IIFYM - If It Fits Your Macros

Options
IIFYM - If It Fits Your Macros

I had originally blogged this but I figured I would share it to people not on my friend's list so people can reap the benefits of this method. Below I will give a brief explanation of what IIFYM is and what it means.

There is a rumor going around the bodybuilding and fitness world that the "IIFYM crew" are making this into a t-shirt called (in big bold letters):

IIFYM

if it fits your macros - THEN EAT THAT SH*%!

Anyways moving on to explain what exacly this really means.

IIFYM isn't some special diet, it's just a matter of making things easier. It's a matter of letting you fulfill your goals by eating like a normal human being instead of a robot. IIFYM doesn't mean you can stuff your face however much you want with whatever junk food you can shovel down your throat.

IIFYM means that you still eat your normal foods to hit your calorie intake like usual, and to acquire your MINIMUM proteins and fats macros to achieve your goals, but you use the REMAINING amount of calories to eat whatever you want. I will put this into simpler terms and create an example for those that are looking like I just asked them to learn a foreign language in a half an hour.

Example:

200lb man at 20% bodyfat wants to lose weight
TDEE: 3000 calories
Cutting at 1lb per week: 2500 calories
Macro and Micronutrient requirements fulfilled with: 2000 calories
This man has 500 calories left to fill with foods he chooses. These foods should contribute to optimal performance and recovery based on the individual's needs, PREFERENCE, and personal response.

Based on the example above, as long as you hit your minimums of proteins and fats with that 2000 calorie requirement, you can eat or drink 500 calories of "whatever the hell you want" after that. Whether it be a few glasses of wine, a brownie, a cup of ice cream, a hot dog, a few slices of pizza.

IT DOES NOT MATTER. This will STILL yield you 2500 calories a day, which will STILL be eating at a deficit in which you will STILL lose weight. And yes you will STILL be healthy and have your macro AND your micronutrient balance in check.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to let me know.

Talk to everyone soon.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    what is this? ice cream won't make me fat? ;P
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Hehehe.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    ::crickets::
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I picture people reading this with a big "WTF?!" cloud above their heads.
  • Acg67
    Options
    i just picked up 6 more pints of BnJ to go in my freezer
  • joejccva71
    Options
    i just picked up 6 more pints of BnJ to go in my freezer

Chunky Monkey BnJ is full of win.
  • Acg67
    Options
    i did get a pint of that, i already have 12 pints or so in my freezer but hard to pass up a 2/$5 sale
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    Your post makes the assumption that I have been able to figure out my macro and micronutriet requirements. Big assumption. Once I get there, I'll keep the rest in mind. And then I'll pick up some Cherry Garcia.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    We need you back more often Joe :(
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Your post makes the assumption that I have been able to figure out my macro and micronutriet requirements. Big assumption. Once I get there, I'll keep the rest in mind. And then I'll pick up some Cherry Garcia.

Thats the problem with the mods not being able to sticky threads. I have posted countless guides on figuring out TDEE, Calorie Intake, and Macronutrient intake but they die a slow death. I'd be happy to help you figure out your macros, etc., if you want.
  • joejccva71
    Options

I'm back and better than ever!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

:D

Not afraid of being banned anymore? XD
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For weight loss that is a workable plan. Whether it's a good plan for "fitness" (i.e. weight loss and health) would depend on what you eat. A shapely outside is very nice to have, but it will last a lot longer if the inside is also in good shape.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    For weight loss that is a workable plan. Whether it's a good plan for "fitness" (i.e. weight loss and health) would depend on what you eat. A shapely outside is very nice to have, but it will last a lot longer if the inside is also in good shape.

No one is saying to tip back a bottle of McDonald's french fry oil. =)
  • joejccva71
    Options

:D

Not afraid of being banned anymore? XD

It's MFP's loss if I get banned. =)
  • Acg67
    Options

well in terms of weight loss food choices don't make a ton of difference, total cals do. for health purposes, yes food choices make a difference
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No. But it did say "EAT THAT SH*%! " I'm just suggesting that it would be better if you ate good food instead of SH*%, while still staying in your macros, of course. :flowerforyou:
  • PBJunkie
    Options

well in terms of weight loss food choices don't make a ton of difference, total cals do. for health purposes, yes food choices make a difference

This! You should patent that buddy and put it in your signature
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I heart you for this post. :love:
  • joejccva71
    Options

No. But it did say "EAT THAT SH*%! " I'm just suggesting that it would be better if you ate good food instead of SH*%, while still staying in your macros, of course. :flowerforyou:

Bcatt lol...i adore you. =)