Strange Feeling in Legs After Walking

Options
I go out walking a lot throughout the day, and I researched this topic to not end but could not find an answer other than, "It's your fat melting off of your body!"

After walking, I'll sit down and for at least five to ten minutes, and my legs have this strange "pop" feeling. It doesn't hurt at all, but it just feels like some little person is inside of my body and lightly kicking my legs from the inside. It doesn't matter if I walk for ten minutes or an hour. However, the more I increase the speed of my walking, the longer it lasts. I've been experiencing this for about two months. I've never felt it before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jo

Replies

• TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you're talking about!! Mine do that too!! No idea what it is though, sorry.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    before I used to get a tingly feeling all over my legs after a walk or run. I think it's just the blood circulating. hth
  • cassblue21
    Options
    Mine do that as well! I am not sure what it is but I have assumed it was my muscles working to burn the fat. :) I like to think it is anyways!
  • dusk1977
    Options
    mine do that so would love to see people's answers :smile:
  • witchyboots
    witchyboots Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I get this after exercise too - especially after step aerobics or brisk walking - I just assumed it was cos I'm actually using my legs :laugh:
  • papa5280
    Options
    Sounds like muscle twitches. Two suggestions...one, I'd make sure you're fully hydrated. Two, you might want to do a little cool-down or stretching after you walk.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have felt this aswell. It is very weird!
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I theorize that it's the blood pumping around your swollen ateries and veins if it's a kind of twitchy regular feeling. I get that sometimes especially when it cold outside
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Don't have an answer for you but your not alone... I used to get that too but it hasn't happend for a while now. I started taking Omega Complex for my knee and since then it stopped... Don't know if its related but ok.. it works for me!
  • roebuck1908
    Options
    Have you though it could be you knees making feel strange both my knee cartilage have been cleaned out as I had strange noise coming from my legs . I don't believe it would be It's your fat melting off of your body.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    If its sort of like your muscles are fluttering, I would get that too. I have no real basis for this, but I've always thought it was from lack of water. It never happens when I'm well hydrated.
  • michelle_vankat
    Options
    Mine do that too! I have always imagined that it is little fat cells "popping." I know it's just muscle twitches or blood circulating, but I like my theory better! :wink:
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    LOL okay heres your answer-you put that in the funniest way though. this is natural and happens to everyone at first so dont worry- there are methods of prevention below that i never knew about.

Overview
    Muscle spasms occur when your muscles contract involuntarily. This occurrence can be both painful and alarming, especially when you have just finished an exercise routine and may be concerned that you have experienced a muscle injury. While not typically cause for concern, muscle spasms can indicate the need for improved muscle conditioning or nutrition before and during an exercise session.

Causes
    Muscle spasms that occur after exercise tend to have two chief causes. The first is muscle fatigue. If you are resuming an exercise program or sport after a break, your muscles may not be prepared to work at the level they were previously capable of sustaining, which can result in overload and spasms. The second cause is dehydration relates to lost sweat during your exercise session. Along with water, your sweat contains sodium, a mineral needed to keep your muscles functioning properly. If you lose too much water and salts through sweat during your exercise session, you may experience pain.

Prevention
    If you have experienced muscle cramps in the past, take preventive measures before future exercise sessions. These can include drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day and increasing your fluid intake before, during and after your workout. If the temperature is very hot or you know you will be exercising intensely, try drinking an electrolyte-containing beverage, which has salts that can help to replenish lost sodium. A good five- to 10-minute stretching session following your warm-up can help to loosen your muscles. You also should stretch after your exercise routine.

Treatment
    If you do experience post-workout muscle spasms, take a few extra moments to stretch the muscle. This can help relieve tension and tightness that can result from cramping. If you are currently experiencing a spasm, a heating pad also may soothe the cramping muscle. However, if you are dealing with soreness after a spasm, ice is a better anti-inflammatory choice. Continue to drink water or electrolyte-replacing beverages after your workout to ease dehydration. Taking a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, also can help reduce pain and inflammation after the muscle cramp.
    Warning
    If you experience muscle cramping that does not go away after several hours or keeps recurring, seek medical treatment. Extremely painful muscle cramps also may warrant medical attention. Frequent muscle cramping can indicate a mineral imbalance, including calcium, potassium or magnesium deficiencies. Muscle spasms also can be the result of impaired nerve or brain function.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/367251-muscle-spasms-after-a-workout/#ixzz1YbwMA0co
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    Hi there. That feeling in your legs happens to me as well. Turns out to be the nerves in your body continuing the walking motion when you are done. For me, the feeling increases when the weather is hotter and I have been sweating more or walking faster.
    Hope this helps.
    :wink: :wink:
  • Moofey
    Moofey Posts: 444
    Options
    I get the same thing :) I guess this is normal if we all get it!
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    And what I am experiencing is not the muscle cramping that can sometimes happen. :-)