any fats they have if that's a concern. There's a difference between a multigrain dinner roll and a croissant, for example.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    mmmm BANNOCK!
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have cut bread out and thought it would be impossible. My typical breakfast was toast and then I would have sandwiches for lunch. Now I don't really miss it. I will have the occasional sandwich or slice of toast, but I feel a lot less bloated and my body retains less water.
    From personal experience I would recommend it. You will easily find things to replace it with.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't necessarily bad for you, unless you have a gluten intolerance, rather than cutting bread, I'd suggest cutting gluten, making better choices that way. I have made veggie pastas and loved them, but I'd never be able to give up my GF bagels forever...
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Agree! You WILL feel healthier (well, I shouldn't say that-- i should say, "It's very likely you'll feel healthier!")!

I have cut out all bread except Schwebel's Light-- which has 10 net carbs in two slices and 6 grams of fiber (as well as only 70 calories). At most, though, I eat two slices per day of that. It's so low in cals and carbs that I find that i can include a couple of slices in to my previously absolutely-no-bread diet and it doesn't affect me at all.

That said, that is the only bread I eat now. If it ever goes out of production, I just won't eat bread at all. :)
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Now I want bread....
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Ok, but how do you eat a sandwich?
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread, but less of it. I think if you count your calories accurately, you sort of self-regulate what's worth it in terms of calories and what's not. I didn't just make up a bunch of diet rules in advance. Instead, it's like economics. If something you see at the store is not worth the cost, you don't buy it. If the food is not worth the calorie punch, then don't eat it. For me, that means lots of vegetables, moderate amounts of fruit, less bread, less meat, lean meats over non-lean, minimal sweets and oil/fat, hardly any cheese, and I sub low calorie versions of all the foods I normally buy if they taste good (e.g. almond milk, low cal hot dogs, lite salad dressings, etc...).
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    In the immortal words of Scott Pilgrim.... "Bread makes you fat?!?!"

:laugh:
  • ajax25301
    Options
    Hey, I just joined this sight and have just started a gluten free diet myself. I picked up the book "Eat right for your blood type". My blood type (type O) apparently just doesn't like wheat at all so that is my motivation. The choice to go gluten free is hard! At least there are lots of meal options and alternatives in stores. Good luck girl! You are not alone. (Great book by the way...Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is sustainable long-term. There are just too many wonderful tings in this world that include bread. Go GF and see if it helps.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just joined this sight and have just started a gluten free diet myself. I picked up the book "Eat right for your blood type". My blood type (type O) apparently just doesn't like wheat at all so that is my motivation. The choice to go gluten free is hard! At least there are lots of meal options and alternatives in stores. Good luck girl! You are not alone. (Great book by the way...Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo)

You will find, in a month or two, that going GF is so incredibly easy. There are a million options and it is so much easier to make the healthier choice in a restaurant when you can't eat gluten. I'd also suggest, skip the store bought GF breads/snacks, make it at home, it's so much better!