new to Fitness Pal

Options
Hi 'm new to my fitness pal. I ran a couple of marathons and was pretty fit for an old guy. Three years ago I had open heart surgery to replace a faulty valve I was born with. No wonder I had a hard time finishing a marathon four months earlier. Later the same year I hurt my back and had my back fused April 2010. I've gained 40 lbs and really need to get back out there, but back in my mind I know the pain I went through and still have makes it hard to start exercising all over again. Big uphill climb I know and am stubborn enough to do it but still could use a little support.

Replies

• ilike2run
    ilike2run Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Taking responsibility for your health is the number one BEST thing you can do to turn things around. I love this site!!! Add me if you'd like, :)
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Good for you indeed! And feel free to add me as a friend if you wish. This is a very, very supportive community, and very encouraging.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My father had a faulty valve too! Glad your Doctors found it. Great support here, go ahead and add me if you would like.
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to mfp. This is a wonderful site.
    I also had spinal fusion, Feb 2011. I have been on here since July to work on losing the 35 lbs. I gained during my recovery. It's rough, since I still deal with pain, but I still work through it.
    Would love to support you on your journey! Friend add on the way!:flowerforyou:
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    This is a great place for support!! I never thought I could wake up my metabolism from hibernation. I continue to be motivated because of results and feedback from MFP friends:smile:
  • dlkangels4
    Options
    Well, looks like we are the same age and I have never run a marathon...that is great !! Sounds like you are avery determined person, and don't give in to lifes problems. So you will probably reach your goal and be back on track in no time !!! You're an inspiration to the older generation !! GOOD LUCK !!!
  • mxmandani
    Options
    You got this! Feel free to add me
  • jstrohs1
    Options
    Add me and I'll cheer you on. Us old guys got to stick together!
  • rdbailey92
    rdbailey92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting me add you, I can always use encouragement
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Welcome, this is a great site for support and encouragement. I am in the same age bracket with a few war wounds myself, but like you I have always been active and I just need to make healthier choices with my diet. Would be happy to give you support if you like.
  • rdbailey92
    rdbailey92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, much appreciated
  • jeffwaller3
    Options
    Definitely even just a little bit of encouragement would really go a long way.It may be hard for you to get back to what you used to be doing but you can by all means get back to it for long as you have the motivation and determination to do it.There are a couple of ways to do it like calories burned walking, I really love walking and it's also a form of exercise so you can start from the simple stuffs.

http://www.weightlosingportal.com/calories-burned-walking/