Halloween Candy in the Office

Options
Howdy, I need a game plan on how to handle all this candy in the office. Picture a large room full of cubicles with a plastic bucket, usually the shape of a pumpkin, full of candy between every few. Someone brought in Halloween candy Monday and then everyone did. Suggestions on how to keep my hands out of the buckets.

Replies

• radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Commit yourself to log it before you eat it.
    That will make you think twice and help you avoid mindless handfuls of candy.
    Each time you log, you will have the chance to decide if what's in your hand is really worth the calories you are about to consume.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Just say no. Once I "just have one piece" I can't stop.
  • zoodalia
    Options

I agree, I'm exactly the same!
  • zoodalia
    Options

I agree, I'm exactly the same!
  • freshstart4me
    Options
    DONT WALK BY THE DAMN THING!!! ack!!!! avert your eyes, avert your blessed eyes :)
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Think of how many of your co-workers that may not wash their hands after using the washroom!

K
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Halloween Candy is about 1 pt for Weightwatchers or 50 ish calories. Maybe limit yourself to one or two peices a day, move the punkin away from your area, throw celery or carrots in the buckets to prove a point, lol. It's going to be a will power thing on your part though. Good Luck!!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I counter-attack with a large bowl of fruit on offering. This achieves two things: I can dip into my fruit bowl at any time, guilt-free (I log it but don't hold it against myself) and it makes everyone else a little more self concious about what they are eating. When I did this last year fruit bowls popped up all over the office :)
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    ^^ Absolutely what Kazzy_1 said! YUCK!
  • heathhumble
    Options
    Pure will power! just walk away,you don't want it and you don't need it.Keep telling your self that. Good Luck:sad:
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Make a list of how many calories for each piece.. consult the list before you make a choice! It often makes me think twice!
  • cc8088
    Options
    I feel your pain! I work in an office myself and as we speak there is a large bowl literally 5 feet away from me, yes i counted. Here is what I do. I will add it to my food log first and if my calories will allow I might indulge. I usually stick it in my purse though and save it until after dinner. By then I have talked myself out of it. The other thing I do is bring healthy snacks to keep in my desk. This is especially helpful on those dreaded treat days! I bring an apple and a banana each day just in case! I also keep a few granola bars in my desk. Hope this helps!
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i would just AVOID EYE CONTACT WITH IT. if its on the desks, look up at the windows or ahead or above eye level. out of sight, out of mind! thats what i do....
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Chew sugar free gum. Keep your mouth occupied. I suggest the trident desert flavors
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Duct tape oven mitts onto your hands.

OR, start buying candy you don't like and filling the bowl yourself. That way you're not tempted.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    There's a couple ways to handle it:

If you think you can have a few pieces and stop - then pick your very favorite ones, find out the serving size, eat that many, log it and call it good. Grab them in the morning and have one right away, have one after lunch and one before you go home (or whatever will equal the serving size). For me, when I see candy and decide I'm going to eat it, I want the most bang for my buck. Meaning, I want the biggest serving size I can get for the smallest amount of calories and that is how I decide what I'll eat. :)

If you don't think you can have the serving size and be done with it - then I'm afraid I would avoid it all together. I am not usually a person who says 'IGNORE IT!" because I feel like making certain foods off limits is too much like a diet and you become resentful and will binge. But, if you can't stay away from it - then don't do it.
  • lorneq
    Options
    Too Funny, Kazzy. That will stick. Also, logging it before.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Halloween should be limited to one week only!! I started seeing Halloween displays in stored last month, for goodness' sake. I will only indulge if it is my absolute favorite candy. Of course, I have a lot of favorites. LOL But I'm not going to ruin my plans for some stupid M&M's. That candy had better be something spectacular! :)
  • sock_17
    sock_17 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I actually am the candy lady at my office. . .but in my defense, I'm "selling" my candy. I have my candy jar on my desk right beside my donation container for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I have had this jar here for months and I’ve been really good at keeping my hands out of it. I always log what I take but I think what stops me the most is that I always PAY for what I take (even though I’m the one who bought the candy in the first place). If I don’t have any money (and I usually don’t lol) then I can’t have any candy. Maybe you can start paying for any candy you take and then donate that money somewhere. Not only will you have to pay for it in calories but you’ll also have to pay for it in cash!
    ~ Jamie
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Candy corn is like crack!