People who have done a mud run/ obstacle course....

Options
Good morning peeps :happy: On Saturday morning I'm running the MCRD bootcamp challenge, a 3 mile run with the obstacle course the marines use in their training. Well, this is the first time I'm participating in anything like this, so I'm really excited and really nervous!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to what to wear? Should I wear old baggy clothes that I don't mind throwing away, or should I get some tight running clothes so that the weight (when I get muddy) doesn't slow me down? Should I wear sunglasses, or is that going to be a pain?

What kind of experiences have you guys had with these races? I wanna hear your stories :)

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I went to Wal Mart and got some $4 bike shorts and wore an old tank top I didn't care about because after the race I threw them away. You don't want a lot of loose clothing to collect mud.

I also wore old shoes that I was about to donate. My race had a donation box.

I liked mine and didn't run it hard core because my one main concern was that with mud, you can't see what you are stepping into. And I have one bad ankle so I was careful going into the pits. I also never put my knees down. I did a funky crab/duck squat through the tunnels and deeper pits under the tarps. I didn't want to cut up my knees.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I say tighter fitting clothes that you don't care about, as little extra as possible unless it's cheap and you don't care if it's ruined. lots of towels and trashbag for your seat.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have done two of these types of runs...Warrior Dash and Spartan Race....both were a lot of fun! I love every minute of it. Its great to say you not only completed running but also physical challenges as well.

I wore a t-shirt, shorts...they are on the older side since they will get muddy and mine are basically only going to be used again for these kinds of runs. I highly suggest socks that come up to your knees (since you will most likely be crawling) and work type gloves (gardening, old batting gloves, etc). You will appreciate having them if you are having to do any kind of rope pulls, rope climbs, etc. I didn't wear sunglasses, you could but they might get muddy too. I also wore trail sneakers tied extra tight and triple knotted.

Good luck!
  • nordam
    Options
    Oh my! I did my first one this past spring and had SO much fun!!! I don't think you need glasses, and if you do, they will probably just get mud splattered anyway. Also, I do still wear the clothes I wore at the run but it took lots of river baths, hose-downs, and washing machine cycles and repeated use to get the dirt and dust out. My friends and I wore matching outfits for fun but I soon realized that was pointless because we were immediately caked with mud. Everyone looks the same!

The frustrating point was that the run was so crowded that we had to wait for each obstacle. I actually was cold running the race because of all the time standing around. It was the first time the race was hosted in Seattle, so I don't know if that was part of it or what. Next time I will get an earlier heat.

Regardless, it was a blast and everyone in the run thought so! I will definitely do it again next year!

Have fun!
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    tighter clothing you don't mind chucking when you are done and old shoes!
    gloves are goo das well. I wore long running tights so my legs were completely covered.

Good luck, they are LOADS of fun! I was supposed to be doing another one in a few weeks but my chiro has said I shouldn't due to still getting over lower back and shoulder injury.

Oh yeah, don't bother with the sunglasses, odds are they will get scratched by the mud or lost.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I I just finished my second Warrior Dash a couple of weeks ago and a friend of mine asked me to write a review. I have posted the link below, you may find it helpful but I think the one you are going to do is much harder but it will give you an idea.

I recommend tight clothing, something that you will be able to run it when they get wet and muddy. Wear old shoes as well.

Hope that helps.

http://teamrevolutionx.com/cross-training/so-you-want-to-be-a-warrior-written-by-diana-limon-gonzalez/

diana
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If there are water obstacles, be sure to wear quick-dry, tighter fitting clothing as the water will weight down any baggy, cotton clothing you might wear. Definitely be ready to chuck your shoes, and possibly your clothes afterwards. Depends on the amount (and type) of mud. Have fun!!!
  • nordam
    Options
    Oh yes! Bring a change of clothes! And plastic bags to put your dirt clothes in. Maybe also some water to wash off with.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I was going for "what clothes will not hold the water when I go through the mud?" If you wear black the mud won't stain. While high socks and gloves may be a good idea I didn't wear any of these and was fine (small scrape on my knee) just remember to propel yourself using the inside of your foot and forearms instead of your kness, elbows or hands (weight displacement), but then again my course didn't have any ropes. My run was 7.2 miles, and there was 1.5 - 2 miles of running after the mud pit, so it would have driven me nuts to run in anything heavy. You'll go, you'll do it, and then you'll figure out your preference.
  • rbvaudrizle
    rbvaudrizle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do the spartan race everytime it comes into town. Wear the least possible cause if it gets dirty and full of mud it will become heavy and will slow you down. I use nike dryfit shirt and shorts. I do not normally wear tight shirts and short shorts but it really makes moving around easy. My first race i wore a cotton tshirt that was i was willing to throw away to begin with...it cost me dearly. I did not want to throw it into the woods because i do not like littering but it became heavy and uncomfortable. Once i tried getting over walls and going underneath obstacles i was ready to throw it into the woods. Sunglasses will get dirty so if you are ready to take a few seconds to clean them because of the sun in your eyes then go for it.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have ZILCH experience. So therefore my response won't hold much weight, but your whole baggy-clothes-could-drag-down makes sense. Leggings?
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I just did Tough Mudder and I would highly advise wearing tight clothing. I went to a store and bought a cute workout outfit and wore it that day :-) I would not wear glasses if they are expensive you may lose them!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good info! I'm doing my first Merrell Down & Dirty mud run next month. Merrell's website also suggests wearing pants/shorts WITHOUT pockets, since they can become filled with mud. I hadn't thought about gloves, that's good to know.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys very much!!! I'm a tiny bit less nervous now :tongue:

I hadn't given any thought to gloves, but I happen to have an old pair that I will bust out (there will be ropes.. ouch!). I also didn't think about the change of clothes or trash bags for my car seats! I'm so glad you guys brought that to my attention.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous! In a good way of course :tongue:

Check out my blog for pics of what I wore. I would wear the boots again, any time I run in mud because they provided so much traction. They did get heavy, but I had trained in them, both wet and dry, so the extra weight was nothing new.

And yes, def wear gloves! I wore my gym gloves. Just washed them up along with the rest of my clothes...nothing was stained or ruined. I'm counting the months till my next one!

Have an awesome time!!!!! Be sure to tell us all about it when you're done! :) xoxo
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I did my first mud run in March & had such a blast I've done 2 more since then! I took a pair of old sweatpants and cut them into shorts thinking that would be something I wouldn't mind just throwing away after the race. BIG MISTAKE. The 1st obstacle was a lake we had to go through and those "sweatshorts" absorbed water like a roll of paper towels. It was terrible! Now I have a cheap pair of black running shorts and tank top I got at Target and that makes running a lot easier! Another tip -- avoid wearing a white top. It was very evident I was cold when I rinsed off! LoL (I had a white top & sports bra)
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Thanks for the great question.
  • olivedrab
    olivedrab Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Glad to see all these great tips. I'm doing my first mud run next month!
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'mgoing to staart tring for Warrior Dash in Decem to run next April. I need the time because I'm not a runner!

I was going to post almost the exact same thing when I got home later but now I don't have to. Thanks for all the great info!